Disney World for the VERY tall

boxwoman

Earning My Ears
Hello!

Our family is considering a WDW vacation but before I start making plans I want to find out what kind of experience my teenage son might have. He's 7 feet tall (yup - and probably more like 7'1" with his shoes on) and we're concerned he really won't be able to fit comfortably on many of the rides.

Does anyone (or anyone who has a friend or loved one) of extreme height have any experience or insight? Also, are there any resorts that trend a little larger in terms of rooms, beds, showers, etc? Does Disney make any special accommodations? He's used to being cramped but I want to make sure it won't be so bad that it makes the trip not worth it for the week plus that we're there.

Thank you! :)

Wow, that is tall!

Honestly, he may be uncomfortable on certain rides - Expedition Everest and Big Thunder Mountain for example don't have a lot of leg room. I hurt my knees on both, due to my disproportionately long legs. And I'm 5'10".

Things that may make it easier would be aiming for a king bed room rather than two queens. I suspect the showers will be the same anywhere in WDW, but the Deluxes have the most room generally.

For what it's worth, I still think it will be worth it for him.

I have read Space Mountain is tight for leg room in the front of the car.

I think its mostly going to be a leg room issue not a banging his head on something issue. :thumbsup2

Wow, that is tall!

Honestly, he may be uncomfortable on certain rides - Expedition Everest and Big Thunder Mountain for example don't have a lot of leg room. I hurt my knees on both, due to my disproportionately long legs. And I'm 5'10".

Things that may make it easier would be aiming for a king bed room rather than two queens. I suspect the showers will be the same anywhere in WDW, but the Deluxes have the most room generally.

For what it's worth, I still think it will be worth it for him.

For simple room size, Old Key West is pretty hard to beat.

As soon as I read the title, I though of Sum of All Thrills. Anything with a shoulder restraint might be difficult as well. Some of the ride vehicles have very tight leg room, too. Allears.net has a photogallery of ride vehicles that you can look at- here's a link: http://allears.net/tp/gal_ride.htm

The disAbilities board also has info on ride vehicles and which ones can present difficulties for some folks.

I agree with the other posters- the deluxe rooms are larger than the mods or values. But the bed sizes are the same: 2 queen beds or 1 king. (double beds at the values)

All of the bathrooms have the standard tub/shower combo except for some of the handicapped rooms which have a wheelchair accessible roll in shower.

My son is 6'6" and rides everything except Space Mountain. He's done it, but doesn't like it. It's probably psychological-- he just feels like his head will bump something, so it's not fun for him. He's never had difficulty on any other attractions

She is 6'7" with a 40 inch inseam without shoes. Space mountain is the only ride tht is extremely uncomfortable for him. Most o the roller coasters have a test car he can try you may have to ask though. Mission space is another one he found tight but not too bad.
I would not do a value - full size beds

Leg length has a lot to do with it too, not just mere height. I'm only 5'9" and my husband is 6'6" and we both have issues on almost all of the bench rides (boats.) We have to sit sideways on all of them, so we try to avoid ones that will put others with you in the same row (most of them don't do this, but there are only two of us, so it works that we only have two in our row.) If you have a group of 4 or more, you might explain/ask for 2 rows because he WILL need to turn sideways to sit. There are also a few that have more room in the front row (such as Living With the Land and It's a Small World) so we usually ask if it would be ok for us to sit in the front row for that reason. Most CMs will gladly oblige, and we understand that it means we might need to let others go first and wait for the next boat :thumbsup2 My husband also has trouble with Space Mountain or any other ride which brings a lap bar over your knees (Winnie the Pooh and Splash Mountain were TIGHT squeezes too.)

ETA: I thought of one more. If you go to Disney Quest he won't be able to do the make your own roller coaster thing (I forget the name.) My husband was SO disappointed after we stood in line for 45 minutes, took 15 minutes to make the coaster, and then waited another 10 minutes to get into the "tube" only to find out that he was too tall, didn't fit, and we had to skip it :(

I am short at about 5'2" so I certainly cannot speak from experience but 2 rides in particular come to mind as far as leg room: Space Mountain and Astro Orbiter. Disney is generally good about accomodating all shapes and sizes but those two rides would probably be quite cramped for your son.

Welcome to the dis, BW.

A good site to review. Make sure to check links in left margin also.

http://allears.net/tp/ridsiz.htm

6'6" here. Very few problems seating. As said, a few are better with knees sideways. And on Rock n Roller Coaster, the odd numbered rows are a LOT better than the even numbered.

Something no one else mentioned (I guess I am a freak :rolleyes2) but the new lap bars on splash give me a huge problem. I think my shins are too long or something but if I pull the bar down by the end of the ride my feet are numb from the angle I have to keep my legs at. So honestly I just pretend to pull it down. It is just a bs thing anyway (since the ride hasnt changed and it never had them before). I dont plan on climbing out of the boat so it shouldn't matter.

Leg length has a lot to do with it too, not just mere height. I'm only 5'9" and my husband is 6'6" and we both have issues on almost all of the bench rides (boats.) We have to sit sideways on all of them, so we try to avoid ones that will put others with you in the same row (most of them don't do this, but there are only two of us, so it works that we only have two in our row.) If you have a group of 4 or more, you might explain/ask for 2 rows because he WILL need to turn sideways to sit. There are also a few that have more room in the front row (such as Living With the Land and It's a Small World) so we usually ask if it would be ok for us to sit in the front row for that reason. Most CMs will gladly oblige, and we understand that it means we might need to let others go first and wait for the next boat :thumbsup2 My husband also has trouble with Space Mountain or any other ride which brings a lap bar over your knees (Winnie the Pooh and Splash Mountain were TIGHT squeezes too.)

Agreed!! It's hard to ride now :(

I'm just at 6ft. and I found Test Track to be annoying not even so much because of the leg room, but because of my huge feet! I couldn't find anywhere to put them when I was sitting with two other people in my row. They ended up jammed into a corner - ouch.

I am 6'8", with a 38" inseam. I was able to ride all the rides. Some are less comfortable than others, for sure. I ride Space Mtn, but I lean forward over the seat in front of me. I highly doubt there's even an issue there, but psychologically, it makes me feel better, and I love that ride. Sometimes I have to cross my legs underneath myself to make more room, if that makes sense. It folds those long shin bones out of the way, especially for those uncomfortable lap bars. Splash was ok in the back of the log... Thunder and Everest were tight but alright. However, I would say that I was about at the extreme end of fitting in those rides, but with my legs as long as they are, I think he would be ok. I agree with the PP about Astro. Those ships are very narrow and shallow, and don't have a lot of wiggle room to maneuver your legs out of the way. I managed it on my honeymoon in 2010, but remember that was the tightest fit I've had. As far as rooms go, I can't stretch out on much that isn't a Cali king, but if he sleeps at an angle, a queen should about do. Personally, I'd curl up on a twin just to get to be in WDW... :D I hope y'all have an amazing, magical trip. I know it has been fantastic for my wife and me!

My husband is 6'6. His absolute requirement for hotel rooms is a King sized bed, but he much prefers something like a suite or villa. He won't touch anything under 400 square feet, and even 400 is his bare minimum. We stay off property.

Hubby's biggest issue is legroom. There were several bench rides, Living with the Seas, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc that were a bit tight, but as others said, either turning the legs sideways or opening them and totally stretching them out to fill the car, may work. There have been several occasions where a Cast Member has already noted the height problem, and figure out the best place to put us. Often, he gets a whole row to himself, if possible.

Our biggest problems with rides:
Teacups- he has to keep his legs open fairly wide, but it's a very tight fit if he rides with me and my son (we are sized like 2 children). I suspect as my son gets a little older/bigger, this ride will be out.

Tomorrowland Speedway- he tried once. never again.

Space Mountain- I believe we had to ride the front car, as the back didn't have enough room. Though, I may have this backward.

Splash Mountain- The lapbar was rough. I don't think he'll try this one again.

Hope your family has a great time!

6'7 here and I must say that Space Mountain is the most uncomfortable for me. Splash does not have great leg room either, but I put my legs sideways and use up some of my 5'2 wife's leg room (she does not need it anyway)!:rotfl:

awdwnut

My DH is only 6'6". Like PPs, he uses up a lot of my leg room on rides, which I don't mind (I'm 5'4" so I don't need it either!). He refuses to ride Space Mountain because of the feeling that his head is going to bump something, even though I'm sure it's perfectly safe. We normally stay at WL and the queens there are fine for him, but then we're used to squeezing into a double at home, so his legs always stick out a bit.

My son is 6'6" and rides everything except Space Mountain. He's done it, but doesn't like it. It's probably psychological-- he just feels like his head will bump something, so it's not fun for him. He's never had difficulty on any other attractions
My dad is 6'5" and is fairly comfy on everything but won't do Space either. Heck, I'm 5'10-5'11" and Space has little leg room for me!! I'd steer clear of Astro and beware of when your ghost host lowers the seating bar for you on Haunted Mansion... If I'm not paying close enough attention it comes smashing into my legs. :scared:

OP, as far as rooms are concerned, I'd consider renting DVC points and getting a one or two bedroom villa. Extra pricey but extra spacey and comfy. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter