Disney YES Program Open to non-groups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick note. My sister actually works for the education programs and they are getting very strict. I am reading several things on here that Disney does not want you to do.

She told me that she's cancelled tickets for 9 families in the past week because they did not show up to their class then they came to the window angry that the ticket didn't work.

She also said that they have people signing up for after their trip and of course never attending, they are blacklisted.

They are going to be restricting individual enrollment to children that can participate in the programs in the near future because too many people are using these tickets for younger children for which programs are not available. It is only available for immediate family so an aunt can't take her nephew etc.

This is very sad. It takes a lot of time and money to plan these things and they are just going to waste. Also people have not been able to attend because someone bought the tickets and will skip out on the event.

Just a quick note. My sister actually works for the education programs and they are getting very strict. I am reading several things on here that Disney does not want you to do.

She told me that she's cancelled tickets for 9 families in the past week because they did not show up to their class then they came to the window angry that the ticket didn't work.

She also said that they have people signing up for after their trip and of course never attending, they are blacklisted.

They are going to be restricting individual enrollment to children that can participate in the programs in the near future because too many people are using these tickets for younger children for which programs are not available. It is only available for immediate family so an aunt can't take her nephew etc.

This is very sad. It takes a lot of time and money to plan these things and they are just going to waste. Also people have not been able to attend because someone bought the tickets and will skip out on the event.

This is very unfortunate. It's sad when the actions of a few cause the rest of us to be left out of a terrific program. Hopefully, I can get my daughter registered and the tickets purchased prior to massive changes. We aren't doing anything wrong, though, so hopefully it will all work out fine.

:thumbsup2 I think it is great they are doing this and i hope the 9 families who had their tickets cancelled had to explain to their children why they no longer had tickets to DW. But i find it really :sad1: that the Y.E.S program has had to resort to this
To many people posting on here the question about what happens to your tickets if you don't attend well now you know that your tickets will be cancelled, so if you don't intend on going don't book and leave the spaces for those of us who really want them:goodvibes

I find it sad that an aunt can't take her nephew or niece. What if I take my nephews to WDW and my sister and BIL are not even there? I also have heard conflicting reports about grandparents being immediate family. Can you clear that up?

My son didn't go to his YES class last year b/c he ended up with strep. I did call the YES contact number and let the guide know. She was very understanding. I still have the paperwork from the doctor visit just in case. We were both sad to miss the class, and I signed he and my nephews up this year(BIL and sister are going, so no I am not breaking the rules). We're looking forward to it.

Is there a way the YES program can charge people after the fact if they schedule their class for after they are done with their tickets and then don't attend? You have to pay with a credit card, don't you? Seems like there could be a disclaimer that if you don't go to the class(and don't have a valid excuse), you would be charged the difference between the YES price and the gate price.

Is there a way the YES program can charge people after the fact if they schedule their class for after they are done with their tickets and then don't attend? You have to pay with a credit card, don't you? Seems like there could be a disclaimer that if you don't go to the class(and don't have a valid excuse), you would be charged the difference between the YES price and the gate price.

Honestly that what I think should be done as well. Or sadly do not give discounted tickets at all. I would pay the full price ticket plus the $26.00 class fee as i think the class will be a great experiance. I am so excited to learn about photography at Disney :cool1:

I am glad to hear that they are holding parents accountable for undocumented no-shows. I fully support the idea of charging the price difference when the class is at the end of the trip or cancelling any remaining days. They could also consider requiring class attendance prior to distributing the discounted park tickets, meaning all classes would be scheduled at the start of a trip. Yes, that would be inconvenient for our planning purposes, but just like other discounts—free dining or room only—if you want to take advantage of a discount, you must plan around its availability, or pay full price. Beyond the pricing aspect of this problem though, are the children (and parents) that want to take these classes because of their love of learning and Disney, but are missing out because someone else’s parents “stole” their opportunity. How about “attend the program, get a voucher for a free day in the future” sort of like the Give A Day, Get A Day program last year? Of course, the best scenario is that everyone behaves themselves and the program continues to provide a unique learning experience for our kids with the added bonus of cost savings. Maybe they should consider offering an Ethics class?

Hehehe... No kidding. I don't have issue at all with more rules. My personal fab would be saving the hs spots for homeschoolers.

How early does the schedule come out for the courses? We are travelling in late Dec 2011/early January 2012. I don't suppose they run this program during the holiday season? My kids (11,13 & 15) would love some of these courses.

This is the most mean-spirited thing I have ever heard and I can't believe Disney is doing this to people. What if those people really did have a sick child? What if they couldn't find the phone number to call in? To pay all that money and have the tickets cancelled!!!

Why punish the kids because of something the parents did? That is not Disney!

If a person buys the tickets under one set of rules and then they change the rules after you have paid your money that is fraud. If it happened to me I would sue them because I had bought the tickets under the first set of rules. Nowhere does it say the tickets will be cancelled if you don't show up! I would not have bought the tickets if I had seen something so mean.

Why don't they have waiting lists or some other plan in case a child doesn't show up?

I think it's a good thing they're buckling down on this. Too many people taking advantage of the system just to get discounted tickets. Pretty soon, there will be no discounted tickets at all because of the abuse. Disney is pretty smart and knows that it's highly unlikely that so many of these attendees are sick. Maybe they should require a Drs note to miss a class just like other programs/schools.

Nowhere does it say the tickets will be cancelled if you don't show up!

Actually if you have bought them recently(I bought ours almost a month ago now), it does say it in a couple places before you check out.

That's fraud if you buy the tickets and sign up for a class knowing you aren't even going to go. The discounted tickets are the bonus on top of getting to do a class. Thank the ones who ruined it, not Disney.

This is the most mean-spirited thing I have ever heard and I can't believe Disney is doing this to people. What if those people really did have a sick child? What if they couldn't find the phone number to call in? To pay all that money and have the tickets cancelled!!!

If a person buys the tickets under one set of rules and then they change the rules after you have paid your money that is fraud. If it happened to me I would sue them because I had bought the tickets under the first set of rules. Nowhere does it say the tickets will be cancelled if you don't show up! I would not have bought the tickets if I had seen something so mean

You mean like holding people accountable for their actions? And Disney wouldn't be the mean one...the slimy lying parents would be.

Please don't let this thread degenerate into an argument over the actions of a few parents, morality questions, parenting habits, etc... We're sharing good info that we're getting from Disney or from experience relating to the YES program on this thread. Disney has obviously put some measures in place that they felt necessary...knowing what those things are is what is helpful to us in planning our trips!

The phone number is clearly noted on the site and the print outs. I think its very mean of people to take advantage of the ticket offers and not go to the class. SO many youth group leaders and educators collaborate to make this happen, it's a slap in their face, and really most of the programs offer what I like to think of "vip" "behind the scenes classes" that yes they are worth the hours of your touring time because you are on of the select few, if you want tickets without commitment then go to one of those stupid timeshares and sit through a 90 minute presentation this...is FUN, hands on and educational at the same time, yet people are thinking they are a hassle! Then don't sign up!

Also I guess what I am saying is if your kid is too sick to go to the park to begin with and sit put through a class, are you really going to take them to the parks to ride and have fun? Guess they are not that sick then.

The phone number is clearly noted on the site and the print outs. I think its very mean of people to take advantage of the ticket offers and not go to the class. SO many youth group leaders and educators collaborate to make this happen, it's a slap in their face, and really most of the programs offer what I like to think of "vip" "behind the scenes classes" that yes they are worth the hours of your touring time because you are on of the select few, if you want tickets without commitment then go to one of those stupid timeshares and sit through a 90 minute presentation this...is FUN, hands on and educational at the same time, yet people are thinking they are a hassle! Then don't sign up!

Also I guess what I am saying is if your kid is too sick to go to the park to begin with and sit put through a class, are you really going to take them to the parks to ride and have fun? Guess they are not that sick then.

While I agree that people need to show, I would argue that there are many reasons kids get sick for a day of two. You have at least one, are they usually sick for a whole week?:confused3

Years ago we had the pukes, affecting each of us for about 12 hours on different time schedules, lol. We've also had vacations affected by a twisted ankle, colds, sunburn (didn't know that sunscreen went bad!), diarhea, food poisoning, toothache, etc. None of these affected a whole vacation. They meant a day's rest.

If a person buys the tickets under one set of rules and then they change the rules after you have paid your money that is fraud. If it happened to me I would sue them because I had bought the tickets under the first set of rules. Nowhere does it say the tickets will be cancelled if you don't show up! I would not have bought the tickets if I had seen something so mean.

Why don't they have waiting lists or some other plan in case a child doesn't show up?

They most certainly are NOT being mean spirited : phone numbers to call are provided and they know children do get ill ( adults too ); jmho their 'issue' is with people who just blow the whole thing off without a phone call or even sending a second adult over there to the location the class meets at to explain to the CM why the child cannot attend the class that day ( I can tell you that DH or myself would do that if we couldn't get someone on the phone; but then again, we take things like this seriously, but there are people who do not & will just not worry about conveying what their situation happens to be ).

There is no changing rules after you commit and purchase these tickets because it is all spelled out very clearly what your obligation is and what YES Group can do if class isn't attended. So if you are planning on enrolling read the registration info carefully because what you need to know is stated there.

:)

Both times we have gone to WDW my daughter has been sick the first day. Pale, nauseated and shakey. Of course we didn't go to the parks that day. I don't know if she got too nervous or ate something bad on the way there.

I do know that we intend on going to the class this time. She picked it out and wants to go.

I also know that we signed up months ago and there was no rule that said if she couldn't go to the class our tickets would be cancelled.

I think Disney is having a knee-jerk reaction to a problem they themselves created by not structuring this whole class thing correctly from the beginning. Why not give us a slap on the wrist? It seems to be going overboard to completely cancel all tickets.

People do forget phone numbers back home or didn't think their child would get sick and didn't need them. I honestly don't think most people are trying to get one over on Disney to save a few dollars. I just think things happen.

eh, it isn't hard to find a phone number these days. You either make the effort to find it, and hit the doctor's ofc. and you'd be fine.

So they didn't "structure" it right to begin with, they are fixing it now.

I honestly don't think most people are trying to get one over on Disney to save a few dollars. I just think things happen.

I respectfully disagree with you. I do think there are a significant number of people deliberately abusing the program as it was outlined previously. I also do not think that Disney would cancel tickets without there being some type of good faith attempt to contact the family. However, I do not know for sure. I personally like things "straight from the horse's mouth". So, for me, if I had a child that frequently got sick---car sickness, ear infections, asthma, anything chronic--I would call the YES office and ask them directly what I should do if my child gets sick. Or email and print out the response to have with me when I travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter