• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney World to change ride access program for disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how this would impact the scooter rentals. If someone needs a scooter then they will rent one regardless. My mother requires a scooter when we go and we have never even thought of getting a gac because the scooter takes care of the issue she has. We pull fast passes just like everyone else and if there's a separate entrance then we go there. Many rides require you to transfer to a wheelchair which we have not had ant issues with. I always looked at the gac for adults/children with disabilities other than mobility issues.

A

To the discussion of "equal" accommodation, I have to say that the one thing that Disney did for Autism families is "autism accommodation". It's not giving us the equal of everyone else, it's giving us what we need to be able to go to Disney World. Yes, that's sometimes "more" than what other people get. But I always felt that Disney recognized that the rest of the time, we get a whole lot "less" than what other people get and somehow, just for that week or two, we could be happy, have fun together and hopefully lessen stress.

Very well stated. Disney has been wonderful at making magical vacations happen for so many families that otherwise wouldn't have been able to enjoy this special time. I also have an ASD child, so can totally relate to pretty much everything you said. The only thing worse than looks from other visitors when they perceive "special treatment" are all the looks when your child starts stimming in a crowded line or has a full blown meltdown. No, it's not bad parenting or inability to control your child - it's autism, and that's just a glimpse of what life is like for that family each and everyday! We're headed to WDW in five weeks, so I am curious to see how this all plays out in the coming weeks. I hope you and your family have a wonderful, magical vacation :)

I don't see how this would impact the scooter rentals. If someone needs a scooter then they will rent one regardless. My mother requires a scooter when we go and we have never even thought of getting a gac because the scooter takes care of the issue she has. We pull fast passes just like everyone else and if there's a separate entrance then we go there. Many rides require you to transfer to a wheelchair which we have not had ant issues with. I always looked at the gac for adults/children with disabilities other than mobility issues.

You're right. Those with ONLY mobility issues have not needed a GAC. The use of assistive devices was the only accommodation needed and the only visual cue that a CM needed in order to help these guests. The DAS should have no impact on this. It's interesting to note, however, that when we visited DLP and Tokyo Disney, the cards were also required for those using wheelchairs and ECVs. I wonder if WDW will eventually also go this route.

I would like to comment on a few of the statements made here.

1. First, the GAC was never originally intended ONLY for those with physical disabilities. Or at least not only those physical disabilities that rquired the use of a wheelchair.

Not true and a very interesting article on why those with mental illnesses should not skip the lines:

In the past, certainly when I first started at City Hall in the late 1990’s the passes were reserved for the permanently physically disabled, those for example who were wheelchair bound, the Blind or the acutely deaf. As time went by and Disney’s understanding of disability issues broadened those Guests with certain other afflictions such as Autism were brought into the scheme.

**I can't post the link but it is located on afterthemouse.com/node/2439

Do we know if guests with immune issues will be able to use a baby-swap type area to wait while the rest of the family does the standing in line part?

*i* understand that being in the park at all is an immune system assault, but FIL has some personal hang-ups about being too close to people for too long (a kid might sneeze on him, someone might touch him, etc) but he'll touch a menu in a restaurant or sit in a theater chair without much thought. It's his ow mental hang up, but it'd make everyone in the family happier if we could just 'stash him somewhere' til we're almost ready to load. Is that a thing on the old GAC or new DAS? We've never used the system before

A perfect example is the Kilimanjaro Safari ride. We made the mistake of not using the GAC and instead went through the standard queue (it was only a 15 minute wait) but after waiting in line, we then were pulled out to go to the disability line which took forever due to very few wheelchair accessible vehicles. BTW, not one of the wheelchair bound "disabled" rode in their wheelchair like our child did but was able to transfer flawlessly. You could hear a lot of them complaining how long it took and how they should have gone through the regular queue. :)

This was us, sort of. We had a wheelchair with us last week because my mother (76 years old) gets tired, and also doesn't ride a lot of the Big rides so spends a good amount of time sitting, waiting, for me and the kids- it's awesomely nice to be able to set up a place to sit in the shade no matter what the bench/shade situation is. So, we went to use our FP+ on the Safari- we were looking for a place to park the wheelchair but they were all, oh, no! you can take it right through the FP line and park it really close! So, uh, ok. We're new, what do we know? We go through the line and there's the stroller parking along the way but *oh no*, we can't put a wheelchair there, and are instead directed through to the alternate access line which takes... a long time. :-/ We didn't really complain about it, but did commiserate with others in the line- there was a group of about 9 at the front, with a single wheelchair, and then various people behind. There was a couple who were using an ECV- the wife actually needed it because she can't walk for long, but also can't sit for long, so she would use it, then they'd have to swap out so she could walk and her husband would have to drive the ECV since you can't push the things (a clear downside to ECVs for those of us with partial issues- my mom doesn't want NO walking, she just *sometimes* needs to be not walking; likewise, my asthma and leg pains put me in the chair for various periods of the days, but I'm not going to give in to my lungs and just drive- my only chance of getting better is to exercise). We were all a little disgruntled with the situation, I guess- middle of a hot, sticky day, and a longish wait on a day when the waits were not generally long.

We never intended to use the wheelchair to get us into or around any lines, so it was a surprise to find ourselves in the disability line for the Safaris, waiting significantly longer than we'd expected with the FP+. It was what it was, though, and it was still a fantastic, fun ride!

I deeply hope that the new system is not the falling sky that some are worried about, and I have confidence that Disney will iron out kinks to truly help the wide variety of people with disabilities who have so loved coming to the parks because of how well they are generally treated. My friends with kids with autism are certainly watching carefully.

As I have said before, I really wish Disney had waited to roll this out AFTER they offer FP+ to everyone. We are staying at a resort which is not FP+ enabled yet.

If we had the FP + option, I would use that and would not have so much worry over how the new DAS is going to affect us.

I agree with that. It is unfair that Disney is implementing this before FP+ is available to all. We are staying off site so no FP+ for us. We are going on Thanksgiving week so WDW will be packed, and likely our chance of using regular FP will be very limited as we can never make RD because of extensive respiratory treatmend DD has to get in the morning. We also always have to leave early for her afternoon respiratory treatment, so we may be able to do 1 or 2 rides as posted waiting times likely will be close to 120 min like last year. It would make a huge difference if FP+ was already available.

Do we know if guests with immune issues will be able to use a baby-swap type area to wait while the rest of the family does the standing in line part?

*i* understand that being in the park at all is an immune system assault, but FIL has some personal hang-ups about being too close to people for too long (a kid might sneeze on him, someone might touch him, etc) but he'll touch a menu in a restaurant or sit in a theater chair without much thought. It's his ow mental hang up, but it'd make everyone in the family happier if we could just 'stash him somewhere' til we're almost ready to load. Is that a thing on the old GAC or new DAS? We've never used the system before

I don't think GAC/DAS is intended for personal hang-ups.

I'm incredibly uncomfortable with both crowds and physical contact (including with family/friends) but I wouldn't get a GAC/DAS for it. It's not a disability.

I don't think GAC/DAS is intended for personal hang-ups.

I'm incredibly uncomfortable with both crowds and physical contact (including with family/friends) but I wouldn't get a GAC/DAS for it. It's not a disability.

It's not *just* a personal hang up. He is immune compromised after a stem cell transplant and chemo. So he's not supposed to get extra germy exposure. The dr ok'ed his disney visit if he went on "slow days" and was careful about touching things. Ideally we can all wait (like the normal line) and just pick him up when we're close to the end. No skipping or cutting ahead. Just keeping him away from people would be nicer (especially for his sanity) than just a face mask and copious amounts of sanitizer

Ideally we can all wait (like the normal line) and just pick him up when we're close to the end. No skipping or cutting ahead.

We wanted to ride Splash Mountain and didn't think our disabled child could handle it so we asked the CM if one of us could wait at the loading area in the cool with our child and then do a baby-swap while the rest of us waited in the standard line. The CM said no but she did talk us into taking our child on the ride. :)

I'm fine with giving me a time to return. Done before. I can't wait in a long line, because I have to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes, really! Damn bladder disease. But as long as I can wait to the side, go to the bathroom if I have to, no prob. Note: There are rides I skip, because there's not a separate entrance or the wheelchair entrence is integrated and too long.

However, how long will I have to wait to get a return pass? if there's only one space for several rides, that could get really congested!

I get why they are doing this, but think it's the wrong solution. I have a lower back disc protrusion that only allows me to spend about 5 hours on my feet at a time, and no more than 5 minutes in 1 place without moving. Before, the system allowed me to be able to see all of the attractions before I had to go back to the resort. This new system will not allow that.

As for anyone who has a problem with it, I'll trade standing in line any day for the pain that I'm in on a daily basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter