Disneyland ½ Marathon Weekend~2012 Check-in!

SEVEN WEEKS!!!

Seven!

Speaking of 7, that's how many miles I ran last night. It felt pretty good! How is everyone's training going?

So, we ended up going to Disneyland last weekend. We were there late Friday, all day Saturday, and part of Sunday. I have say, for a weekend in July and with all the hype, it didn't feel crazy busy. We managed to do and see quite a bit in that time. Knowing we would be back soon, we purposely skipped a lot and focused on our favorites. We never waited more than 15 minutes for anything.

We were going to save Carsland for our big trip but then went ahead walked through. I cried. It is unbelievable. Amazing. Beautiful. The wait for Mater's ride was 15 minutes so we jumped on. It's a total crack up. We loved it. We saved the rest for the September trip.

Anyway, all this is to say that I think the crowds will be manageable during race weekend and after. I hope I'm right!

:goodvibes

I ran the Wine & Dine half last year. I had a large breakfast, a smaller lunch, then just fruit and salad around 6. I got to the start area around 8 and wished I had a snack with me (other than what I run with) because I was hungry by the time the race started.

I'm in for the Disneyland Half Marathon! This is my first post! I have been active on another WDW board, but I needed somewhere to chat about Disneyland!

I ran the Princess Half Marathon Feb 2011.

We'll be there Sept 1-2 for the expo and race then we'll be back to visit the parks Sept 3-5

I ran a half marathon in May that I was well trained for. Then I just kept on my own running here and there pretty regularly until we went on vacation. Then I ended up taking a whole month off!! I just couldn't find my mojo...or maybe I needed to take the time off. That being said, I'm back into it, focused on the Disneyland Half. My goal is to get a 10-miler in before the race. I know I will survive then.

We were going to save Carsland for our big trip but then went ahead walked through. I cried. It is unbelievable. Amazing. Beautiful.

Anyway, all this is to say that I think the crowds will be manageable during race weekend and after. I hope I'm right!

:goodvibes

I'm so thrilled for Carsland. In our itinerary, I have us spending as much time as we want there, and then I have time allotted to come back later as well.

I hope the crowds are managable too. I have heard that this time of year is usually pretty mellow since kids are back in school and such. Part of the reason we are skipping the parks on race day and coming back a day later is just to avoid the race crowds. We have a grandparent to visit in the area and some pool time on the books ;)

Posted this in the other thread but thought if post it here too.

Does anyone wear VFF's? I just ordered a pair of the Bikila's for only $48 shipped! I'm excited to try them but I'm not going to really run in them until after the Half in Sept. I hear you have to start out slowly.

Does anyone wear VFF's? I just ordered a pair of the Bikila's for only $48 shipped! I'm excited to try them but I'm not going to really run in them until after the Half in Sept. I hear you have to start out slowly.

I don't use them (don't like things between my toes), but I have used other minimal type shoes for training. People like them for different reasons. If you want to force yourself to run more on the balls of your feet, like bare foot, they are great for that. Not too many racers and fast types use them though.

If you find you don't like them, you might try some of the other minimal shoes from Inov-8 or one of the big name brands.

My first time doing the Disneyland Half and my first time to Disneyland and a solo trip!! So spill it! what are the MUST do's in the area? For those that have done the Princess half in WDW (me 2 times) how does the course compare? best of dining? hot spots outside of Disneyland? I should also add I'm a Georgia girl and this will be my first time in California!

Kim hit most of the highlights, a few things I would add:

- Submarine ride (Nemo)
- Indiana Jones ride
- Space Mountain (much better and smoother than the WDW version)
- California Screaming

I second the Blue Bayou suggestion, but if you can't get in there, they have a place across the lane that has similar food. The Monte Cristo sandwich is very decadent.

If you like beer/wine, they sell it at California Adventure after noon.

So trying to decide on how many days to spend in the parks. It's probably a good idea not to go on Saturday and walk around too much the day before the race, ha?

noga said:
So trying to decide on how many days to spend in the parks. It's probably a good idea not to go on Saturday and walk around too much the day before the race, ha?

I usually do. Lol. But we usually head out around 6pm for dinner then go to bed.

Haven't used them, but from everything I have read you have to take your time to adjust.
I have just transitioned into a minimalist type shoe (not completly barefoot type). It's Kinvara made by Saucony. I really like them for now. Haven't run any long miles in them yet but have done my short runs in them and love them.

I went to Disneyland early in the morning, spent much of the afternoon at the Race Expo before heading back for a ride and dinner before going back to my room for an early bedtime. I think I finally fell asleep around. The harder part is going back to the park after the race.

This week reminds me of why I signed up for the race. I don't really have the motivation to go to the gym and work out, but knowing that I'm in the Disneyland 1/2 provides sufficient motivation to suck it up and go train.

It depends on your goals. I would be careful about doing it and would probably only go for a few hours at most. Make sure and carry water with you so you can keep hydrated all day.

As much as I love hanging in the park, I usually only go in for a ride or two and then try and keep off my feet. Last year I jogged the 5k with my daughters and then went to the parks until 1:00. At the race the next morning I really noticed the fatigue on my legs by mile 5 (normally wouldn't notice until mile 9).

It depends on your goals. I would be careful about doing it and would probably only go for a few hours at most. Make sure and carry water with you so you can keep hydrated all day.

As much as I love hanging in the park, I usually only go in for a ride or two and then try and keep off my feet. Last year I jogged the 5k with my daughters and then went to the parks until 1:00. At the race the next morning I really noticed the fatigue on my legs by mile 5 (normally wouldn't notice until mile 9).

Thanks guys. I was wondering about that. Normally I wouldn't do a whole lot the day before the race. Maybe a walk to loosen up the muscles, but with it being Disneyland :rotfl:
And I am sure I will walk around the Expo. So, I will just need to make sure I don't get wrapped up in the "magic" and forget myself

The half marathon is just five weeks away. The journey, I call running has been so interesting with all of its highs and lows, glory and pain. Today I ran a tough 7 miles but I learned a lot about what not to do next time. I don't think I took good care of myself yesterday. Not enough water, good carbs and I didn't stretch the day before to prepare my body for the run. My socks were too loose and I have blisters on my toes. This won't happen again!!
How is everyone doing on their training?

5 weeks!

It's been an interesting journey for me, too. Sadly, this week it feels REALLY low and though I haven't quit, I'm having a hard time finding my groove.

Tomorrow is another day (and another run) so trying to adjust my attitude and keep moving forward!

I'm very excited about the vacation part of the trip including surprising my family with 2 nights at the DLH!

5 weeks! :cool1:

Certainly we all have our ups and downs in training cycles. I was afraid I might be having the beginning of some knee issues, after a ramped up week of training. But, all seems well now.

Keep in mind we all have different goals . . . :), but this week was good for me. I did 48 miles for the week and did a 17 mile run yesterday where I increased the tempo at each third and finished running marathon race pace for the final four miles. I iced afterward and everything feels good. I'm still hoping I have one more PR in me at 48, so I'm going to go for it. :cool1:

My younger son is signed up for the 5k with my wife but he went and broke his ankle. He should have the cast off just before the race but there's no way he can run. I know the rules don't allow him to get a medal unless he runs the race. Thinking outside the box...and a little crazy, but what if he started walking and waited for the race group to pull him off the course due to the 16 min/mile pace rule (or is that just for the half marathon). Would he still be eligible for the medal if he's pulled from the race? Any other ideas on how to get this poor kid his medal....he trained so hard.

My younger son is signed up for the 5k with my wife but he went and broke his ankle. He should have the cast off just before the race but there's no way he can run. I know the rules don't allow him to get a medal unless he runs the race. Thinking outside the box...and a little crazy, but what if he started walking and waited for the race group to pull him off the course due to the 16 min/mile pace rule (or is that just for the half marathon). Would he still be eligible for the medal if he's pulled from the race? Any other ideas on how to get this poor kid his medal....he trained so hard.

The medals are only available after crossing the line. They make it pretty clear that people who get swept don't get a medal, but I wouldn't be shocked if they let it go for the 5k. You would still have to get him to the finish though. I think the only chance is have someone else run it for him or cut the course. The 16 min/mile thing is pretty loose for this run. I think a kid could walk the whole thing and still not get swept. I finished with my daughters at 45 minutes last year and it felt like we were in the middle of the pack. I bet if he could walk it he could finish (if his foot was healed enough).

I'm sure he has trained hard, but will the medal mean that much to him if he really didn't complete the course? I don't want to disappoint him, but have to drop a race due to injury is pretty common and it makes it that much more special when you actually get to complete it.

The half marathon is just five weeks away. The journey, I call running has been so interesting with all of its highs and lows, glory and pain. Today I ran a tough 7 miles but I learned a lot about what not to do next time. I don't think I took good care of myself yesterday. Not enough water, good carbs and I didn't stretch the day before to prepare my body for the run. My socks were too loose and I have blisters on my toes. This won't happen again!!

You should try some Body Glide or other "lubricant" on the feet, between the toes, and other places you might "rub".
I usually don't have issues with blister or chafing until I get up in mileage.

My training is going well. Did 5.5 miles yesterday at 11:34 avg pace. This includes my walk warm-up & cool-down. I felt it in my legs towards the end of the run but not too bad. I was on my feet quite a bit the day before volunteering so it was a good lesson to relax more on Saturday before the race. Thank goodness I reserved a cabana by the pool :)

I'll hit my longest run of 9 miles a week before the race. I should be tapering down to 3 miles the week of the race for my long run according to my training plan but that isn't going to happen. Doing the goofy training plan right now.

I'm still a bit nervous just due to my corral placement but not nervous on being able to finish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter