Disney World vs. Disneyland physical size comparison

Love these pictures, thanks for posting. I haven't been to Disneyland and that is just fascinating.

Could someone make one comparing Universal Orlando (the whole resort including the hotels) versus all of WDW? I would be interested in that.

I was wondering that too!

The picture of Robo's bubble is just DL and not DCA or Downtown Disney and hotels.

Disney had been trying for years to purchase a substantial plot (or plots) of land in the vicinity of DLR
to handle expansion plans. When the so-called "strawberry fields" area became available for purchase,
Disney decided to build the layered parking and use the previous parking lots surrounding DLR to construct
the total DCA project and associated DTD, DL Hotel improvements.

I know it was posted on the net last week sometime that DL did buy Carousel Inn last month, which is a tiny and skinny motel. It will be interesting to see what their longtime plans are with it.

Is what's inside the Disneyland bubble just DL, or is it the whole DLR resort? it looks like just DL, but I wanted to check :)

That's the ENTIRE Disneyland Resort which has three large hotels, 2 theme parks, and Downtown Disney. All in that tiny square in my original post.

That's the ENTIRE Disneyland Resort which has three large hotels, 2 theme parks, and Downtown Disney. All in that tiny square in my original post.
I saw that :) i was asking what was in the Disneyland labeled bubble on robo's picture, which looked different. thanks, though!

OK everyone I have updated my picture to say exactly what's included when I say "Disneyland". Also included is the comparison to Universal Studios Florida and to the city of San Francisco.

You didn't include the Toy Story parking lot, however. Nor the Pumbaa lot, which is smaller.

We went to Disneyland 5 years ago and rented an offsite single family pool home. We we were able to walk to the parks from our house, which was amazing. No way could you walk to the parks from anything offsite at WDW! You can't even walk to the parks from most of the onsite hotels at WDW! (With the exception of CR to MK and the Epcot resorts to Epcot.)

This is a great comparison picture, thank you!

Might have to show it to some friends who weren't convinced about the sheer size and scale of WDW...

You didn't include the Toy Story parking lot, however. Nor the Pumbaa lot, which is smaller.

That's true, I did not, my bad. But even when included, at the 1-mile scale it adds a really tiny amount.

I think a fair comparison would be to overlay Disneyland park onto magic kingdom park. You would see that there is not as radical difference as one might be lead to believe. In fact I would venture to say magic kingdom park would also fit inside magic kingdom parking lot.

The true comparison would be to divide the number of attractions per acre of all 4 WDW parks combined vs 2 DLCA parks. You would likely find A higher density of attractions per acre in Cali. Disney Resorts and amenities outside the parks is really an apples n oranges comparison in my book. If u want to really get down to it then you would compare total WDW acreage vs total DLCA acreage, regardless of use. Then u could take that one step further and compare useable acreage vs total acreage at each location. As they say. "Size doesn't matter". It's how it's used that counts. For this DISr DLCA wins hands down.

Last edited:
When we went to WDW for the first time last June, size was the thing that hit us the most. (OK, that and the green grass- in California our grass is currently brown). Like someone else said, we were surprised about all the "freeways" on property! Sometimes we would be at one park and say let's go on ___. Oh, that's at a different park. At DLR all rides and restaurants are options for you at any given moment. DH kept asking to go on Star Tours when we were in the MK. :)

I was amazed at how small DLR was once I got there. I had heard it was small but never could picture it. I went over thanksgiving (the day before, day of and day after) and thought I will never see everything at both parks and it's going to be crowded. By the second day we had done almost everything. But it's nice to have everything right there. All rides are close together and you don't have to walk as much to get to things.

It might be that you are so close to non disney hotels/restaurants (which we stayed at bc the DLR was $$$$) that also changes the dynamic. So many places that are not disney operated right next to the parks.

I will say I wish WDW would add Cars Land. It's amazing. I feel WDW is missing something like that (esp since Harry Potter came to Universal). It's detail is amazing.

Just think how amazing Disneyworld could be if they had same density of hotel, parks, and rides that Disneyland had? 25+ E ticket attractions instead of just 2 or 3 like Disneyworld does at some of the parks.

I think a fair comparison would be to overlay Disneyland park onto magic kingdom park. You would see that there is not as radical difference as one might be lead to believe. In fact I would venture to say magic kingdom park would also fit inside magic kingdom parking lot.

The true comparison would be to divide the number of attractions per acre of all 4 WDW parks combined vs 2 DLCA parks. You would likely find A higher density of attractions per acre in Cali. Disney Resorts and amenities outside the parks is really an apples n oranges comparison in my book. If u want to really get down to it then you would compare total WDW acreage bs total DLCA acreage, regardless of use. Then u could take that one step further and compare useable acreage vs total acreage at each location. As they say. "Size doesn't matter". It's how it's used that counts. For this DISr DLCA wins hands down.

I don't think this was a "who's better? comparison". Just a comparison of sheer size.

I like DLR because it's so convenient, but on the flip side I like WDW because its size makes it feel more immersive.

agreed....just was looking to show there is more to look at for comparisons than DL fitting in MK's lot....me stating that I prefer DLCA is just my $.02 FWIW, LoL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter