DisneyGroom POV: Heather and John's Wishes Wedding 10/24/12- Hallowedding LOA Signed!

Wow. So that means you and Heather on the 24th, K80K on the 25th, and me on the 26th! How crazy and fun.

Congrats on picking a new date and it working out! :thumbsup2

Super cool! We'll all be around... however yours is in Coronado Springs... but we'll have to catch up...

awesome! im glad things are working out!

:thanks:

Awesome John! What a stress relief for you!

It sure is! Now on the more stressful parts...

The weekends always make me glad I don't work retail anymore.

Yes, it was a random statement, especially for a starting post, but eh, it makes me happy that I can actually relax and enjoy my friday night with Heather and the weekend that follows.

I don't think I say it much (if at all) on here, but I really love my girl. She's been so awesome to me, for all these years, and I feel so grateful to be able to spend these next 15+ months planning such an awesome wedding.

I've been considering the planning session trip in April. At first it was going to be in early April, but with the date change, we will be pushing back the session until later in the month. That's fine with me, I guess it'll have to do. Heather's mom will be traveling with us, and I'm actually glad we have her with us. When she came to the bridal showcase with us, she seemed really excited and really into it all. She's never been to Disney before the showcase in over 20 years, and it was nice to have someone else see it for a first time; it's an exciting feeling (like christmas, when you give someone a gift... the excitement you get when they open it is priceless).

We talked about a plan on which dates... April 26 - 30th. Just a few days, it's a cost thing... and also for the fact we don't have much vacation time. We need to save as many as we can get for the wedding weeks.

The plan was to get DVC points for AKV, and enjoy the savannah view. But now, after a good day or two to sit on it, I'm thinking we should just settle for a Pop Century weekend. Every dollar saved is important, especially with the huge (unknown) budget that is going to hit us a month after the planning session. And for the fact that we could be getting the 20% AP discount, I think it's in our best interest to do POP. It's all good though, b/c DVC will definitely be happening for the Honeymoon. We are still discussing the wedding week... I still think GF may be the best option, but I'll think about that some more another day.

For now, I think it's time to enjoy tonight and get ready for the family dinner this weekend.

There hasn't been much news over the weekend. Family came over and we discussed the date change. They were all for it. They seem to like anytime but June-September. They are not summer Disney fans!

Either way, we started to look over photography. Specifically for the Engagement Photos. Our plan is to go down for the planning session, and do the trial run for her hair/makeup and get pics down there. While looking through the regular list of vendors (ie. Misty, Root, Randy, Cory), I thought they would be just that- regular. I'm looking for something different, something a little unique. By all means, all of their styles are awesome, and I really like Root. But as many times as they have done it, I'm not sure I just want to be another stat for their Disney themed Engagement Photos. Then again, I'd be a hypocrite by saying it's possible we would be choosing them for the wedding shots, which we might be. I guess I just want different, at least for the Engagement Photos.

So, for months, I've been glued to one of my high school friends' website who has a full time business. Her style is very colorful and outgoing. It's different than some of the others on the list of regulars. I like different, so I figured I'd reach out to her.

One thought that I knew would catch me off guard -- She lives in South Jersey, and the Engagement photos would obviously be done in Disney. I wasn't sure how she'd take it, but I wanted a good sell to her. I really like what she does, and I wanted to try to find a way to get her aboard.

I gave her all the details for the weekend we are going down. Explained how we aren't looking for "cheesy" Disney hats and balloons (sorry). We want natural shots she'd accustomed to, but with subtle Disney (ie. Walking on the Polynesian beach near dusk, with the lights of the Castle glowing from a far). We suggested since she has a family with 2 kids, to go down as a vacation a couple days prior to scope out the scenes we like, and get creative. She's been to Disney before, so it isn't all new to her. But it is new for her photos to be Disney. And this is exactly why we chose her for these pictures. "We'd like to think we're changing it up a little." She has a certain style, but now being in a different environment, challenges you to be different. Again, we aren't looking for a cookie-cutter photographer who's done these, time and time again at Disney. Surely, they know the ins and outs, but it's often times good to feel refreshed, and genuine.

So, she said she'd read over my email, then send over details on her thoughts soon. I'm excited and nervous, I'd love to have her go.

To get a glimpse of what she does, you can visit Kristy's company, Syllipsi Photography, at www.syllipsiphoto.com

That's awesome that you can bring in your own photographer...it's even better that it's someone you know and that you can trust. I agree that photographers who do Disney a lot tend to do the same thing over and over. I'm sure your friend will see Disney as a blank canvas and will come up with a ton of new and original shots!

Congrats on the date change too! Glad to see you got the ever so coveted 2:30 time slot lol. We are getting married at the same time and here's how our timeline looks just to give you an idea of flow:

Ceremony: 2:30-3:30
Pre-Reception: 3:30-4:30
Reception: 4:30-8:00
Dessert Party: 8:30-9:30

Not sure if the Wishes fireworks run the same time as illuminations (which is what we're doing) but if so...I think your timeline will be a little similar.

Keep up with the awesome plans! Can't wait to see more!

I haven't given up, no no. It's been a while and a lot has gone down.

For starters, the whole Photography situation put us in a bit of a dilemma for a good week or so. While it would have been really cool to have my high school friend do the photography, the cost to have her there exceeded what we originally thought. The packages were extremely reasonable... if it was a local wedding, but paying her to get down there was way too much between airfare and accommodations. It just didn't make sense. I feel bad for not choosing her, but we can't do anything that isn't possible. HOWEVER, we gave ourselves 3 options...

Technically, we could have her down, so to give a total cost it would have been:

Kristy -- Total Package with E-shots/wedding and tons of goodies such as books and prints $2,999 Add in Travel expenses, and it's an additional $1,200. Looking at a rough estimate of $4,200. Still a lot cheaper than some of the people in Orlando already, but they have the Disney experience.

Misty -- She was a choice that we thought would be great. We liked her style (at first, I'd admit, wasn't my cup of tea, but I've grown to it) and the price was similar to Kristy's with the travel fees.

Root -- Root is, was and always would be our main choice. We love their style, and taking out all the reviews on the Disboards, we'd still pick them mainly for their looks. It's also nice that it's a 2 person team consisting of a married couple who strive on having the best! Not to down play anyone else, but they just seem to go above and beyond. The downside was the price. Eeks... We got their pricing guide and we didn't know what to make of it. However, we knew great pictures were going to come at a price. We slept on it overnight... okay, maybe 3 nights. I think at one point it became apparent we couldn't afford them and added a supplement option instead of Root.

Cory -- Cory's look was good and simple. We wanted to get more information, so Heather sent him an email....... a week later... no response.

At this point, confused with which to choose, we added the possibility of using PhotoMingle. We've been talking about it for months now and we really were excited about its use. We got our quote, had a lot of our questions answered, and it was almost a done deal for us to get.

Until that is when I came up with a plan on how to get Root part of our wedding. ;)

We know we want a lot of hours. We have a long day ... adding in DP, it turns into a 8-10 hour day. We also want shots of us getting ready and all. So we factored in 10 hours.

We aren't doing the E-shots anymore since our plan was using the e-shots as our STDs, but if we are going down 6 months prior for the planning, the STDs aren't needed that late in the planning. We also decided to eliminate the canvas wrap. This leaves us with Package 1, with 4 hours. We did the a la carte options to add 6 more hours and we have a VERY decent package price for what we want; a lot cheaper than what we originally saw a week prior.

So, Root it IS!! These pictures are definitely worth a thousand "extra" then some of the other options, but they will mean so much more to us, and we are glad we are going to get what we want!!

After emailing Root a few times, we came up with an awesome addition. I wanted to take my groomsmen out for a guys day out (similar to a bachelor party, but watered down). I've been going back and forth with the same old activities like parasailing, jet skiing, etc. But then I thought of the Richard Petty Driving Experience. We could all do a ride a long for a little, then go to dinner at either the ESPN Zone or outside Disney, the Medieval Times Dinner. I also sent an email to ESPN's Wide World of Sports to see if we could a private batting practice type deal.

All in all.. the plan for this day would be to have Root follow us during the experience and shoot our couple hours. They loved the idea.. now we just need to work out the details.

So, X on PhotoMingle (too much cost, and don't need it since we have an awesome Photography team), X on Eshots (for now, Heather still wants them, maybe up in PA in Novemberish)... X on Misty and Cory. Actually, Cory called Heather just yesterday, a week after our original email. Oh well!

And to our surprise and excitement.... Root is our Photographer.

Yes, it has been a long week and a half. :thumbsup2

Congrats on getting Roots photography. Glad to hear you have one more check off your list.

That's awesome that you can bring in your own photographer...it's even better that it's someone you know and that you can trust. I agree that photographers who do Disney a lot tend to do the same thing over and over. I'm sure your friend will see Disney as a blank canvas and will come up with a ton of new and original shots!

Congrats on the date change too! Glad to see you got the ever so coveted 2:30 time slot lol. We are getting married at the same time and here's how our timeline looks just to give you an idea of flow:

Ceremony: 2:30-3:30
Pre-Reception: 3:30-4:30
Reception: 4:30-8:00
Dessert Party: 8:30-9:30

Not sure if the Wishes fireworks run the same time as illuminations (which is what we're doing) but if so...I think your timeline will be a little similar.

Keep up with the awesome plans! Can't wait to see more!

It's a shame we switched it all around (see above), but it's all worth it! Originally we were thinking doing Italy DP and seeing Illuminations, but I think Wishes fits us best!!

Congrats on getting Roots photography. Glad to hear you have one more check off your list.

Absolutely!! Now it's just time to actually book them and pay the deposit.

That's awesome! Congrats! Isn't it fun when you find loopholes in things to make your life easier?? lol

I feel like photography is one of the harder things to nail down in the planning process, but it looks like you will be in absolutely wonderful hands and have great results. So happy for you! :thumbsup2

It's been real quiet the last week. I wish there was something major going on, but besides being sick and having a funeral to attend, there wasn't much going on.

We are awaiting an email back from Root so we can get a contract together and sign.

The discussion to eliminate the e-Shots came up again. This time, we have talked through it and decided not to go in November of this year, but do the e-Shots with Root in April/May whenever our planning session is.

Videography... hmmm... We narrowed it down to a potential 3...

Simply Cinematic
Cinematique Films
Starfruit Productions

I think I have the one I'd like.. Heather has a favorite too... This is gonna be a tough decision.. I thought photography was going to be hard and video was the easiest... mainly because I wasn't keen on videography to begin with. But now... WOW.. it's gonna be a while for this decision.

Don't think I didn't miss the Dis! Yes folks, it's been a long month since I last wrote.

I can't say it was an easy month to go through, but it definitely flew by. It's my favorite time of the year, between birthdays, holidays, great north east weather and concrete wedding planning!!

First let me say that I, and my family survived the hurricane, tornado, earthquake, floods and major UFO sightings all in the one dark week of August. Okay, okay, I kid, there wasn't much of tornado, although a UFO sighting isn't off my bucket list. :lmao: (In all seriousness, the floods were crazy up here in the Jersey/Philly area. And yes, we did see a tornado, too close for comfort for me)

We moved into our second apartment in as many years a couple weeks ago. Packing was rough, however the unpack was surprisingly easy and quick. I'm hoping we won't need to move in the next 2-3 years. It would be nice to get through the next year and a half with attention on the wedding then looking for a house (which is our next step).

One of my major goals in the next 6-8 months prior to the wedding is to hit the gym as much as I can. I'm in need of a weight loss of around 50lbs. We both have a specific goal, and getting it done before the planning session in April is the main objective.

Speaking of Planning Session..... We have decided that our PS will be April 21st - 26. We haven't decided on the place of stay, but probably end up being Pop Century.

Also, adding to the PS talk.. we finally sent out our signed agreement with deposit to Root! Super exciting!! They are so awesome, and we can't wait to get this started. We will have the engagement session with them on Sunday, April 22nd, when we are down for the planning session.

We haven't made a decision on videography yet. It's disappointing that we may have to cut funds in that area. I'm hoping we don't have to come to that, but the ones we want, have a deposit requirement at higher than we anticipated. But anyways, we have a little more time to think it over...

To bridge over to deposits, our Disney deposit/LOA is coming rapidly!! What is exciting is being able to book our honeymoon, planning session and wedding week stay all around the same 2 months after the LOA is signed. Love planning our trips to Disney!!! Our security deposit from the previous apartment is paying for Disney's deposit, so hopefully we get it back ASAP!

I mentioned this a while back (or at least I think I did), but we have been invited to do a podcast episode with Carrie (lurkyloo) sometime closer to the planning session, if not after. I think we will be taking her up on the offer and try to plan something out right after the PS. I want to share all that we have done leading up to the PS and how the PS went right after so it's still in my head. It's must listen radio when we're on, so I'm looking forward to the fun!!

Finally, if you haven't had the chance to see the latest blog entry by Disney'd Ever After Blog, I'd recommend checking the video they posted on there. Here's the link: http://disneyweddingsblog.com/walt-disney-world-resort/time-lapse-disneys-wedding-pavilion/

It's so nice to see a grooms perspective!

Reading your pj kept me occupied all the way through NJ! Looking forward to reading more.

I used Cinematique Films for my wedding. I'll PM you my experience with them.

Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.

It's so nice to see a grooms perspective!

Reading your pj kept me occupied all the way through NJ! Looking forward to reading more.

That's AWESOME! I know I haven't updated in a while, but there's reasons. I hope you continue reading the journey. It's going to be an awesome adventure the next 359+ days...

I think Carrie used StarFruit for her video. Good luck picking.

Starfruit was an option for us. I think we are ready to make our decision. I think we needed time away for us to know exactly what we wanted.

Hey, there. I remember you asking about Summerhouse, and see that you've booked it and the Marina. I hope to God that there will be a Halloween party that night, so that you can have perimeter fireworks as I did.
w%252520%2525281551%252520of%2525201576%252529.jpg

I just read your entire PJ and I'm subscribing! You're story is so sweet and I am so happy to see a Groom so excited to get married and especially one who is excited about the planning process! I can't wait to hear more about all of your ideas (they have been great so far)!

I just read your entire PJ and I'm subscribing! You're story is so sweet and I am so happy to see a Groom so excited to get married and especially one who is excited about the planning process! I can't wait to hear more about all of your ideas (they have been great so far)!

Thank you!! I haven't been posting a lot since there just wasn't much going on (and also for the fact I don't want to be that person who writes what they had for breakfast every other day). But major updates have happened, so I guess I should update!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter