Disney World Buries Its Controversial $149 After Hours Experiment

I do remember reading (when it was announced) that it wouldn't be offered during peak times. I guess that would mean we won't see it in the summer or through the holidays. I can't remember where I read that, but it was not an official statement from Disney so who knows.
I agree that it wasn't really advertised but maybe that is because they wanted to see just how many people who already had their tickets would be interested in paying more for the event like alot do for the parties. I hope they continue it, and a price reduction would be nice especially for those who are already spending the day in the park. They really shouldn't have to pay another $150 (or whatever full price would be) for a few more hours.

Not offer it during peak times? That sounds counter intuitive. I get that people expect long park hours during peak season and there would be a backlash against closing the park early some nights during those times, but I would think that if people were going to pay $149 for low crowds, they would do it during peak season. That's when the value of a low-crowd park would really be felt. Why pay that much when crowds are lower anyway?

Maybe once or twice a week during summer and Christmas season they could close the park at 9 or 10 pm and have the after hours event then.

With all due respect your statement is just insulting here to be quite honest. You will always find people who cannot afford something but that's all relative based on so many factors. I could afford the $150 but never would have on principle. It just was too high for me. Sure to some they literally could not spend the $150 per person to attend in their budget but it's..I don't even know the right word to say here..to say those who were not in favor of the event just couldn't afford it. Besides I saw multiple comments from people who got in either for free or for the $75 who stated they wouldn't have paid $150 for it as it was too high for them.

This is something I don't understand. If you think there's value in a one-day ($105) ticket in the October where the park is open 9-8 (11 hours) and water cost 3 bucks and ice cream about the same, when you get three or four FPs -- but even then there's a bit of a wait and the rest of the time you're fighting lines and crowds, then why is the value so far off for an event that cost $149, you get eight hours, free water and ice cream and for the last three hours virtually everything you want to do is a walk-on? A good touring plan and using one set of magic bands gets most people about a ride an hour on average. This easily doubles that if not triples it during the last three hours. And you can still get FPs for the time before the park empties.

And even on the nights where the park is open 9-10, that's 13 crowded hours. But most people don't go from rope drop to kiss goodnight -- I would imagine most people hover around 6-8 hours in the park anyway. So why is the extra 40 bucks for free ice cream and drinks such an giant leap in terms of value?

I'm not trying to start an argument, but some have been so vehement about the cost being excessive, but once you break down the experience versus the cost, it's not seemed so out of control to me.

Last edited:
Not offer it during peak times? That sounds counter intuitive. I get that people expect long park hours during peak season and there would be a backlash against closing the park early some nights during those times, but I would think that if people were going to pay $149 for low crowds, they would do it during peak season. That's when the value of a low-crowd park would really be felt. Why pay that much when crowds are lower anyway?

Maybe once or twice a week during summer and Christmas season they could close the park at 9 or 10 pm and have the after hours event then.

No one will agree, but I think they are being nice. DAH was the perfect event for the summer, and Disney decided (or will decide) to just extend basic hours instead.

2017 might see this kind of change, but rushing it into place this year would have felt like too much of a money grab and the backlash would have been too severe, I think, so if they are going to do it, they're going to advertise it a lot more for next year and go forward.

ETA: It still shows up on the special events page -- they say nothing is scheduled, but check back as future events get closer. I don't know if that means anything, but if it were buried, I think they'd just take it off the page.

Last edited:

The bolded would run directly counter to Disney's new dynamic pricing model. Once Disney decides that a day in July is a "peak" day, it can hardly charge more money for admission on that day and then close the park early just to re-sell hours that people already paid for.

I don't understand the whole "research" or "experiment" assertions. There was always a small built-in window for this event just like many other limited time events like the villain party. They can't do it during peak season when higher prices come with the expectation of maximum included hours. And they can't do it from September through New Years when there are already hard ticket events planned. So this leaves January through May. It wasn't "research". No major company conducts research in this manner. It was a new event that simply did not go over well. Just like Epcot After Hours. No one ever said that that was an experiment. It was simply an idea that failed largely due to price in relation to value. It ended because it failed. It didn't end because the research period closed. As for DAH, we will not know if this is dead until after New Years. But it is silly to think that it ended because the experiment phase concluded. It ended because it is incompatible with peak season. But has it "ended" ended? We don't know.

This is something I don't understand. If you think there's value in a one-day ($105) ticket in the October where the park is open 9-8 (11 hours) and water cost 3 bucks and ice cream about the same, when you get three or four FPs -- but even then there's a bit of a wait and the rest of the time you're fighting lines and crowds, then why is the value so far off for an event that cost $149, you get eight hours, free water and ice cream and for the last three hours virtually everything you want to do is a walk-on? A good touring plan and using one set of magic bands gets most people about a ride an hour on average. This easily doubles that if not triples it during the last three hours. And you can still get FPs for the time before the park empties.

And even on the nights where the park is open 9-10, that's 13 crowded hours. But most people don't go from rope drop to kiss goodnight -- I would imagine most people hover around 6-8 hours in the park anyway. So why is the extra 40 bucks for free ice cream and drinks such an giant leap in terms of value?

I'm not trying to start an argument, but some have been so vehement about the cost being excessive, but once you break down the experience versus the cost, it's not seemed so out of control to me.

B/c most folks don't pay $105/day...the average ticket buyer probably buys between a 5-7 day pass...and those passes cost between $52-$68/day. So, to them, the cost is between $80-$100 more for ice cream, soda and fewer hours (and the possibility of being on the hook for a rain out, b/c the ticket is non-refundable)...

And most people see patterns, even if Disney doesn't intend them. Folks see that Disney is willing to have the park open, just not for them on their already purchased multi-hundreds ticket b/c they already paid Disney. That stings, especially when they DID wait in line during the day, sometimes for longer periods b/c Disney didn't full staff the park or provide full capacity - almost like they were trying to force people who wanted a good time on a park day to pony up more money for lines and waits Disney partly caused themselves. Doesn't matter if this is true or not, b/c as they say in the military, perception IS reality and if people perceive it, even if it's not true, you're gonna get in trouble.

I hope it comes back in the fall. Dh and I arrive pretty late, if they have this on that night we would definitely do it. I have no problem paying for it, and I'm definitely not affluent. We just budget for special things on vacation, for some its a $200 dinner for others $300 for an almost empty park is more their style.
While the author makes some good points, its really just speculation at this point and he comes across as kind of bitter.
I highly doubt that it will be back in the fall. Too many hard ticket events are already scheduled for those months - NOJ, MNSSHP and MVMCP.

I bet it's back in late July-August, and then back again in April-May.

But that might be because I'm planning on being there in late July.

I don't think it's the failure it's perceived as -- I think they were figuring logistics, and based on the nearly universal rave reviews, it'll come back with maybe a lower price point, but certainly with more publicity.

I bet it's back in late July-August, and then back again in April-May.

But that might be because I'm planning on being there in late July.

I don't think it's the failure it's perceived as -- I think they were figuring logistics, and based on the nearly universal rave reviews, it'll come back with maybe a lower price point, but certainly with more publicity.

I'll take that bet.

Although I wouldn't be surprised at all to see more dates added for the morning event.

I wasn't particularly fond of the event in its current iteration and there are two things that would add value to me.
1. Popcorn instead of Mickey Bars. I can't have unlimited sugar and would still like something to snack on.
2. MOST Important to sway me away if this were offered during one of our trips, UTTER LACK OF CHARACTERS!

If we did this, we would use it similar to how you mentioned, to replace a park day. Maybe an evening before/after a cruise. I would NOT enjoy a day at Magic Kingdom with the opportunity to meet ONLY Mickey Mouse and 4 princesses. If they added some sort of Characterpalooza type thing to it during the extra hours, that is something our family would REALLY enjoy and be willing to pay a premium for. I am aware that we could do meet and greets between 4 and 10, but then it doesn't quite feel right to us. We mix our meet and greets and rides throughout the day. I don't like to meet, meet, meet or ride, ride, ride.

At the end of the day, I think our young family is not the target market for this event, but we would probably be open to it and enjoy it if there was a little more offered.

With all due respect though, a lower price point, means that a team in Marketing did fail on epic proportions. Pricing is a big part of running a business - don't you remember playing lemonade tycoon. You could try to charge $5 a cup, but then no one wanted your lemonade anymore and you FAILED to make a profit.

Overall, I agree that the idea is not a bad one, but I do think they failed at executing it. The price point was much too high and there weren't sufficient tickets sold.

Your stance is nothing new as many have stated their "value" in the experience. Value is something that is completely dependent on the person. I have never, in any of the threads, told someone how can you see value in spending that kind of money for that kind of experience. That's simply because value varies. The only thing I was concerned about and vocalized was Disney taking away things to make room for these types of events (both early morning magic and disney after hours).

You see the value in the $150 and I see no problem in that at all. I don't want to spend $150 for the experience and there's no problem in that either. My original response to the other poster was in regards to assuming that just because I'm against the price means I can't afford it.

Ah, another angry opinion piece from someone who couldn't afford to attend. It's funny. The whole thing is speculative. Disney never revealed the capacity for this event, so no outsider (like the author) will never really know if this worked for Disney or not. We don't know why Disney created it (was it to explore what the market would bear, how to price MNSSHP, MVMCP, dip into the Orlando convention crowd?) No one really knows. What we do know from these boards is that the vast majority of those who went really enjoyed it and many people simply got angry because they couldn't afford to go. BTW, article author, ESPN is what is mostly influencing DIS stock price right now, not the parks.

How do you know the reason they were angry is because they couldn't "afford to go"? Maybe some where angry because they didnt' like the money grab by Disney.

I hope this is a failure, the money grab has to stop at some point, its going to hurt the parks in the long run.

People were willing to pay.

Just not enough of them.

Sure someone was, someone is always going to pay for something. However, Disney did give A LOT of tickets to these events away for free because not nearly enough people were paying for it.

I really believe it failed because Disney, when it comes to WDW, has lost the faith of their customers. We, at this point in time, expect to be shafted, short changed, and/or disappointed before we even experience any of their new offerings. Now I know not everyone shares this view, but the number one comment I heard after the announcement was 'but will it really be limited?' Everyone expected it to be as crowded as they let the Halloween and Christmas parties get. Disney has tainted their image when it comes to putting the customer first, and now the backlash is that they have to prove their claims. If they had put a firm public count on the number of tickets being sold I'm positive it would have done better.

I think a public count coupled with ACTUALLY advertising it - with real examples of how it could work for someone (hello DCL!) - they would have been selling out without any trouble.

I don't expect Disney to let this go entirely. Others have been successful charging premium prices for enhanced ride access, albeit in a different form. Universal's Unlimited Express pass starts at $75 for US and $55 for IOA, and can rise as high as $140 for one park, one day. And that doesn't include the base park admission.

Cedar Point has a similar offering which starts at $80 and rises to over $100 per person.

Admittedly neither of these is an exact match to Disney After Hours. Certainly not in terms of time in the park. But similar to Universal Express / CP Fast Lane, Disney After Hours would allow guests to ride the Mine Train or Space Mountain over and over again within those 3 hours...along with dozens of other rides.

I don't think Disney did a very good job of advertising Disney After Hours. IMO, the audience who follows the Parks Blog and insider websites (die-hards, locals, DVC members) is more apt to have Annual Passes or long multi-day tickets which negate the value of DAH.

Even if Disney doesn't bring back Disney After Hours in the same format, I doubt this is the end of them trying to monetize park / attraction access for guests who are willing to pay a higher price.

How do you know the reason they were angry is because they couldn't "afford to go"? Maybe some where angry because they didnt' like the money grab by Disney.

I hope this is a failure, the money grab has to stop at some point, its going to hurt the parks in the long run.

They have no idea whatsoever...

They just made it up to defend the shield.

How original.

I think a public count coupled with ACTUALLY advertising it - with real examples of how it could work for someone (hello DCL!) - they would have been selling out without any trouble.

I don't get your logic hear...
DCL is one of the most overpriced entertainment things out there. For every loyal customer they create...they seem to drive one to RCL moslty based on cost.

That's how it seems. For every "Disney is great" there is on cruise critic..you see a "what am I paying for?"

That's just a take away:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter