• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney YES Program Open to non-groups

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should have added that some people use it to get cheap tickets and then don't attend the class. This would cause the program to be cancelled if it continued to occur. I too am only going to attend the class to get cheap tickets I would never want to be there at 7:15am for any other reason.:guilty:

I am thrilled to save so much on tickets but I wouldn't dream of not showing up for the classes. To me that's extremely tacky and runs the risk of ruining it for everyone (this is assuming there is no illness or legitimate reason for missing of course).
The classes look really fun and we are excited to try them! I'd be there that early for rope drop anyway most mornings so it's not a big deal.

We are really looking forward to it!!

I just talked my pastor through signing his family up for the June 22 classes. He was so excited to save money. Then I found him a great condo for $60/night :-) Just wish they could go down the same time we're going, but our class(August 15) has been closed for awhile now.

Frankly, I don't know why Disney is doing this for individuals (as opposed to groups). I do not expect it to last, but we are taking advantage of it while it is available.

I do not see why Disney cares whether the kids show up for the class or not. I mean the class looks fun and our boys will likely find it interesting -- but, really, what is the point of the class? How is it any different than any of the other Behind the Scenes tours that are available? It's not school or a school class by anyone's measure. The website says the program is accredited. What does that mean??? Our boys are not going to get school or college credit for a 3-hour course at Magic Kingdom.

Why does enrolling your child in a 3-hour class entitle the whole family to 1/2 price park tickets? I don't get it, but I'm not complaining.

I plan to take advantage of it while it lasts but, truly, I don't understand why Disney is offering this. It strikes me as a way to encourage park attendance during a recession -- much as the hotel discounts of the last two years have been designed to encourage staying on site during a recession.

And, it's a way to offer discount park admission on a much more limited basis than reducing ticket prices. Reducing ticket prices would signal to everyone that declining park attendance is a concern for Disney. By doing it this way, Disney can "cloak" the discount with some kind of "educational" patina.

I assume Disney believes there is much less bad publicity by discounting tickets in this quiet manner -- as opposed to effecting an "across the board" ticket price reduction -- which would be negative for so many reasons -- not the least of which would be the message it would send to business analysts and stockholders about park attendance. Disney raises ticket prices significantly every August and, I suspect, has raised prices to the point where some families are questioning doing Disney versus another type of vacation. This is a way to assuage some of the reduced demand from the price hikes, without saying so.

I do not see how not attending the class will "ruin it for others". It seems to me that an improving economy will accomplish that all by itself!!

Just my opinion.

I should have added that some people use it to get cheap tickets and then don't attend the class. This would cause the program to be cancelled if it continued to occur. I too am only going to attend the class to get cheap tickets I would never want to be there at 7:15am for any other reason.:guilty:

Some people see it as a great oppurtunity for their children to learn while haveing fun. I am excited for my kids to see Marine Biology or Chemistry "in action". Cheap tickets are a nice advantage but I'd pay full price and the $30 fee per person for the class. I had hoped for more "homeschool days" events but it was cut to one day in the fall thanks to "open enrollment".

As a homeschooler the opportunity to bring learning alive is very mportant to me. It was always a bummer that the classes were only available for groups. Thus I was thrilled when they opened the classes to individuals. The fact that there are always opportunists will probably ruin it in the end for families like mine but isn't that the way with so many if the really neat things that happen?

I took a good look at our tickets and I'm pretty sure that they're Tyvek, which feels a bit like card stock but is actually more like plastic/mylar. Here's a link to a picture that looks just like them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160571155012+&item=160571155012

As to why Disney is offering such cheap tickets--I'd say that the more you know about Disney the more you want to come back. The people who are disappointed are the ones who just skim the surface and go unprepared and don't know what they're missing--and so don't come back. So the classes are a good way for Disney to build repeat business, by getting kids and parents more into the "secrets".

Frankly, I don't know why Disney is doing this for individuals (as opposed to groups). I do not expect it to last, but we are taking advantage of it while it is available.

I do not see why Disney cares whether the kids show up for the class or not. I mean the class looks fun and our boys will likely find it interesting -- but, really, what is the point of the class? How is it any different than any of the other Behind the Scenes tours that are available? It's not school or a school class by anyone's measure. The website says the program is accredited. What does that mean??? Our boys are not going to get school or college credit for a 3-hour course at Magic Kingdom.

Why does enrolling your child in a 3-hour class entitle the whole family to 1/2 price park tickets? I don't get it, but I'm not complaining.

I plan to take advantage of it while it lasts but, truly, I don't understand why Disney is offering this. It strikes me as a way to encourage park attendance during a recession -- much as the hotel discounts of the last two years have been designed to encourage staying on site during a recession.

And, it's a way to offer discount park admission on a much more limited basis than reducing ticket prices. Reducing ticket prices would signal to everyone that declining park attendance is a concern for Disney. By doing it this way, Disney can "cloak" the discount with some kind of "educational" patina.

I assume Disney believes there is much less bad publicity by discounting tickets in this quiet manner -- as opposed to effecting an "across the board" ticket price reduction -- which would be negative for so many reasons -- not the least of which would be the message it would send to business analysts and stockholders about park attendance. Disney raises ticket prices significantly every August and, I suspect, has raised prices to the point where some families are questioning doing Disney versus another type of vacation. This is a way to assuage some of the reduced demand from the price hikes, without saying so.

I do not see how not attending the class will "ruin it for others". It seems to me that an improving economy will accomplish that all by itself!!

Just my opinion.

You not attending the class will "ruin it for others", because when classes are full, noone else can join and get that experience. If you join the program without the intention of going to the class, that knocks out other peoples' chances of getting in the program. There aren't many programs some months/weeks and once they're full(10-15 kids), they're full.

I honestly think if people don't show up and don't have some documented excuse(sickness or injury), they should have to pay the difference in their YES ticket cost and the regular Disney ticket price before they can use them again. It's just another way to cheat the system for some people.

Disney is trying to get publicity for its' Youth Education Series, which schools, scout groups, etc can attend anytime during the year. I know I had never heard of this program before I heard it on the DIS last year. The classes do count as educational for schools and also for home schoolers. They discount tickets for the same reason they do free dining--to get people to their parks. If they get them there, they will spend, spend, spend!;)

Even with regular ticket prices, Disney is cheaper for me than the beach. Of course, I know how to save money on lodging, food, etc., but I'd do that at the beach too. I don't think Disney has to worry about the parks being empty for a long time to come.

Just a comment....

My family all have Annual Passes. When we sign up for the classes we have to buy one day tickets. The classes are great and worth us needed to pay around $70 for the first class(one child and an additional one for an adult to accompany) and then the $20 for the extra class.

Not everyone only does the classes for the cheap tickets.

Wow...just read through most of this thread, thanks all for such detailed information. My kids would LOVE this, and we are planning a trip for April 2012. Looking at the program information, it appears that there are no individual classes offered this month in Disneyworld, only in California...can anyone tell me if they offered classes in Florida this month? I am just trying to get an indication for when they offer the individual classes.
Thanks

Some of the October classes still say "Registration coming soon!".
Is that just for online registration? Can I call and register now?

TIA!:flower3:

We are doing the YES program for three reasons:

1. My kids love to learn!!!

2. They will be missing their first week of school and this is a way to help get our "educational field trip request" from the district approved.

3. Reduction in ticket price.

We 100% plan on waking up early and attending the class:)

No they aren't registering yet via phone either. I am waiting for Oct 17th !!! I was told they would be available to register early summer..I am thinking June.

For us missing the class will not be an option. It will be recorded as an extra curricular class for homeschool. I have been trying to decide between Oct 10 classs only available for my 2 youngest or brave the extra hour crowds at epcot on Oct 12 so my oldest can attend a class as well.

Does anyone know if they will allow old the age limit to attend? my oldest will be 17 and the age for most classes cut off at 15 :confused3

I called last week and was told we can not register for fall classes until the summer classes actually start :confused3

Just a FYI. I emailed and asked about availability of the program in May 2012 and received this response: Thank you for your email. Generally, due to park capacities and other events happening at the Walt Disney World Theme Parks, we are unable to offer programs from February - June. Programs for 2012 should be announced in the fall. You have been added to the list and as dates become available, you will be one of the first to know.

Just a FYI. I emailed and asked about availability of the program in May 2012 and received this response: Thank you for your email. Generally, due to park capacities and other events happening at the Walt Disney World Theme Parks, we are unable to offer programs from February - June. Programs for 2012 should be announced in the fall. You have been added to the list and as dates become available, you will be one of the first to know.

I was wondering about that as well.

I can understand January and September because of the lower attendance, but couldn't figure out why they would offer them all summer long. :confused3

My kids would really like to do this next year, but I'd much rather visit FL in late April than August. I'm just not sure the experience is worth doing a summer/humid/hurricane trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter