Disney World Vacations And Cell Phone Use!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't sound you have much fun visiting WDW. You spend wayyyyyyyyyy to much time to look, find and criticize complete strangers. In your own words people can not do more than one thing once they are distracted and I would use my park time to enjoy myself and not play 007 to find imaginary enemies.

I agree. The OP is SO lucky to go to WDW as much as she does-enjoy it:)

A lot of us have given legitimate reasons why we have to use a cell phone-even at WDW-finding family in the Parks, sick ones at home , critical business calls etc. It is what it is

You are welcome, just don't do it on a ride.

Oh and I bring my loved ones with me. Why would I leave them only to have to call everyday? But that is me.

I'll do what I want, thanks.

And again, that's great that you can take your loved ones with you. But because I can't... what, I should just stay home?

this one REALLY cracks me up! Funny, I am in Disney at least 5 times a year with up to a month at anytime! I was also in Disney this past week for 10 days. I must have a HUGE comfortable lifestyle and I do not even have to do business on a cell phone!! lol.......really?:rolleyes:

and to me, the people on this thread with that "I can talk and text " where I want attitude are the same people that text and talk while driving ...and who always run the red lights while talking. And who twice almost killed ME while doing so! So NO sympathy here! I do Not want to see ya texting in front of me and stopping short!! And no one cares about your business on the phone, I know I do not! You are just not that important!! hate to break it to ya!!

This is precious.

Maybe you should stop going to Disney so often since it's obviously not much fun for you. You have a very narrow outlook on the world if you can't understand that some people have jobs where they absolutely need to be available via phone.

And I think it's funny that you've posted on the board almost every day that you were on vacation this past week for ten days. Couldn't leave the laptop at home, huh?

And how you can compare walking and driving is beyond me.

this one REALLY cracks me up! Funny, I am in Disney at least 5 times a year with up to a month at anytime! I was also in Disney this past week for 10 days. I must have a HUGE comfortable lifestyle and I do not even have to do business on a cell phone!! lol.......really?:rolleyes:

:scared1: Are you serious saying that because you are able to do that, that all people are? And I would say yes maybe you do have a comfortable lifestyle but the difference is that the pp you quoted has to work hard for hers making sure her business succeeds :rolleyes:

Thank god I know how to drive trucks and motorcycles and have total control!!! But all you texters in Disney last week.....just completely RUDE!!!!!!

I just read this and thank God I know how to shove 19.000 tons of coal in a lock,text with one hand,look at two radars,drink coffee, ,look at a Nautical GPS system, two other screens at the INTERNET, use three nautical phones to keep in contact with the lock masters, serve two motors, heck and bow to avoid damaging the lock AND at the same time enjoy a conversation with the police officer that is with me and is looking at my official papers and drinking coffee with me. Baby you ain't seen nothing yet.
4.gif

this one REALLY cracks me up! Funny, I am in Disney at least 5 times a year with up to a month at anytime! I was also in Disney this past week for 10 days.

I must have a HUGE comfortable lifestyle and I do not even have to do business on a cell phone!! lol.......really?:rolleyes:

!!

I am trying to figure out what employment you have that allows 5 vacations a year of up to a month at a time?

I'm lucky to go once every other year- but even so DH does not have a job he can walk away from-he is the link to all his customers via his cell. he does not work from his company's office-we have a home office plus he is on the road-so cell communication is a MUST.

Why cant you understand there are all kinds of jobs that are not 9-5 on the clock at an office?:confused3

You didn't ask me, but - I think it shows a lack of respect to your fellow passengers, and to the attraction designers. If you're texting, you're not fully appreciating the attraction.

Oh, boy. I never thought about it, but do you think maybe we rely TOO much on technology? No, you don't need to 'go around asking CMs or other Guests' to find out about a shuttle launch; presuming one didn't already know the schedule for this rare/occasional but publicized event, there is Guest Services in the park or any resort.

Ditto for the restaurant, both the reservation and the menu. Go all the way to Epcot for information? Really? What ever did people do before cell phones and the Internet? Oh, right. They went to Guest Services, or they went to ANY Walt Disney World restaurant, and asked for the information.

Since using my camera to record experiences for posterity doesn't take away from the experience, I can't see how someone using their cell phone camera would, either :confused3

But all this aside, the OP wasn't addressing ANY of this. She/he was addressing a specific demographic which seems addicted to a specific behavior, to the point of a lack of consideration of the people affected.

My point was that using a cell phone for this sort of thing is much, much easier than the alternative, not that it's the only way to go about it. (and I didn't know that you could make reservations at any Disney restaurant, I'm going to assume that there are others who wouldn't know that either)
I think walking to guest services to wait in line, when you have a capable phone in your pocket, just to avoid using your phone on vacation seems ridiculous. Kind of like going to fetch a pail of water when your standing next to the kitchen sink. Maybe if your feeling a wave of nostalgia for the good ol' days of waiting in line to ask a question.
The OP stated that when she brings her phone to the park, she only uses it for emergencies. I was pointing out that lots of people are using their phones because it allows them more time to enjoy the parks, and if you had one in your pocket that you could use for those things, why wouldn't you? Why would you reserve it just for emergencies? How does googling when the shuttle launch is, instead of asking at guest services take away from vacation? How does texting some one else in your party instead of setting up a time to meet take away from the experience?
I don't know how anyone knows what everyone else is using their phone for. How do you know when I'm texting if I'm posting on facebook or letting some one in my party know to meet me somewhere? How do you know if I'm playing doodle jump or looking up menus on a dining app? How do you know if that "20 something" at the restaurant is ignoring their companion or looking up the best place to view fireworks?
Some people on this thread seem to be assuming that all of us cell phone users are on facebook, personal calls, or twitter, and that the phone is taking away from our experience. That we are all so addicted we are just letting the real world fade away. I'm just saying you don't necessarily know what that person is doing on their cell phone, and they could be getting Disney information while waiting in line for splash mountain...while the "I'm too in the moment to use a cell phone on vacation" people are waiting in line at guest services for the same info. Congrats. to them on avoiding the evils of cell phones! I'd rather ride splash mountain.

Some people have a very narrow-minded view of how the world should revolve. Things are only acceptable if it's important to them and everyone should do the same. And then they ridicule and discount anyone else that has a contrary opinion since it hasn't been experienced by them, it must not be real.

Further, some people think the park was made for them and that they should have a clear, unobstructed, red carpet path from attraction to attraction. And then they feel compelled to judge based on the snapshot of what they think they've seen.

It's not pretty when a snowflake grows up.

My point was that using a cell phone for this sort of thing is much, much easier than the alternative, not that it's the only way to go about it. (and I didn't know that you could make reservations at any Disney restaurant, I'm going to assume that there are others who wouldn't know that either)
I think walking to guest services to wait in line, when you have a capable phone in your pocket, just to avoid using your phone on vacation seems ridiculous. Kind of like going to fetch a pail of water when your standing next to the kitchen sink. Maybe if your feeling a wave of nostalgia for the good ol' days of waiting in line to ask a question.
The OP stated that when she brings her phone to the park, she only uses it for emergencies. I was pointing out that lots of people are using their phones because it allows them more time to enjoy the parks, and if you had one in your pocket that you could use for those things, why wouldn't you? Why would you reserve it just for emergencies? How does googling when the shuttle launch is, instead of asking at guest services take away from vacation? How does texting some one else in your party instead of setting up a time to meet take away from the experience?
I don't know how anyone knows what everyone else is using their phone for. How do you know when I'm texting if I'm posting on facebook or letting some one in my party know to meet me somewhere? How do you know if I'm playing doodle jump or looking up menus on a dining app? How do you know if that "20 something" at the restaurant is ignoring their companion or looking up the best place to view fireworks?
Some people on this thread seem to be assuming that all of us cell phone users are on facebook, personal calls, or twitter, and that the phone is taking away from our experience. That we are all so addicted we are just letting the real world fade away. I'm just saying you don't necessarily know what that person is doing on their cell phone, and they could be getting Disney information while waiting in line for splash mountain...while the "I'm too in the moment to use a cell phone on vacation" people are waiting in line at guest services for the same info. Congrats. to them on avoiding the evils of cell phones! I'd rather ride splash mountain.

I don't much care what people do with their cell phones at Disney, but the bolded part just reminded me of a cute story that didn't turn out too well for a cell phone user who thought he could do business in public.
This didn't happen at Disney, but in a restaurant. I was seated at the next booth to the man on a cell phone. I had accompanied DH on a business trip across the country and we were getting ready to have dinner. DH left the table for a few minutes and I sat there alone and could easily hear the business conversation in the next booth.
At first it was just stray conversation, but then I started to hear DH's business being mentioned and heard the names of people that I knew from DH's work. The cell talker was describing how he felt his company could short change an upcoming contract with DH's company and get away with it.
The information didn't affect DH directly, but he was aware of the contract and passed on what occured to the appropriate people.
At a meeting a few weeks later the cell caller was very surprised to find that DH's company discovered the shortchanging and that his companny had lost the contract because of a conversation on a cell phone.

If Disney thought cellphones were inappropriate in their parks then they would have rules around their usage. And the would not be creating and promoting new apps that allow you to manage your vacation right from your phone!!

http://disneyparksmobile.com/mobilemagic/

As for people stopping and blocking the walkway that has been a problem forever, not just a recent issue with texting.

I also have a job that may require me to be in touch with an office even when I am on vacation. Don't like, but I like my paycheck that affords my Disney vacations more!

I agree that while on rides/shows the light from a phone or a phone conversation is distracting and people should refrain from cellphone use then.

But in the end, I am there to have fun and I pay more attention to my family and my two small children than what other people are doing.

I don't much care what people do with their cell phones at Disney, but the bolded part just reminded me of a cute story that didn't turn out too well for a cell phone user who thought he could do business in public.
This didn't happen at Disney, but in a restaurant. I was seated at the next booth to the man on a cell phone. I had accompanied DH on a business trip across the country and we were getting ready to have dinner. DH left the table for a few minutes and I sat there alone and could easily hear the business conversation in the next booth.
At first it was just stray conversation, but then I started to hear DH's business being mentioned and heard the names of people that I knew from DH's work. The cell talker was describing how he felt his company could short change an upcoming contract with DH's company and get away with it.
The information didn't affect DH directly, but he was aware of the contract and passed on what occured to the appropriate people.
At a meeting a few weeks later the cell caller was very surprised to find that DH's company discovered the shortchanging and that his companny had lost the contract because of a conversation on a cell phone.

That's a great story, one that is a good indication of how many people become oblivious to who might be listening to their conversations. I do know a few people who want others to hear them just to feed their egos, but I suspect most think they're in a "cone of silence" within a crowd.

That's a great story, one that is a good indication of how many people become oblivious to who might be listening to their conversations. I do know a few people who want others to hear them just to feed their egos, but I suspect most think they're in a "cone of silence" within a crowd.

No they are not but looking at your signature I can assure you that my friends daughter takes EVERY call no matter where she is or what she is doing when her deployed husband is calling.

and to me, the people on this thread with that "I can talk and text " where I want attitude are the same people that text and talk while driving ...and who always run the red lights while talking. And who twice almost killed ME while doing so! So NO sympathy here! I do Not want to see ya texting in front of me and stopping short!! And no one cares about your business on the phone, I know I do not!

So, you think just because you don't have to be available by phone that everybody doesn't have to?

I can guarantee you that DH HAS to be contactable 24x7. That means carrying his cell phone with him at all times. This is not just him being a work-a-holic. It is part and parcel of his job. His work phone rolls to his cell phone when he is not in the office.

You are just not that important!! hate to break it to ya!!
Ditto.

You might as well get used to it. Cell phones are not going away any time soon. I wouldn't be holding my breath that they ever get banned in public.

Oh, and I am not 20, but a 52 year old woman that texts constantly. It is my preferred mode of communication. I also have embraced and love how technology has made my life easier and richer, such as being able to look at dining apps on my phone. And I NEVER text and drive. Neither does my 20 year old.

So, very, very poor analogy.

I also have never tuned out my family. Using recent technology for information actually gives me more time with my family than having to excuse myself for a considerable length of time to run to guest services. I would rather take 5 minutes to check an app than disappear for half an hour while I go to some restaurant or guest services to get info.

My daughter has Down syndrome. Being able to text has opened up her life in ways we never thought possible. People with Down syndrome often have difficulties with expressive speech. It is very frustrating as they know what they want to say, just can't get it out. With texting, she can now express herself in ways that we take for granted.

That is way more important to me than any angry and bitter person who thinks their way is the only way. So yes, to quote you - You are just not that important!! hate to break it to ya!!

Signed - A cell phone using, texting family.

:rolleyes:
So, you think just because you don't have to be available by phone that everybody doesn't have to?

I can guarantee you that DH HAS to be contactable 24x7. That means carrying his cell phone with him at all times. This is not just him being a work-a-holic. It is part and parcel of his job. His work phone rolls to his cell phone when he is not in the office.

Ditto.

You might as well get used to it. Cell phones are not going away any time soon. I wouldn't be holding my breath that they ever get banned in public.

Oh, and I am not 20, but a 52 year old woman that texts constantly. It is my preferred mode of communication. I also have embraced and love how technology has made my life easier and richer, such as being able to look at dining apps on my phone. And I NEVER text and drive. Neither does my 20 year old.

So, very, very poor analogy.

I also have never tuned out my family. Using recent technology for information actually gives me more time with my family than having to excuse myself for a considerable length of time to run to guest services. I would rather take 5 minutes to check an app than disappear for half an hour while I go to some restaurant or guest services to get info.

My daughter has Down syndrome. Being able to text has opened up her life in ways we never thought possible. People with Down syndrome often have difficulties with expressive speech. It is very frustrating as they know what they want to say, just can't get it out. With texting, she can now express herself in ways that we take for granted.

Signed - A cell phone using, texting family.

That is way more important to me than any angry and bitter person who thinks their way is the only way. So yes, to quote you - You are just not that important!! hate to break it to ya!!
I do not have to get used to anything!!!!!
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

oh and thanks for reminding me...I have to report the ME driver that was texting an driving the bus!!!(personal cell..none work cell)

No they are not but looking at your signature I can assure you that my friends daughter takes EVERY call no matter where she is or what she is doing when her deployed husband is calling.

That's a very good reason. :thumbsup2

My grandson has done two tours in Iraq and will deploy to Afghanistan in December. We always pay closer attention when he's away. ::yes::

:lmao:

The ONLY way I can go to WDW is having to drag Mr Moneybags (my DH;) ) along.

He has to be in contact with his customers-who are all in the midst of ongoing projects (some are million dollar projects).

He then tells his customers to contact "Joe" for this...or "Steve" for that..etc

I'm sorry his using his cell phone upsets you so much.;)

:thumbsup2 This is us. My hubby was on a big dollar conference call in the middle of Disneyland this summer. The way I see it, if it weren't for those calls there would be no Disney for us. So yack away honey.

That's a very good reason. :thumbsup2

My grandson has done two tours in Iraq and will deploy to Afghanistan in December. We always pay closer attention when he's away. ::yes::

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
And we are glued to the computer screen every time he is on MSN and in silent pray thank God he is well.

Looking at this topic its so trivial fighting over cell phone use while our young people are fighting withe their own life on stack to guarantee us that we are able to keep using cell phones and not have to deal with terrible laws that will stone woman to death because they use a cell phone or dare to drive a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter