• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney World vs. Disneyland

I'm thinking about planning a Disneyland trip for next summer. We have been to DW several times and was wondering how Disneyland compares. Those of you have been been to both please give me your opinion. When we go they will be 17 and 15.

Thanks!

Easy answer... Disneyland is better! Nuff said!

I think WDW is an awesome and magical place, but for those making comparisons to DLR it is worth mentioning that for the immersiveness of WDW you have to pay a price. You spend a lot of time on transportation - buses, boats, trams, monorails or driving. I guess if you are used to to it that part can seem magical and immersive but really it is a big time waster - like an hour a day if you just focus on a single park and do not take afternoon breaks - and two hours a day if you do. And riding a bus is not magical to me. Staying across the street from DLR and waking up and walking right up to the parks is more magical to me than riding a bus.

Another price you pay at WDW is the need to plan things out so far in advance. That does not work well for us - especially now that I have kids in college. At DLR you just do not need to plan things out in advance and dining is much easier to deal with. It is far, far, FAR easier for me to get my crew together at DLR than WDW for that reason.

Both WDW and DLR are magical places, but when folks talk about some of the benefits of WDW they just take for granted some of the painful parts associated with those benefits and kind of forget about them.

Regarding CMs, I have a theory. At your home resort you know your way around and do not need to depend on CMs as much. When you visit a new resort you do need CMs more and their imperfections stand out more.

For example, on my first WDW trip when I was just trying to find my way around, I had so many CMs give me misinformation it was crazy. I asked a CM near JC one evening about the Spectromagic parade route because we wanted to visit Splash Mtn and she told me not to bother going to Splash Mtn because it always closed at dusk. (!)

Our first day ever at WDW was at the AK park a few months after EE opened. We arrived at the gates 30 minutes before park opening and headed to EE to get FPs and the ride was down and there was this sea of people on a hot, muggy June morning at the EE FP machines. It was mass confusion, kind of scary with all the people, no CMs in sight to help organize anything, and very non-magical. Those things happen. I could focus on those experiences and say something negative about WDW CMs. Over several trips I can honestly say I just have not seen a big difference between the CMs at WDW and DLR. Overall they are outstanding.

My two cents. :)

:wizard:

I think it depends on your expectations.

I am a WDW vet that just got back from DL and had some disappointments. I tried to go in with an open mind, but some things just aren't the same as they are in FL. Before anyone gets mad at me- I did end up with an awesome trip and WILL be going back in January and am HAPPY about it! I am not dissin' on Walt! Just saying I had a different set of expectations based on my WDW experiences that caused my own grief.

No problems with the original park- DL is incredible. I had no complaints about the park or the rides (other than breaking down a lot or being closed at inconvenient times for me) Loved Matterhorn and Space Mountain and IASW.

DCA didn't wow me as much as DL did to be honest. I felt it was a classy amusement park- not a Disney imagineered showcase like the WDW parks (not HS- I don't care for HS either) and DL are. It's done well in theme, but it didn't stand out to me to be "Disney." PP lacked creativity in the ride department (minus TSM, CS, and Ariel) I wasn't impressed with many of the carnival type rides over there- I could see why it lacked the crowds in the past. I only needed one day of DCA (except Carsland) and I was good.

But HOLY MOLY, Carsland is flippin amazing. They hit it out of the ball park with this one. Totally made going over to DCA worth it.

The weather was also a winner. We had highs of 83 at the end of July and Aug, and little humidity. Lovely. Simply lovely.

My biggest issue were the little details that are overlooked at DLR. WDW had a lot of extra space, so they put it to use in hiding things like the backs of buildings for example. At DL you see cast members walking around the park out of their element- no tunnel system, so of course they have to walk through the park to get to their positions. I know why, but it still bothered me a bit. You see more unintended back stage than you do at WDW and I felt it took away from *my* magical experience.

And yeah, I know, totally knit picking. It probably doesn't cross many peoples minds- But I am a big geek about these things so it stood out to me. A normal person would never notice.

The CMs were also just not as pleasant IMO or as enthusiastic about their jobs. We ran into a few folks who were simply NOT magical. I think this was the biggest thing I noticed. I don't know if WDW CMs are terrified into submission and faking their way through the day or what... but in all my visits there, I have never had an occasion to even think someone wasn't having a good day.

They work at Disneyland! Shouldn't they be HAPPY to spend every day in the magic?! LOL... I know, I know.... it's a job, and a hard job, and a hard customer service job at that. That's where the expectations come in- I had to remember that we are dealing with humans, not animatronic robots. :) OF course they might have an off day or moment or whatever. We all do it.

When I posted that on another board I was assured that was NOT the usual case at DL. So I do not want that to be read as a blanket statement that DL CMs are all jerks or whatever. We just happened to run into some folks who did not seem to get Customer Service 101 lessons- much less the Disney version of CS101. It happens everywhere- even at WDW I am sure (though I haven't experienced it!)

Anyway... there's a WDW vets opinion.

Will I go back? YES!

But my park of choice at this point will still be WDW. A PP mentioned exclusiveness- I think you are talking about the sense of being immersed in the World. We stayed on property at GCH and I didn't have the same feeling I have at WDW. If that's what you mean, then no, you won't get that feeling at DL. But it shouldn't ruin anything for you--- it's still magical, just different.

Should you go? YES! Any Disney lover needs to go see Walt's park. For sure. I loved that aspect of it - the history of what he did with that place is very very cool. I even teared up a little on Main St. See- big geek. I'm not ashamed!

:thumbsup2:love::worship::wave2:

All very true Hydro guy! Which is why I won't say WDW is better... Just different.

You do give up a lot of time at wdw with transportation. The point about knowing where to go with CMs is true- the main issue I had with a CM was with Matterhorn and single rider line. We did it wrong- and she was not happy about it. I admitted I made a mistake and offered to go back and correct it if she would tell me what to do. I was totally nice and just wanted direction (there was no line in single rider so we weren't cutting in front of anyone, just showed up without a single rider ticket or whatever)

She threw her hands up at me and stomped off saying "do whatever you want to do!"

Ooookkkayyy.... Not magical!

Part of that blame is on me, of course. I did it wrong because I didn't know any better. But the way she handled it really really shocked me.

I think there is one factor for us who live on the eastern side of the US & closer to WDW...and that factor is am I going to get my money 's worth out of DL as I do in WDW? If DL is describe as very nice weekend getaway but I am looking at double the airfare to LAX or SNA. I think that can be scary to even the most die-hard Disney fan (like my family). I get pin codes constantly from WDW & I know as soon as South West releases their rates from Pittsburgh to Orlando it will be at the lowest point. PIT to LAX/SNA are so high (I think they never want to let us out of Pittsburgh or we are known as a city that we like our "stay-vacations" or we all drive to Ocean City MD).

I am sure families in the west look at it the same. Should they stick with DL or take the big leap to WDW? Airfare can put on big damper on plans.:badpc:

We just got back from DL in July. We ahad a great time. It is nice that the parks and Downtown Disney are all right near each other versus DW were everything is spread out. We are going back in June next year and plan on 5 days which would be plenty of time to see the parks. The weather is much better. We were surprised that the parks were not crowded at all in the early morning. It appears that the crowds get a lot worse in the afternoon.

I'm lucky flights are similar for me- a little more to the LA area, but not too bad off. I'm right in the center of Texas and with just a couple hundred miles difference between World and Land, I have options!

My kids liked WDW better as well, which surprised me. I thought they would pick Land because we were there with cousins and the weather was nicer. But their vote is back to WDW next summer.

The parks were very easy to navigate early mornings (minus Carsland- that was a zoo!). I LOVED the mornings at DL. We had EMH the whole time as well, so that does factor in, but it was really awesome to jump from ride to ride without wait. I loved how close FL rides were to each other as well. Without crowds, it was wonderful. With crowds, I probably would say different, but it wasn't too bad when we were there. Thanks to Carsland!

I think there is one factor for us who live on the eastern side of the US & closer to WDW...and that factor is am I going to get my money 's worth out of DL as I do in WDW? If DL is describe as very nice weekend getaway but I am looking at double the airfare to LAX or SNA. I think that can be scary to even the most die-hard Disney fan (like my family). I get pin codes constantly from WDW & I know as soon as South West releases their rates from Pittsburgh to Orlando it will be at the lowest point. PIT to LAX/SNA are so high (I think they never want to let us out of Pittsburgh or we are known as a city that we like our "stay-vacations" or we all drive to Ocean City MD).

I am sure families in the west look at it the same. Should they stick with DL or take the big leap to WDW? Airfare can put on big damper on plans.:badpc:

I wouldn't describe DLR as a weekend park. We just spent 6 days there and still had things we didn't get to do. And we only rode RSR 3 times, and LFT twice. So, I think it definately would be worth the flight out. :)

I wouldn't describe DLR as a weekend park. We just spent 6 days there and still had things we didn't get to do. And we only rode RSR 3 times, and LFT twice. So, I think it definately would be worth the flight out. :)

Agreed, though I'm more likely to plan a DLR trip if I only have three or four days, since everything is so (relatively) compact and convenient to all points.

When I'm at DLR, I feel like I've been let loose in the world's coolest playground and I don't need permission to cross the street.

I wouldn't call it a weekend park, if you are visiting from out of state. I can understand why locals would call it that though.
We had three days and I wish we had one more because there was a lot of stuff we just didn't get to do.

Early mornings were fantastic at both parks. Not crowded at all. On our DL morning we were able to ride Dumbo, Mr. Toad, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Tea Cups, Buzz Lightyear, Matterhorn twice, Space Mtn, Pirates, HM, and Big Thunder before it got busy. It was great!

I forgot that one thing we didn't like was how they handle Fantasmic and World of Color. We thought it was crazy, and didn't bother to see Fantasmic. World of Color, they placed us (preferred viewing) in front of two little girls and we offered for them to come in front of us, but they declined. The whole show I struggled not only to see the show around a light and taller people, but I was worried the little girls couldn't see either.

We didn't notice a difference in CM's.

We're from Toronto. For us, WDW is closer but DLR is better. We love the closeness of everything and never having to wait for transportation. We find that everything is more adult friendly and we especially prefer the attitudes of the CMs at DLR. It is a cheaper vacation and a much more time efficient vacation.

I 'be been to both multiply time and prefer DLR, not a contest in my family. Though it is true that DL is my childhood vacation spot, my DH started out as a WDW fan from childhood he now is a whole hearted DL convert. He was blown away by ease of touring and weather (I k now not the most exciting things, but have a huge impact on experience)

I totally disagree with magic factor, there are tons of little touches and layering in DL that you might not notice on first or 2 nd trip if you 're busy trying trying to find your way around at either resort be it DL or Wdw.

As for CMs, Ive had rude and magical at both parks, if you 're looking to find stereotypes you 'll probably find them. Although its easier to find rude ones on miserable hot and crowded days in August. Sometimes you just get lucky. :rotfl2:

Same applies with cleanliness. I be heard stereotypes both ways, DL is generally cleaner, or WDW is generally cleaner. I saw the filthiest bathroom I 've ever seen in a Disney park in MK, but I be that certainly doesn't mean MK is generally dirty.

I think DCA biggest problem will always be that its next to DL which is the most magical of Disney parks IMO

Should you fly across the country to go? They are not the same, there are differents rides, hotels, dining, and shows. If those things interest you, you should go. I don 't think you should feel compelled to go just to say you 've been to the original as much as I love the original.:)

I forgot that one thing we didn't like was how they handle Fantasmic and World of Color. We thought it was crazy, and didn't bother to see Fantasmic. World of Color, they placed us (preferred viewing) in front of two little girls and we offered for them to come in front of us, but they declined. The whole show I struggled not only to see the show around a light and taller people, but I was worried the little girls couldn't see either.

YES! Big complaint for me as well. Fantasmic and WOC might have been the bomb diggity of shows, but my kids will never know since they couldn't see squat. We watched for a few minutes each and realized I was the only one enjoying it, so we moved out. I wasn't willing to give up hours of time camped out to ensure ideal spots, but others may be willing to do that.

But I knew these things going in. So it wasn't a surprise, just disappointing to me when we actually got there to see how things are laid out.

If I write out a pros and cons sheet, I suspect it will end up pretty equal on both sides. My preference being only having one trip to DL and many to WDW, so the WDW will get the edge for us.

I grew up going to DL (5 trips from Canada) and love it. I agree with previous posters about the closeness of the 2 parks and less walking between rides. Had first trip to WDW couple of years ago because of the water parks. For us the extra cost of the flight was offset by the all inclusive experience. At DL we pay for visits to Universal, Legoland and Sandiago zoo to fill our 10 day vacation but at WDW the 4 parks and 2 water parks fill all of the time at a lower total cost. Our budget does not stretch to the onsite DL hotels but in off season we can do a moderate at WDW which made the experience more magical for us. When going to DL we found ridemax really helped us avoid the lines and do everything we wanted. At WDW we found touring plans worked better. For us, DL is better for smaller kids and WDW for teens - but just an opinion.

We're heading to Disneyland in November, after having gone to Disney World multiple times (6 times for my wife, 24 times for me). I went to Disneyland a few times growing up, and my wife has never been. That being said, from what I remember, and from talking to other people, it seems like they are two very different partks, and both compliment each other well.

Disneyland is very well suited for a quicker trip. Everything is close together, and there are tons of attractions, so you get to go from ride to ride efficiently. There's also a real sense of history, as Walt actually walked the streets and had a hand in designing things.

Walt Disney World is much bigger and spread out, and more suited for a long vacation. It's more immersive (simply due to the fact it's far removed from any outside influences), and you can lose yourself in the Disney magic.

I think they're both worth visiting, just for different reasons. I love WDW, and I'm pretty sure I'll love DL as well.

I don't really get the mentality that you have to choose one over the other that seems so prevalent.

They are two totally different beings.

I grew up going to WDW with over 25 trips and still going strong.

I first went to DL three years ago.

Both entities are very special in their own ways. I really enjoy the fact that I do not have to travel...at ALL...to the parks at DL. I can go from the Grand Californian straight into DCA or walk through DTD to DL. That's a huge perk. There is less hustle and bustle in DL and less planning is required. I also feel that DL's DTD is AWESOME and much better than the World's.

WDW, though, has more parks to offer. The area is bigger and more spread out. I love how there are more resorts to explore as well.

It's difficult for me to say which I like better, but I do have to admit that DL is on the high end for right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter