Disney World is a little "weird" right now

skater

<font color=blue>Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't
Just returned from a wonderful trip with my sister. The vibe is just different from past trips. Met many wonderful CM's, but also many grumpy ones. Spoke with several, and not a one had much positive to say about fp+ (though a couple had hope that it would get better). Two Cm's in particular were downright nasty - I think they're tired of grouchy guests (though it was still a little unsettling - even got my feelings a little hurt once).

I think the overall feeling was one of - we will survive this/things will get better/we just have to deal with this now. Admittedly, I don't think a new guest would have gotten this vibe. I probably know too much, and therefore picked up on more than the average person. I also know what questions to ask ;), and spent time talking with cms and guests. But I miss the days of cm's simply making magic instead of trying to deal with so many extra problems.

One couple was upset because one magic band didn't work. They were told that these bands were their tickets, so husband didn't bring his ticket. They got to the Epcot gate and had to purchase a second ticket so husband could get in. Another woman was so disgusted with magic band glitches that she was yelling and cursing at cms. Its just a weird atmosphere, and I felt that some cm's are just in survival mode. Survival mode is not super conducive to making magic.

Despite all this, I really did have a wonderful time. I like the MB technology, and I enjoyed having fp's ready for me on my first afternoon. Its the limitations that are hard for me. And I won't say there was no magic. I just had the feeling that the cm's had to work harder to give it.

We will be in the World in three weeks. I am hoping against hope that things are better by then...:confused3
Glad you still had a great time! I can't imagine it's easy to work 8 or more hours trying to make magic when thinks are so unsettled.

Yes, I did have some strange run in's with CMs early to mid February. I have to say we LOVED the magic bands and the one issue I had was resolved very quickly. I am not sold on FP+ yet, but I didn't find it as bad as expected. I think once they work some glitches out and figure out how to make it work with park hopping, we will enjoy it more. I was horrified at the FP+ lines at the kiosks later in the day and felt bad for off-site guests (and on-site guests who don't obsessively plan ahead).
The one really strange thing I had run into, I was in line at Thunder Mountain by myself - my fiance doesn't like it so he was waiting outside. When I said one person, a CM told me to go left instead of right with the normal flow of traffic. The next CM that was then supposed to take me, but didn't want a thing to do with me and told the first CM that he didn't need me. So the one kept telling me to go with the other one, but the second one was ignoring me and letting everyone else go. So the first CM finally turned around and said to me "I don't know why he is ignoring you", and told me to continue to the left and which point the second CM finally let me go.
I took a shower that morning and use deodorant - have no idea why I was so offensive or if those two were annoyed with each other and I got somehow stuck in the middle of it. It was very bizarre and very un-Disney like to say the least - I felt like a complete freak. I would have ridden the ride again after that, but didn't want to deal with the CM's. It was the strangest feeling I have ever had at WDW. Weird.

Thanks for the information. Based on the reports from folks I have seen lately, there is certainly a negative vibe going around. We go in September and I am anxious to see for myself what the state of things are now.

Another woman was so disgusted with magic band glitches that she was yelling and cursing at cms. Its just a weird atmosphere, and I felt that some cm's are just in survival mode. Survival mode is not super conducive to making magic.

. And I won't say there was no magic. I just had the feeling that the cm's had to work harder to give it.

Thanks for the report. I will try to make it a point to be more patient and understanding of CMs during our Sept trip. :goodvibes (at the same time, hoping maybe things will have settled down some by then.)

Glad you had a wonderful trip despite all this! :thumbsup2

I agree with you. We are leaving today and while I didn't see anyone giving cms a hard time, but the cm attitudes are very different specially at Epcot and MK.

I was in Disney World in very late January and I have come to the conclusion that I'm not going to get park hopper tickets anymore because you can only use fasts pass+ at one park a day. So why hop just to stand in long lines at the next park with no fast passes.

One couple was upset because one magic band didn't work. They were told that these bands were their tickets, so husband didn't bring his ticket. They got to the Epcot gate and had to purchase a second ticket so husband could get in.

If this happened to me I would be extremely upset. Especially if you didn't have your regular ticket with you. Not everyone could have resolved it by buying another ticket as some people do go on a very tight budget. It is good to know, when I do go back I will be keeping paper tickets in my wallet!

I had a good friend who goes yearly during December and she told me the overall vibe was very different. Lots of guests who seemed stressed and confused, not as many Christmas decorations, grumpier cm's. It makes me sad. I really hope they get these things worked out.

Whether you are a repeat guest or first time guests, there is a lot of expectation (sometimes unrealistic, but often built on the reputation and advertising Disney has/does) and money spent on a Disney vacation. It shouldn't be expected to be perfect but you shouldn't have a negative vibe and interactions with cast members happening to the extent I am reading about.

I am so glad we rescheduled our trip from June to October. More time for these issues to be worked out and less crowds to deal with.

But wait....... I thought it was just the people on the DIS who were all negative right now? Was there a DIS convention I didn't know about? ;)

OP, I'm glad you managed to still have a great time. :)

I was in Disney World in very late January and I have come to the conclusion that I'm not going to get park hopper tickets anymore because you can only use fasts pass+ at one park a day. So why hop just to stand in long lines at the next park with no fast passes.

Now...I won't go without a hopper now BECAUSE of Fast Pass plus. Go to one park at rope drop....rest and then hit the Fast Pass park in the afternoon...makes perfect sense. :confused3

We were there in December and didn't notice any negative vibe. We honestly really liked the Magic Bands and the Fast Pass Plus. We are going back in a week...we will see what happens then.

I am so glad we rescheduled our trip from June to October. More time for these issues to be worked out and less crowds to deal with.

I'd say a very smart move on your part!

I think anytime you are implementing a new system there is an adjusting period. Sometimes it is a short, smooth one. Sometimes it takes a bit longer. In my industry this happens often.
Sometimes plans that the "Big Wigs" think looks great on paper, is not do great when the employees on the ground have to implement it.

Hopefully, most will be patient and understanding and realize that the employees are the ones on the front lines taking the brunt of the criticism. They're also making very little while dealing with all of this. I'm sure that it is very hard for them to feel the magic themselves. When you don't feel it, it's hard to show it :(

Just returned from a wonderful trip with my sister. The vibe is just different from past trips. Met many wonderful CM's, but also many grumpy ones. Spoke with several, and not a one had much positive to say about fp+ (though a couple had hope that it would get better). Two Cm's in particular were downright nasty - I think they're tired of grouchy guests (though it was still a little unsettling - even got my feelings a little hurt once).

I think the overall feeling was one of - we will survive this/things will get better/we just have to deal with this now. Admittedly, I don't think a new guest would have gotten this vibe. I probably know too much, and therefore picked up on more than the average person. I also know what questions to ask ;), and spent time talking with cms and guests. But I miss the days of cm's simply making magic instead of trying to deal with so many extra problems.

One couple was upset because one magic band didn't work. They were told that these bands were their tickets, so husband didn't bring his ticket. They got to the Epcot gate and had to purchase a second ticket so husband could get in. Another woman was so disgusted with magic band glitches that she was yelling and cursing at cms. Its just a weird atmosphere, and I felt that some cm's are just in survival mode. Survival mode is not super conducive to making magic.

Despite all this, I really did have a wonderful time. I like the MB technology, and I enjoyed having fp's ready for me on my first afternoon. Its the limitations that are hard for me. And I won't say there was no magic. I just had the feeling that the cm's had to work harder to give it.

@skater

I hope you don't mind me asking but how did the one nasty CM "hurt your feelings". Just wondering what they did/said. If it's really bad these types of things need to be reported.

I just don't get it. I'm sorry--I feel sorry and bad for the CMs right now. Sounds to me like there are a lot of stupid people who don't educate themselves on going to Disney before they go and that's why they have a bad time.

1. MagicBands this has been all over the place forever on how this is Disney's new ticket, resort and everything ---if the husband mentioned above forgot it then that's his problem. I'm tired of all the negative comments. People posting on how their kids won't wear them. Give me a break...you want to go on vacation? This is the deal;

2. New Tech people. There are going to be some bugs. While this is being handled get a Key to Magic Card to use as back up--yes you can still ask for them.

3. What is up with the Fast Pass Constant Negative comments. The vibe I'm getting is that people are going and expecting to just walk right on whenever they want and ride. This has never been the case even with FP. Furthermore, so what if you only get 3? The old way you could only be issued one at a time and then you had to use it until you could be issued another. By the time that happened, FP were usually so late or gone that you didn't get a chance to utilize it. Oh and let's think about how many other theme parks even give us a chance to get on three popular rides with minimal waiting without charging us a ton of money to do so.

In my opinion people need to practice more patience and do their homework before going. Check all your reservations on everything prior to leaving, printout your fast pass options prior to going in case something isn't working. Ask for the old Key To The World Cards as back up. If you do have a problem or encounter a glitch be kind to the CMs as this is new to them as well.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just fed up with the mentality. People generally don't always work well with change at first. But eventually, things get worked out and we realize the benefits.

For example, how awesome is it that we no longer have to cut out an hour and half of time to get a good spot for a parade? FP that!

We were just there this week and I even commented to my husband on our last day it seemed like some of the magic was gone so it's timely that I see this thread. I didn't witness any grumpiness or nastiness by CMs or guests, but I definitely agree that the overall vibe was not like I remember it from my past visits. WDW always seemed like such a well-oiled machine and everything was always so effortless. This trip you could see the cracks in the curtain.

Having said that, I did love the magic Bands. I was skeptical about them, but after using them, I found it so easy. I didn't use FP+, but we never used the old system either.

The thing I noticed the most was just overall park cleanliness. It was messy, something I've never seen before. I didn't see a single person cleaning in the restrooms and I used to always see someone wiping down counters. I saw a lot of trash along the paths and didn't see many CMs with grabbers. I was constantly looking for a trash can and I got annoyed with how long I was hanging on to a dirty tissue. I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour once, so I know the story about Walt and trash cans! Where did they all go?

Anyway, we did have a wonderful vacation and I was sad to go. I'm sorry I just totally tl;dr! I just saw the comments about the "vibe" and it really struck me.

Last edited:
I just don't get it. I'm sorry--I feel sorry and bad for the CMs right now. Sounds to me like there are a lot of stupid people who don't educate themselves on going to Disney before they go and that's why they have a bad time.

1. MagicBands this has been all over the place forever on how this is Disney's new ticket, resort and everything ---if the husband mentioned above forgot it then that's his problem. I'm tired of all the negative comments. People posting on how their kids won't wear them. Give me a break...you want to go on vacation? This is the deal;

Actually the way I read it he had his magic band but it didn't work. The point of the band is so you don't have to have tickets money etc with you.

2. New Tech people. There are going to be some bugs. While this is being handled get a Key to Magic Card to use as back up--yes you can still ask for them.

3. What is up with the Fast Pass Constant Negative comments. The vibe I'm getting is that people are going and expecting to just walk right on whenever they want and ride. This has never been the case even with FP. Furthermore, so what if you only get 3? The old way you could only be issued one at a time and then you had to use it until you could be issued another. By the time that happened, FP were usually so late or gone that you didn't get a chance to utilize it. Oh and let's think about how many other theme parks even give us a chance to get on three popular rides with minimal waiting without charging us a ton of money to do so.

I'm not surprised you loved FP+. Because it sounds like you did not use legacy FP much. Or you would know that it was indeed possible to use far more than 3 in a given day, and in fact hold more than 1 at once, even after they started enforcing return times. Some Fps were disconnected from the system (Dumbo and Mickey M & G for example.) And you could always pull another FP after 2 hours, or when the window opened on your last FP, whichever came first.

Actually the way I read it he had his magic band but it didn't work. The point of the band is so you don't have to have tickets money etc with you.

::yes::

I just don't get it. I'm sorry--I feel sorry and bad for the CMs right now. Sounds to me like there are a lot of stupid people who don't educate themselves on going to Disney before they go

I was going to break down your post but then I just concentrated on the bolded part and realized you don't know that much about how things worked at Disney. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter