Disney YES Program Reviews - Indiviual Enrollment

dizneechic

DIS Veteran
I was hoping to gather some info based on participant experiences in the YES programs, specifically for individual enrollment. I’ve read many posts, most are about how to participate or questions regarding the tickets, but I am more interested in the programs, if you felt they were worthwhile and age appropriate.

Below I have listed out the YES programs currently offered at WDW and Disney’s age recommendation for each. What I would like to know is:
What program you enrolled in and if it ran or was cancelled due to lack of enrollment?
How old was the child that participated? Was the program age appropriate?
Did the child (and the adult chaperone) enjoy it?
Would you attend another?
If you would care to share a little about your experience that would be great as well. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Disney's Captivating Moments: Images with Impact - Ages: 12-18

Disney's Production Arts and Sciences - Ages: 11-13

Disney's Animation Magic - Ages: 8-18

Disney's Wild by Nature - Ages: 7-15

Disney's Ocean Discoveries - Ages: 8-15

The American Story - Ages: 8-11

Millenium Cultures - Ages: 9-15

How Things Move - Ages: 5-8

Everyday Chemistry - Ages: 9-15

Dynamics of Technology - Ages: 11-18

Synergy in Science - Ages: 6-11

Disney's World of Physics: Properties of Motion - Ages: 8-11

Disney's World of Physics: Energy and Waves - Ages: 8-11

My daughter just did synergy in science last month. She and her dad loved it. She cam homewith lots of info that she shared. With me. It was age appropriate and the teachers were enthusiastic. We plan on doing another in September.

Back in October we did the Making Waves With a Marine Career class at The Seas in Epcot. I attended the class with my 13 year old daughter. We both loved it! We learned a lot and got to see all the behind the scene things at The Seas. I would do another class in a heart beat. It was fun and informative.

My dd did the how things move class in early February. She enjoyed it. She is 7, there were 5 kids in her group (6 in another group). She was the oldest with 3 kids in the class being 5, one six year old and my dd. I was worried she would be bored but the teacher did a great job teaching to all the kids, despite the age range, interest levels and grade levels.

Thanks for the reviews! I am trying to decide whether or not to go with the YES program for our October trip, the reviews help make it easier to decide.

Please keep 'em coming!

Are the YES classes just one day each, or are they several days? What are the parameters of parental involvement (specific ages, etc, or are parents always part of the classes?)

My dd did the Wild By Nature last August. She was almost 14, and one of the oldest in class. She said it was geared to the young kids, not very entertaining or educational for her.
My dd did Energy and Waves 2.5 years ago, but the older age group. She was one of the youngest in that class. It was way beyond anything she'd studied in science. She was bored and lost.
Just my honest answers. We did love the ticket discount for doing the classes. Sadly that perk has been "modified".

My kids did the YES program in June 2011. The older boys were 10 & 12 and participated in the Dynamics of Technology at Epcot. I attended this one with them & was really impressed with what they discussed in the class and with the instructor. He was very fasicinating to listen to.
The twins were 8 at that time and took the Wild by Nature class at Animal Kingdom. My husband took them to their class. They absolutely loved the class and my husband was very impressed with the class and loved the safari they took.
We are going to do the program again this October. The kids are really excited to have the chance to learn more at Disney World. The older boys will be 15 & 13 and are doing the physics class. The twins will be 10 & will be doing the Marine class. Even with the reduction in the benefits of the program, we will still be saving quite a bit since we have a large family.

My kids the American Story a few years back. Dh adn I also attended and we all had a blast!

Went on stage at the Hall of Presidents, was face to face with the animatronics. Talked about early American Presidents, also!

Did a trade session amongst our group, talking about early American life

Rode BTMRR and talked about the themeing of the area and the "hints" that Disney uses.

Rode Splash mountain after talking about aAerican tradions with fairy tales and myths.

Talked about the transition of scenery and how it is used to tell part of the story of traveling from Libery Square to Frontierland.

Got to help ring the Liberty Bell !!!
Love it, and will do them again in the future if they go on during our dates :)

My kids and I did Ocean Discoveries two years ago, when my children were 9 and 11. While both children enjoyed the class, both felt it was just a little too long and by the end were starting to get restless and hungry.

One of the highlights was that we didn't have to wait in line for the Finding Nemo ride. The hands-on activities were fun and kept the kids up and moving.
Overall, the program was informative.

I think my kids were just not as attentive because we live near the Atlantic Ocean and they have attended hands-on workshops and classes through our local marine conservation society. Through that program they've gone out on boats into the Atlantic and observed live specimens. There was no opportunity during the Disney program to interact/touch live marine animals, so the program felt just a little contrived to them.

Back in October we did the Making Waves With a Marine Career class at The Seas in Epcot. I attended the class with my 13 year old daughter. We both loved it! We learned a lot and got to see all the behind the scene things at The Seas. I would do another class in a heart beat. It was fun and informative.

I did it last year with my two older kids. It was a great class!!!!

My husband did Synergy and Science with our younger daughter, and thought it was OK.

oooo this is the thread I was looking for! I am looking for 'teen appropriate' classes for my 14 yo.... the last time we tried YES, my kids felt the classes were way too 'young' for the stated ages..... So trying for something my teen would like,that's not for 'the little kids'

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter