Disney World with a 16 month old

Leahc100

Earning My Ears
Hello! My husband and I have been to Disneyworld several times before we had our daughter and now we are so excited to take her but just wondering if its worth it to take her when she's 16 months old? We are thinking of going in January, does anyone have any insight into taking a young toddler to Disneyworld? Was it worth it? Did they enjoy it? Is there a better hotel to stay at with her? (we want to stay on site) Any other insight for us? Thank you so much for your help!

She won't remember it, but you will, get photo pass, go and see lots of characters. There will be lots of rides she can't do, so if you want to do them you will be doing them individual using rider swap, but there will be lots she can do as well - she will love Disney junior, seeing tigger and pooh.

my family has taken babies/toddlers a number of times.
my niece was 16mos her second trip (first trip was in the womb).
she thoroughly enjoyed it.
she loved every second of IASW and loved the dog in POTC so much that when she saw a plushy of it she would not let it go even as it was being rung out lol.

personally i don't think there's a specific resort that is better or worse to stay at with a toddler although i think many would recommend a monorail resort for ease of naps.

i don't believe in going back to the resort for naps.
we are a stroller nap type of family.
i just recently posted several stroller nap pics that my sister took of one of my other niece's who is 2yrs5mos during their trip in september.

have a great time!

Bring her! We are bringing our 12 month old in January and can't wait. My parents brought my sister and I around one year old and loved it.

If you're thinking of this January, I'd recommend booking soon so you can book your FP+ (60 days before checkin if you're staying on site). We're going at the beginning of January so our window opens in a couple weeks. You may want to take advantage of pre-booking fastpasses.

Have fun planning!!!

Hello! My husband and I have been to Disneyworld several times before we had our daughter and now we are so excited to take her but just wondering if its worth it to take her when she's 16 months old? We are thinking of going in January, does anyone have any insight into taking a young toddler to Disneyworld? Was it worth it? Did they enjoy it? Is there a better hotel to stay at with her? (we want to stay on site) Any other insight for us? Thank you so much for your help!
It's certainly worth going if you enjoy going. At 16 months, your daughter is apt to enjoy a trip to the recycling center as much as Disney World, but if you enjoy going, you will have a grand time with your toddler. You can take photos of her that you will treasure for a lifetime. You must not lose sight that of the reality that you will not be able to tour at the same pace as when you were unencumbered with children. Take breaks. Use the excellent child care facilities in the parks. The deluxe hotels will probably be more quiet, but if the deluxe resorts are too expensive, you should be fine at Art of Animation, Pop Century or an All-Star. Some of the best rest rooms for changing at the hotels are in The Yacht Club and The Grand Floridian. Make sure you have plenty of sun screen and liquids on hand. I believe you can still use the "baby-swap" system (1 person stays with child while the other goes on a ride. . .the "rider" should tell a cast member that you want to do a baby-swap. They will tell you where to send your significant other so that he or she will not have to wait on line. Your partner will not have to wait on line, and you spend some time with your child). Your child does not have to see the fireworks or night shows. Stay home with your child at night rather than going out to a park. She will enjoy the nighttime activities when she is older. More often than not, taking the young children at night ends poorly. When my daughter was 3 we were strolling through the Grand Floridian resort when a young couple asked if they could take a picture of our daughter in a little field of flowers, because they thought she looked so adorable. They were right of course. Those are the moments you look for - an unexpected surprise that has nothing to do with rides and crowds, and everything to do with experiencing a lovely moment.
ve

My daughter is 17 months now and has already been to Disney a few times. There are a lot of rides at the Magic Kingdom that are baby friendly, like Winnie the Pooh, the Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Jungle Cruise, etc. The Enchanted Tales with Belle would also be great, as well as the character meets. Mickey Mouse in Town Square Theater is fun because he actually talks to the kids! We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge the first time we took her, and it was VERY convenient being able to take the boat right from the resort to the entrance to Magic Kingdom. We didn't have to fold up the stroller for the boat ride, and it was a quick ride to the resort for a nap.

The family suites at Art of Animation would be a good choice too because the baby can sleep in one room, while you can stay up in the other without disturbing her.

While it's true that she won't remember the trip, we've always enjoyed going and the pictures and memories are priceless.

There is a whole Disney with families forum (scroll down a bit) where you will find tons of info about traveling to WDW with toddlers.

Have fun.

I see no reason to stop going on vacations after you have a baby! Go and enjoy - do what you enjoy while there! No, she won't remember it, but as long as you're out having fun it's all good.

There is much that you can do, and if you really want to go on a roller coaster, take turns. That's what we did!

I also agree about not going out at night. Until my kids were much older, we always stuck to our normal sleep routines on all vacations, including Disney. We would go back to the resort and have them bathed and in their pajamas by 7pm or so, so they'd get a good sleep. They didn't have to know about fireworks! Down time is essential.

We had a blast when we took our 15 month old son last fall! The trip report is linked in my signature if you are interested in reading more about it.

The only other thing I would add is that if going to WDW is a huge financial stress for your family, then plan carefully when to go based on your child's age (i.e. wait until she is older). If you can afford to go again in the future, then by all means, go. She will not remember it but it will be great for you and you can show her the pictures as she gets older!

Take her! Even though she won't remember, there will be lots of visual stimulation on the rides and lots of smiles that you as her parent will cherish. I definitely recommend staying at a monorail resort so you are not required to fold up your stroller. Also, use the baby care centers. They are AWESOME!! We just got back with our five month old and I absolutely love the quiet place to chill out and the nicer diaper changing stations!!

We took our 13 month old last year. She doesn't remember it, but she had a great time and DH and I have wonderful memories.

I brought my granddaughter when she was 16 months old. Does she remember it, no, but I do and those memories and pictures are precious to me. My profile pic is of her then. She had a great time and we all enjoyed ourselves. We did have to go at a slower pace, but it wasn't a problem.

We are taking our 14 month old daughter in a few weeks. I'm so excited! I already got her interested in Mickey Mouse Club House, so I know she will be happy to see the characters. She enjoys movement like riding slides and flying in my husband's arms around the house so I think she will enjoy the rides.

We are going in Sept 2016 and we'll be bringing my niece who will be 18 months at the time. We are very excited to take her and there are so many things to do with her... Characters, meals and rides. The number of slow moving rides out number the amount of thrill rides, so we will have a blast with her! Also all of the different shows to see! It is all about the memories you will make together. Have a great trip!

I took my son when he was 20 months old, he had a wonderful time. We went with my mom, sis and her 2 kids (10 & 6). Such a fun, fun week! We went after Memorial Day, so it was hot and we took a mid-day break. My niece and nephew wanted to swim every day and my son loved the baby pool at All Star Music. He is 4 now and we're going again next month. He remembers the castle, but that's about it. Doesn't matter because he had a great experience and all the rest of us remember the fun. He ran to Pooh to give him a hug and kept yelling "Mee Mouse" when he saw Mickey. He loved Small World, Buzz Lightyear, Disney Jr show, Dumbo, Haunted Mansion and his favorite was the carousel. Enjoy!!!

Every baby / toddler is different. Is she easy going and curious? Is she on a strict routine at home?

Honestly - we didn't even consider taking our DD to Disney until she was at least 3...and then finally went when she was 4 going on 5. Financial considerations aside, we really wanted that SHARED experience and memories. That's why we waited, for what it's worth.

There is plenty to do and see - that's for sure. But would it over-stimulate her? Only you can know that answer and whether a trip is right for your family.

The Disney Family Board could offer some good tips on touring, attractions, hotels, etc. Good luck and have a great trip if you decide January is the right time for you. Cheers.

My grandson, Jaxson, will only be 17 months when we go next May. It will be a different experience for us, first time with a little one, my sons were teenagers when we first started going. I expect to have early nights and no fireworks but that is okay. He will not remember it but I look forward to "breaking him" into the disney world vacationing. I will take plenty of photos of him with the characters and they will be priceless.

The one thing I remind young parents taking their diaper aged children to Disney World is this -

EVERY rest room has a baby changing table. So your husband can take his turn too. A lot of families think the stations are only in the women's room but that's not true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter