Disney World Orlando is beginning to disappoint me

I keep going 1-2 times a year to experience something new... this trip the Halloween party and Food and Wine festival, last year Star Wars weekend. I am excited about the upcoming changes but it may take forever until it is a reality. We almost went to DLR in June, the airfare was so high and flight times bad that we bought APs for WDW instead. We are planning to go in March 2017. So, I understand your hesitation especially if you have been before.

I love all the changes that are coming down the road and can't wait to experience them. Problem is, I will probably be 90 when all is said and done!

Now calm down everyone, I know these things take time but honestly, it seems Disney draaaaaaaaaaags things out and other theme parks do things much quicker.
Oh.... agreed! (flame suit on):coffee:

Here is the issue I'm having. Each time I go I find the Disney world parks to have little/no enhancement. At the same time I am seeing that most attractions in all 4 parks are also at disneyland's 2 parks (which are 100 feet away from each other).

We did 2 trips to WDW within a year! I do agree with what you are saying. The second trip, just a few weeks ago, was very lackluster! We did ride Everest for the first time which was fun (it was down the first trip) and I talked DD into getting on ToT (she rode it when she was small and said "Never Again") We like the characters and magic shots so we did have fun with photos. Travelling between parks just to ride one ride is very time consuming! JMHO....don't flame me!!! I don't understand why people visit WDW every year or multiple times a year to stay in the resorts, use the pools, and eat in the restaurants. It's very expensive!!!! There are cheaper resorts, with nice pools, and better food in places other than WDW.

I know you have Universal in California also. We had a blast at US/IOA this past trip. 2 parks, side by side. One central parking area! Most all the rides at US/IOA were new to us so that does make things a little more exciting.

Love the WDW magic but it will be a few years before going back again!

Here's my take on Disney World versus Disneyland.

If going to Disney is all about parks and attractions for you, then, in many respects, Disneyland is superior to Disney World. At Disneyland, you have as many attractions in two parks (that are right next to each other) as Disney World has in four parks (that are spread apart). And, I'd argue that the top 10-15 attractions at Disneyland are actually, on average, somewhat better than the top 10-15 at Disney World (for, example, Radiator Springs Racers, is, IMO, the best attraction at all 6 US Disney parks). Plus, Southern California has, on average, better weather than Central Florida. That being said, there's nothing at Disneyland that compares to Epcot World Showcase or Animal Kingdom. Conversely, there's nothing at Disney World that compares to Cars Land.

Parks aside, where I think Disney World beats Disneyland is in the immersive resort experience. At Disney World, if you stay on property, you enter the Disney bubble even before you leave the airport (once arriving at Magical Express). And once on Disney property, you're immersed in Disney as far as the eye can see. In contrast, at Disneyland, you're on a small island in the middle of Anaheim. In addition, Disney World has 20 themed resorts and over 60 table service restaurants. In contrast, Disneyland has only three hotels and about a dozen table service restaurants. While I'd argue that the quality of the resort and restaurant offerings is just as good, if not better, at Disneyland than Disney World, the variety doesn't even come close.

In short, we enjoy the Disneyland parks just as much, if not more, than the Disney World parks. Be we enjoy the entire vacation experience more at Disney World.

WDW is starting to be like work, with all the planning for fastpass+,I'd feel like a sheep that's been herded to where they want me to go. The stress trying to get to your fastpass or a dinner reservation, the last time our reservation were mostly out of the parks at a hotel because it's all you can get and that's making it 180 days out . It's all about keeping track of time and where you got to be! My 1st trip was in 96 around Easter as busy as it was it was more enjoyable that the last one because we took our time and didn't have to watch the clock and didn't feel rushed. WDW is loosing it's magic
and it all about herding and where they want you to go, might as well stay home and work, there I get paid to watch the clock!!!

If going to Disney is all about parks and attractions for you, then, in many respects, Disneyland is superior to Disney World. At Disneyland, you have as many attractions in two parks (that are right next to each other) as Disney World has in four parks (that are spread apart). And, I'd argue that the top 10-15 attractions at Disneyland are actually, on average, somewhat better than the top 10-15 at Disney World (for, example, Radiator Springs Racers, is, IMO, the best attraction at all 6 US Disney parks). Plus, Southern California has, on average, better weather than Central Florida. That being said, there's nothing at Disneyland that compares to Epcot World Showcase or Animal Kingdom. Conversely, there's nothing at Disney World that compares to Cars Land.

Parks aside, where I think Disney World beats Disneyland is in the immersive resort experience. At Disney World, if you stay on property, you enter the Disney bubble even before you leave the airport (once arriving at Magical Express). And once on Disney property, you're immersed in Disney as far as the eye can see. In contrast, at Disneyland, you're on a small island in the middle of Anaheim. In addition, Disney World has 20 themed resorts and over 60 table service restaurants. In contrast, Disneyland has only three hotels and about a dozen table service restaurants. While I'd argue that the quality of the resort and restaurant offerings is just as good, if not better, at Disneyland than Disney World, the variety doesn't even come close.

In short, we enjoy the Disneyland parks just as much, if not more, than the Disney World parks. Be we enjoy the entire vacation experience more at Disney World.

This. I am a WDW veteran at this point. It is a short non-stop Southwest for me to get there and I thought it was the best thing possible. Then I went to DLR. Wow. I absolutely love the ease of the two parks and that park hopping means simply walking from one set of gates to the other. We are not the type of family who spends a load of time at the resorts themselves so the loss of that immersion is not something I am worried about. Also, Cars Land is truly amazing. Truly.

I think that the Disney bubble is way overrated but to each their own. OP, you have what might be the best of all the Disney parks close to you so it makes sense that the differences wouldn't stand out for the most part. You might want to explore the possibility of Tokyo Disney or either way just put off coming to WDW until they get some of the new projects done. Someday...

For several years in a row I had an AP for Paris. On one of the last trips before we decided we needed a break, we spent the entire weekend going from Pirates to Big Thunder Mountain to Haunted Mansion. All weekend, as the other rides didnt interest us any longer. Now it's about 2-3 years later, I visited WDW an DL in the meant me, and now I decided to get my AP again. (Things have improved since the Americans took over ;) )

Take a break, it really doesn't hurt.

Last edited:

If going to Disney is all about parks and attractions for you, then, in many respects, Disneyland is superior to Disney World.

Parks aside, where I think Disney World beats Disneyland is in the immersive resort experience.

Agree. The parks and attractions are more important to me, so I prefer Disneyland over WDW anymore. In fact, about two months ago, we cancelled our planned WDW vacation for two weeks from now and rebooked it for DL. Amazingly cheap airfare to LAX (much cheaper than MCO) was a major influence.

I have only been to DL twice, the thing I noticed most. At DL I felt more in touch with Walt Disney special touches he made at DL. I still love going to WDW but I think things could be greatly improved. I think Disney company has some great improvements coming, but may be at least 5 years before you really see big improvements.I own at Old Key West , first DVC resort. So we visit 5 or 6 times a year for 4 day stays. Probably 10-12 day visits since we are only about 1 hour from WDW. So you need no flame suit to protect yourself from this Moderator. :) Danny

I do love Disney World. However, I totally understand what you are talking about. We went to DisneyLand once and really enjoyed it. Almost all of our favorite rides were there, and it is so easy just to walk back and forth from the parks. We definitely had a great time and were able to accomplish so much more in a shorter period of time. Hmmm...maybe another DL trip is in order!!

If you go by how many attractions are at each, disneyland is larger. Where WDW gets us to come down often is everything else, not only in WDW but the surrounding area. The orlando area is Theme Park land and there's a ton to see and do so when we have the time for a nice long vacation, WDW is almost always the destination. We actually find it hard to justify a west coast vacation and we've only been there once and it was awhile ago.

I also agree with many of your points. TBH, we're 99% sure that we are moving to the orlando area because we figured out it would just be cheaper to live there and vacation elsewhere than stay in this area. After the initial "we live here now" wears off and some of the construction around the world finishes up we plan to start doing an around the world disney tour but don't really see us frequenting most of them. Maybe shanghai, that park sounds amazing and I like how they had to approach it different for the culture there.

I have been been to disneyland several times and I have my first trip to WDW coming up in a few weeks here.

I love Disneyland so much its such a wonderful place we usually stay at the DLH and the whole experience is incredibly magical. To me what makes it magical is not just the park but being immersed in Disney for 3 straight days, hearing your favorite disney tunes well your relaxing by the pool or sitting in the elevator, having a wake up call from mickey mouse and having Goofy great you and your family at reception. Not to mention everything at the park is soooo well done, from the little details here and there to the stroller parking to the way they handle the lines.

I have such a great time in DL when we go that honestly I'm preparing for disappointment with WDW because I just don't know if it can compete especially after all the insane planning (We're a spur of the moment family so planning dinner reservations 6 months in advance is not cool LOL) and coming to the realization that we are going to be doing a lot of the same rides but will need to be busing from park to park to do them instead of walking. I have doubts that the magic can be replicated in WDW but maybe thats because I just can't imagine anything being more magical then a 3 Day stay at DL. But this is bigger, we are going for a whole week and I know we are not going to accomplish everything we want too.

As a third generation Californian who grew up with DL, I disagree with the immersion experience. It may hold true for visitors who are Caucasian but it is a different experience for those who are not. I am Japanese American and these immersive events took place on my trip last month:
~ while sitting in the lounge in the GF spa, a blond, Caucasian guest begins speaking to me and my CM friend in a cartoonish-Asian sing-song voice. When I replied, "We only speak English; it's just 'bye'," her response was, "Could have fooled me!"
~ in the DHS Starbucks, a CM points and gestures to me without speaking. Yes, I speak and comprehend English - all he had to do was begin speaking and I would have analyzed his oral structures and volitional tongue movements while assessing his speech and language skills because I am a speech pathologist.
~ in the Chase Lounge, a guest begins gesturing and pointing to me because she wanted to move ahead of me in line for the soft drinks. My first thought was that she was mute or was a recovered stroke victim. No, she just assumed I didn't speak English.

In the 50+ years that we've been visiting DL and then DCA, I've never felt such pervasive racism nor been subjected to racial profiling. DLR reflects the diversity that is California. WDW, to me, does not reflect diversity. You only have to compare parade performers in MK versus parade performers in DL to see how WDW lacks in diversity and it isn't due to a shortage of ethnic performers.

My family and I will still fly to Florida a couple of times a year to visit our CM friend but it isn't because of positive experiences in the parks. For a welcoming park experience, DLR is definitely our choice.

Last edited:
I want to check out DisneyLand some day .. but DisneyWorld did seem to stagnate for about 10 years (and it shows in DHS and Epcot).

That being said the Fantasyland change and the hub change are two great changes. While the HUB change isn't a new attraction, it does make that area a lot less congested and give better viewing for the night shows.

What the above poster said ... If you go to ANYTHING once a year or multiple times a year (and for LONG stays) .. it will feel old. I think Disney World's target audience is those "once in a lifetime" trips (or once every few years).

I went twice in the last year .. but since both were short trips nothing was stagnant and still didn't do everything I wanted.

So I think the key to the stagnation is don't go very often ..

The thing about these announcements of the new lands though? I think a lot of people (myself included) will put off their next Disney vacation until one or ALL of them are done. I wonder if WDW will see a drop in attendance next year .. or will the Frozen ride be enough to draw people in next year?

San Diego local here. I have been to DL only a few times, but you are right on about the ride concentration (DL>WDW) - and although there are theme parks/amusement parks with better rides, this is still DISNEY - more magical, cleaner, and just more detailed and smart. That goes for DL and WDW. It used to seem as if DL was more crowded, but I am not sure that's true anymore.

WDW - as so many have said, is more immersive - you can completely remove yourself from the outside world in a way that you can't at DL. And staying on-site at DL (unless you're at the Grand Californian, IMO) is not close to the same as staying in a WDW resort - to me, it seems like more of a day-trip destination than multiday. I have a tough time getting as excited for a DL trip, but that's just me - and I don't hit WDW nearly as often as I used to (and only for a few days when I do).

You only have to compare parade performers in MK versus parade performers in DL to see how WDW lacks in diversity and it isn't due to a shortage of ethnic performers.

First off, those are some horrible stories about the ignorance of some people. Far too many people go to stereotyping rather than accepting people as individuals.

Second, in terms of diversity, check out these two links:

California:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06000.html

Florida:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/12000.html

I don't know that it's so much that WDW isn't hiring racial or ethnic minorities as it is that there are more racial and ethnic minority applicants in California than Florida, given the demographics of each.

OP,

All of the things you say make perfect sense, and I agree. We never went to WDW until 2010, and when we went back the next year in 2011 we were surprised how much everything just felt the same. (not sure what we were expecting....) It WAS disappointing in a way.

What we learned is that it is up to us to make each trip different. We try new locations to eat each trip. We've stayed at new onsite resorts. We went to Sea World the first day of our 2012 visit. This year we did the water park option... that was a super fun new addition...

So yes, I agree. The parks hardly change from one year to the next. Heck they hardly change even in 5-10 year intervals. It's up to you to make it a unique experience each year.

Dan

I would agree. I think the biggest evidence of that is comparing the two new "areas" of each resort: Cars Land at DCA and New Fantasyland in MK. Cars Land just feels more complete to me (if that makes sense.) Though I prefer DL, I like that WDW gives me an excuse to go for an entire week. I love WDW for all of the dining options, Expedition Everest, their version of Tower of Terror, and Rock n Roller Coaster!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter