Disney World with a 2 1/2 year old

kdevoe

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! So I'm starting to think I'm a little crazy because I'm really getting into planning our first family trip the the World. It will be myself, DH and DS (2 years 8 months at the time of the trip). I have a bunch of questions that I have been researching on the internet, but haven't gotten solid answers. So i figured this is the place to ask. :)

1. What is the best car seat to travel with and how do you lug it through the airport? Is it too early to buy the car seat now or should I wait until our trip gets closer? I like to be prepared, but I don't want to waste my money and see it for a better price in the future.

2. Does anyone have experience with travelling with a toddler on JetBlue?

3. What gate check bag do you have for a Baby Jogger City Mini? I would prefer not to have to take the wheels off if possible.

4. Do you put the stroller in the gate check bag just before entering the jetway or on the jetway?

5. How many carry ons do you take with you? I will have a purse, a backpack with items for DS, 1 additional backpack. On the way home we will also have a rolling pilot case. Is this possible? Oops we will also have the stroller. :crazy2:

6. Does anyone use a travel bag for the car seat when you are not using it?

I'm sure I have tired you all out and will have plenty of more questions between now and January 2014. I'm just so excited and so nervous at the same time. Thank you so much!!!! Any other tips or advice is greatly appreciated. :):)

are you staying at a disney resort? If so - you won't need to rent a car and won't need a carseat at all.

we went on jetblue in march/april with our twins who were 2y10mo at the time + our older son who turned 5yo on the trip. They all did great. Jet blue is great b/c it has TVs at every seat. We also brought our iPads and iPhones with apps the boys love to keep them busy.

we brought our combi double and checked it at the gate - no bag needed. I'd think the same would go for the city mini- unless you want a bag to protect it. Our combi is old and junky so we didn't care if it got banged up (we rented a mini double at disney).

they gave us a gate check tag long before we boarded, so we were ready to go when it was time to get on. I think they just took it from us as we went to board. don't remember... nothing to stress about it- they do it all the time.

i believe you are allowed 2 carryon items - a small suitcase/bag + a personal item (purse, etc) per person- so that includes your child. My boys all had a Trunkie suitcase with them which was perfect for their toys and stuff to have in the plane/airport.... and kept them busy b/c they could ride it, etc.

We brought our Eddie Bauer seat with us last year, and will never fly with a carseat again. Lugging it through the airport was ridiculous, and it's not a bulky seat at all. If you're renting a car, rent a seat, too.

We gate checked our stroller and got a tag just before boarding. We flew Delta, but I would assume Jet Blue does the same thing. You wheel your stroller to the door of the plane, and then pick it up right there when you land.

If using Magical Express and Disney transportation you don't need a car seat. They won't allow them to be used so ME will store it below with the luggage.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

If you don't need to take a carseat, look into renting a CARES harness for the flight. It was very helpful when I flew last summer with my 2.5 year old. Back when I flew then, it was the Scenera that was suggested -but the top harness height isn't super high on that and my child would have barely been small enough for it. (My boys have much longer torsos than the norm however. That is not a problem for many kids!)

I don't have much help for the rest of your questions since we drive for Disney. Last I knew, the carseat did not count towards your luggage. Since you will have a plane seat for your 2 year old, count him with the carryons. If everyone is allowed two carryons, that would come to 6 total for your family. However, I'm thinking the rules changed to one large and one small per person - so look it up. Stroller rules have also changed - check the weight allowed on your airline to make sure it's allowed.

As PP poster said...look into renting a CARES harness for the plane trip if you only need carseat for plane. We did with our son when he fiorst went and he was a week under bing 2...it worked great.

As far as carry on...I bring my "bag" (which is now a Swiss Army fanny pack) a "plane" bag and then a "park" bag" for DS. We usually fly early and arrive before official check in time so I have a seperate backpakc with stuff for plane (books, crayons, snacks, whatever to occupy him on plane) then I have my "park bag" for his stroller. This way if the room is not ready when we check in I can put his plane bag with bell station and have his park bag to put in stroller and we're off....I find the drawstring nylon knapsack bags to be very good for the park as the have no structur so it's easy to fit them in basket under stroller.

Just make sure any snacks or liquid type items specifically for your child are in ziploc bags and easy to access and take out of carry ons when going through security. I usually bring travew=l size tubes of sun screen - again so if we head to the parks before room is ready I have sun block to put on son. When we first went I also had things like applesauce and pudding cups for DS as he's a very picky eater and security let it through as they were individual containers packed in plasctic bags and I took them out so security coud see them. I also brough plastic spoons (no forks or knives) so son could eat his food while on plane. Also make sure to put on shoes that are easy to get on and off your daughter as she will also have to take her shoes off in security. Have one parent go thru security scan first then your child follows then other parent. This way someone is always with your child on either side of security scan.

I find going thru security scan the toughest as you are trying to keep an eye on your stuff going through the scan so that no one takes it and also your child. Have one parent watch and get the carryon and the other your daughter. This way each of you can focus on one thing while knowing the other is focusing on the other.

We almost always fly JetBlue and they're pretty good with kids, they even have changing tables in the bathrooms, which is nice, and the tvs definitely keep everyone occupied.

Ive always gate checked our stroller, no bag, and checked our car seat. There is no extra charge to check a car seat, I always wrap it in a couple of giant trash bags to protect the fabric and it works out great. I tried taking it on the plane with me about a year ago because my son was too small for the CARES harness that we usually use, I'll never do that again, way too much trouble and the harness is really easy to use and keeps them safe and secure.

Have fun and don't worry about it, the anticipation is always the worst part. You might not have done it before but all the flight attendants have done it a milion times and they'll help you out.

kdevoe said:
Hi everyone! So I'm starting to think I'm a little crazy because I'm really getting into planning our first family trip the the World. It will be myself, DH and DS (2 years 8 months at the time of the trip). I have a bunch of questions that I have been researching on the internet, but haven't gotten solid answers. So i figured this is the place to ask. :)

1. What is the best car seat to travel with and how do you lug it through the airport? Is it too early to buy the car seat now or should I wait until our trip gets closer? I like to be prepared, but I don't want to waste my money and see it for a better price in the future.

3. What gate check bag do you have for a Baby Jogger City Mini? I would prefer not to have to take the wheels off if possible.

4. Do you put the stroller in the gate check bag just before entering the jetway or on the jetway?

5. How many carry ons do you take with you? I will have a purse, a backpack with items for DS, 1 additional backpack. On the way home we will also have a rolling pilot case. Is this possible? Oops we will also have the stroller. :crazy2:

I'm sure I have tired you all out and will have plenty of more questions between now and January 2014. I'm just so excited and so nervous at the same time. Thank you so much!!!! Any other tips or advice is greatly appreciated. :):)

You don't need the car seat though if you are flying JetBlue your child will need a seat so if you think that it will be easier for them to be strapped into a seat, buy one for air travel. You can't use it on the busses at the world FYI
2. Jet blue is amazing!!! Tv keeps them occupied and the staff was really helpful
3. I used a red $10 gate check bag I bought at target. It's worked well for our stroller. 4 yes I kept it out right until they called that's they were about to board.
Stoller doesn't count. But we now carry one Vera large duffel and both DH and I have a backpack each and then a small tote for dd items. Why carry a purse when you can get more in a backpack and just downgrade when you get to the hotel.

I found keeping dd pjs was easier than getting her dressed in the am. We just changed when we got to the resort.

I've gate checked my citi mini double lots of times without a bag, no problem. I've never been charged a baggage fee for it. Just go to the desk at the gate and ask for a gate-check tag.

I like to install my Graco convertible carseat into the airplane seat. It's fairly narrow, so it'll fit most airplane seats. I tried the CARES harness when my son was about 18 mos, and it was awful for us. It doesn't have a between the legs strap, so he squirmed way down. And with his wiggling, the top strap kept sliding down the chair back. I found our own carseat much more secure and familiar for him. Installing it is easy. Lugging it thru the airport is a challenge. Usually I put it in one side of the double stroller and let my older kid walk. Or just lug it. Not easy, but I've done it by myself with 2 kids under 4.

For carry-ons, I usually do a large purse or diaper bag, a backpack, and a small school-type bag for the kids. Make sure you'll be able to carry your kids' bags yourself. The kiddos will get tired of carrying them. Like pp said, each kid gets 2 carry-ons.

Bring entertainment and snacks. Don't forget that you'll have to turn off the DVD player or iPad during takeoff or landing. This can really annoy a toddler, so you need distractions.

Change diapers before boarding the plane. And bring diaper rash cream. It's hard to change a diaper right away when you're traveling, so diaper rashes happen more.

Have fun!

My son was 2 years, 4 months when we went last year; I was a nervous wreck taking him and not knowing how he would react to everything, but honestly - he was the best behaved out of my 3 kids and one of them was 16! :rotfl2:

I too worried about the exact same things on your list, but after considering convenience, cost, my sanity, lol, here is what I did..

1. We opted against a car seat on the plane. We stayed on-site at WDW and used the shuttles so the only time we would use it was on the plane. And to be horribly, truly honest, if our plane was going down, a car seat wouldn't of done anything. He was fine just sitting in the seat; we kept him very busy with activities and snacks.

2. We brought triangle-shaped crayons and coloring books, the Nook loaded with movies with headphones, snacks, and some of his cars. Our flight was only 2.5 hours and he did great. :thumbsup2

3. I have the BJCM and considered a gate check bag; I ended up opting against it. It was fine without; didn't get dirty or ripped at all.

4. n/a

5. The stroller doesn't count as a carry-on; each person gets one carry-on and one personal item (for you, your carry-on and purse). My son's item was his backpack/diaper bag.

6. n/a

Good luck!!

Definitely no need for the car seat... We go every year with the kids( now 5 and 3) and never have brought the car seats... And for sure gate check the stroller!

You will already have a carseat - I see you are traveling in the future...so maybe you just haven't thought of this yet. No need to buy one specifically for this trip. :) However, unless you are renting a car you really won't need it. You won't be allowed to use it on the buses or transport system. It will only do you any good on the airplane. I have used a car seat on a plane and carried one through the airport. I pulled the straps through the back of the seat and then put it on my (husband's) back like a backpack. It's easier than carrying it.

But installing it is a pain...you are definitely in other people's way. It is nice because your child will likely be used to their own seat and be less likely to want to get up than if they are in a regular seat. But a flight is boring no matter what and you still have to entertain them either way.

You can't secure a seat rear facing - and at 2 1/2 your child should still be rear facing. So really, it's not that safe anyway...So I'd probably leave it at home.

As for the stroller, we are renting. I need a double and don't use one at home so it's cheaper for me to rent than buy one. But I believe you usually check those right before you board the plane.

Most airlines allow you two carryons per person - so you will have plenty of space for carry ons.

Traveling with little ones seems super stressful, but so long as you have their favorites and are flexible...it's not so bad!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter