Disney World Smells

agame2323

DIS Veteran
Now when I say “Disney smells,” I don’t mean that in a negative way. This was first brought to my attention almost 10yrs ago!

One day, I was standing in line waiting for Space Mountain. It was one of those “super hot” mid summer days and I was dying from the heat. So SM became a nice escape from the sun. Anyway, while in line I happened to be underneath a vent that was blowing some nice COLD air on me. “Yes,” I thought as I closed my eyes and tilted my head back as if the air were drops of rain. As I inhaled, I noticed that this “air” did not smell like air (if that makes any sense). It had a very unique smell to it. To this day I can’t describe it. Once we left SM, we made our way to a small gift shop located in tomorrowland. Again, attempting to “beat the heat,” I made my way to the back of the store where an air vent was located. And again I smelled that unique sent. “Amazing,” I thought.

Throughout the duration of our trip (8days) I continued to smell this sent whenever I was in an air conditioned enviorment. No matter what park, time of day, or attraction, this sent was present. The sent itself is not bad. In fact, it’s a little addicting. As I said, it does not have a picticular sent attached to it. Its doesn’t smell like a fruit, or flower. Its just a smell.

During the last day of my trip, I asked one Disney official if there was something being put in the ventilation system. Perhaps it was a fragrance of some sort developed by Disney. He assured me that the air coming through the ventilation system was just…well…air. He even went as far as to explain how the ventilation system works. However, he did mention one thing that stuck out. This gentleman informed me that he had been with Disney since the 70’s working with park operations. In a private setting, he told me he’s heard and seen some pretty amazing things over the years. He said he truly believes there is a certain “magic” to Walt Disney World. He told me a story about one time when the park closed for the day something “special” took place right in front of his eyes. (I’ll tell that story some other time) But as far as the “smell” goes…he said its all apart of that Disney “magic.”

Disney World Smells ...

Yes I agree and was wondering when someone would eventually post on this subject. I have always thought that the whole place smelled "Goofy" to me! (snare drum roll for effect). With that I am going to bed! Goodnight Vienna!:goofy: :smickey:

very true, Disney really does :goodvibes i know what you mean. i miss it!
though you have to admit, it sounds funny saying it! :lmao:

I talk about this all the time. So few people seem to get it. It's like every ride, and every corner of the park has it's own smell. But the one that always gets me is the smell of diesel fuel and the sound of the motors from the bus. Because when I get that sound/smell combination, I know I'm either about to go have an awesome time at a park, or I'm coming back from having had an awesome day at the park. Now anytime, no matter where I am, if I smell diesel, it takes me back and reminds me of WDW...

I love the scents that you do pick up around disney! Smell actually triggers memory better than any of the other senses. From the popcorn at the entrance to Casey's hotdogs, it is wonderful. I wouldn't be surprised if ever the 'air' smelled better!

Now when I say “Disney smells,” I don’t mean that in a negative way. This was first brought to my attention almost 10yrs ago!

One day, I was standing in line waiting for Space Mountain. It was one of those “super hot” mid summer days and I was dying from the heat. So SM became a nice escape from the sun. Anyway, while in line I happened to be underneath a vent that was blowing some nice COLD air on me. “Yes,” I thought as I closed my eyes and tilted my head back as if the air were drops of rain. As I inhaled, I noticed that this “air” did not smell like air (if that makes any sense). It had a very unique smell to it. To this day I can’t describe it. Once we left SM, we made our way to a small gift shop located in tomorrowland. Again, attempting to “beat the heat,” I made my way to the back of the store where an air vent was located. And again I smelled that unique sent. “Amazing,” I thought.

Throughout the duration of our trip (8days) I continued to smell this sent whenever I was in an air conditioned enviorment. No matter what park, time of day, or attraction, this sent was present. The sent itself is not bad. In fact, it’s a little addicting. As I said, it does not have a picticular sent attached to it. Its doesn’t smell like a fruit, or flower. Its just a smell.

During the last day of my trip, I asked one Disney official if there was something being put in the ventilation system. Perhaps it was a fragrance of some sort developed by Disney. He assured me that the air coming through the ventilation system was just…well…air. He even went as far as to explain how the ventilation system works. However, he did mention one thing that stuck out. This gentleman informed me that he had been with Disney since the 70’s working with park operations. In a private setting, he told me he’s heard and seen some pretty amazing things over the years. He said he truly believes there is a certain “magic” to Walt Disney World. He told me a story about one time when the park closed for the day something “special” took place right in front of his eyes. (I’ll tell that story some other time) But as far as the “smell” goes…he said its all apart of that Disney “magic.”

Please tell the story......:lovestruc

Although I most associate it with Six Flags Over Georgia from the 70s (my early years), to me the "amusement park smell" is wet (from water) asphalt. The kind they use to pave most amusement park walkways. Many parks use the same type, and that smell always makes me think "amusement park".

Although I most associate it with Six Flags Over Georgia from the 70s (my early years), to me the "amusement park smell" is wet (from water) asphalt. The kind they use to pave most amusement park walkways. Many parks use the same type, and that smell always makes me think "amusement park".

Me too!!!!!:thumbsup2

The smell of Bus Fumes sends me instantly back to DLR and getting off the plane at LAX.

Oh the sweet smell of Disney! :love: There is no smell like Disney anywhere else on earth! I love walking into my resort and smelling the Disney smell! Even the Disney water smell! I had gotten a bath and body scent a few years ago and my DH said that is smelled close to Disney! It's the smell of magic and mayhem! (sorry...thinking about P&PP!)

I totally agree. A smell that always stays in my mind is something at the concourse of CR---not sure what it is, but it's had that smell since the first time I stayed there about 30 years ago!

I have never mentioned that smell to anyone else, but I know EXACTLY what you mean. I love it and it's very disticnt. If someone blindfolded me and I did not hear a sound, if I smelled that air, I would know I was in Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter