• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney World Water

DisneyChristian

Earning my Mouse Ears
My wife thinks that the water at Disney World makes her ill. Is it possible that the water could be making her ill? She also believes bathing in it makes her break out in hives. Does anyone know if she is correct or is it all in her head?

Most likely all in her head. If the water at Disney made people ill, you'd be hearing many more reports about it. I'm not saying it's the most pleasant tasting stuff (which is why I get filtered water from CS restaurants) but it's not full of buggies and bacteria.

Is she using a different soap while she's there? That may be causing the hives- or any number of contact allergens she encounters daily.

I drink it while I am there ,I haven't gotten sick off of it. It does have alot of sulfur in it that you can smell , and its not the greatest tasting unless its cold, sounds like if she is breaking out could be a soap or food allergy.

Florida is not a third world country, they have standards for safe drinking water there just like they do in every other state. If she doesn't like the taste then she shouldn't drink it.
As far as it making her sick, or have hives, well, there are germs from all over the world at WDW. Add to that not sleeping regularly and not eating the same as you do at home and there is a really good possibility that she could catch something there that may make her sick.

I only use Dove soap, I take it with me when I travel. But the water at WDW tastes fine to me. The water here is much worse, we call it dirt water :sad2:

i doubt its the water.. alot more people would be having the same or similar issues and ive never heard it before.. could be any number of different things she comes in contact with

Could she be allergic to the sulfur in the water then?

This has been discussed here many, many times. It is not the same thing as SULFA, a drug that a lot of people (me included) are allergic to. I guess it could make her stomach hurt if she isn't used to it, but an allergy? I have no idea. Again, if it was a common thing lots and lots of people would be getting sick.

Maybe ask your doctor?

She can drink bottled water but I don't think she can just not bathe the entire trip. Maybe she really doesn't like Disney? ;)

Adding, I think the water in Florida is filtered ground water, the sulfur is just present naturally. Does your water come from Lake Michigan? That is the water we had when we lived in Chicago. Here, north of Dallas, our water comes from this nasty lake that almost goes dry during long, dry summers like we are having now. It is YUK!

My DS and i are gingers and we break out very very easily; we have super sensative skin and allergies. We have never broken out from the water; note neither of us like the taste but i just make sure i bring us bottled water.

The water is not going to make her break out. It could upset her stomach but mostly because it's a different source. As stated before, this isn't a third world country. :P

The hives could be from a number of factors. Chemicals in soaps and clothing, the bed sheets, general bugs, or (my first guess) the heat.

Have her drink the ice water from CS places. It's free and filtered.

Ok she says the problem was Urinary Tract infections both times she went, she got one. She also never got one any other time in her life. Just when at Disney World. ideas or suggestions to prevent this?

At one point we started filling water bottles with FL tap water from the resort room and drinking fountains. The two trips we did that DS got violently ill exactly five days into the vacation. (Throwing up only. No fever or other symptoms. Felt fine again after sleeping.) Every trip since we have purchased bottled water and he never has been sick again. Don't know if there's a scientific basis, but that's too much coincidence to me.

If the water has high Sulfur content it can make her sick and break out in hives if she is allergic to Sulfur, which I am.

You can't avoid bathing in it but you just have to be really fast about it and the hives fade away after an hour or two. It happens to me. But I never drink tap water no matter where I am so it won't make me ill physically.

She is not imagining it. If she feels ill from it then it is making her ill. Unless she is a hypochondriac who is constantly claiming to be ill all the time, I would believe her.

She would need to ask her doctor about avoiding UTIs but they always say you need to drink alot. Maybe with it being hotter in Florida she isn't drinking enough and is getting a little dehydrated. Also cranberry juice is supposed to help - that was what my dad was told to drink.

I have learned to drink only bottled water at Disney. I have gotten very ill within a short time of drinking lots of water while dining at a very nice table service restaurant. Was traveling solo that trip; barely made it back to my room; actually called the restaurant the next day to see if others got sick. Was feeling fine the next day until I had some water from the drink station in the meeting room; immediately started feeling sick again. Decided I was sensitive to the water there, so have made it a point to stick with bottle water and have not had a problem since. The stress of travel affects everyone differently; for me it must be the change in water. A friend has had the same problem at Disney, so it's not just me.

Ok she says the problem was Urinary Tract infections both times she went, she got one. She also never got one any other time in her life. Just when at Disney World. ideas or suggestions to prevent this?

I'm pretty sure that this is going to be inappropriate, so if you are sensitive to bodily functions folks, please just skip this post. You've been warned

----------------
----------------
----------------
---------------
----------------

I get frequent UTI's. Here's what works for me

Change underwear 2-3x daily
Skip the cotton undies in lieu of microfiber or other breathable fabric
If she powders her legs/bikini area, be careful where she applies it
Rinse well, but don't use excessive amounts of soap cleaning her bikini area
Avoid soaking too long in pools/hot tubs (and shower afterwards)
Avoid taking long baths

And the standard Pee Frequently

Adding, I think the water in Florida is filtered ground water, the sulfur is just present naturally. Does your water come from Lake Michigan? That is the water we had when we lived in Chicago. Here, north of Dallas, our water comes from this nasty lake that almost goes dry during long, dry summers like we are having now. It is YUK!

We are originally from Plano and know all about that "bottom of the lake" taste and smell! We moved to Florida a couple of years ago and hate the sulpher taste and smell almost as much.

I guess it says something about the water I'm used to that I've never thought the water at WDW tastes funny. Tastes like home to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter