• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney World books for kids (6 yrs)

calster21

Mouseketeer
I'm looking for a book for my 6 yr old DS for our upcoming trip to WDW.

We've been there before, but I'd like for him to learn more about it and the rides there....yeah I know I'm taking the fun out of it and we could just spend the whole day on wikipedia, but thought it would be good to have some kind of kid friendly guide that he could take with him on the trip.

I've heard mixed reviews about 'Birnbaum's Walt Disney World for Kids', and was wondering if there was anything else out there.

I'm thinking about Walt Disney World Guide to the Magic for Kids.

They have their own website where I *think* they have the brand new edition, at amazon I think they have the older version still.

i've heard good things about this book but haven't seen it myself. I'm pretty sure it is too big to actually carry it around in the parks, unless you are taking a pack mule. It does have a nice section for autographs and collecting passport stamps in Epcot but I don't think I'd want to haul it with me.

My kids have the Birnbaum one. They both actually have a copy. They like that it has colorful pictures and places for them to write in. I think I paid around 12.00-13.00 at Borders and Barnes and Noble both. (Wouldn't you know that the first place I went only had one in stock. :furious: )

I highly, highly recommend the Birnbaums Guide for Kids, especially for a six year old. It introduces them to the attractions and events very nicely and has great pictures and trivia as well.

Our DD (now 8) has been getting them each year since she was 3 and she still enjoys getting a new one each year to see what has changed.

i took my daughter(8) to the book store and let her pick the one she thought would be the most helpful. she picked the regular birnbaums. she loves it, shes read it cover to cover a couple times. i think getting him a book is a wonderful idea, it doenst take the fun out of it at all. instead it lets him feel that he has a say in the trip as well. i ahve my daughter go through the book and write down things she really wants to do, not everything but just a couple things that are important. even things like specialty snacks and restaurants she thinks she would like. then i always incorporate what she wants into the plans.

I'm thinking about Walt Disney World Guide to the Magic for Kids.

They have their own website where I *think* they have the brand new edition, at amazon I think they have the older version still.

i've heard good things about this book but haven't seen it myself. I'm pretty sure it is too big to actually carry it around in the parks, unless you are taking a pack mule. It does have a nice section for autographs and collecting passport stamps in Epcot but I don't think I'd want to haul it with me.

The "Guide to the Magic" measures 8" x 11" and is about as thick as an autograph book. The book isn't small, but it isn't too big, either. It isn't cheap; it costs around $30.

Here's the web-site: www.guidetothemagic.com/ :goodvibes

We have always liked the Birnbaum's Guide for Kids - by Kids!
My boys like the bright pictures, and also the warnings that go with each ride (fast, dark, scary). Makes it easy for them to decide what to do and what not to do - although we have been there tons, and they know both the parks and the book by heart!
We always get our books at Amazon.com - you save a few bucks, and free shipping on orders over $25.00! Stuff is sent really quickly, also!

I can't say enough good things about the Guide to the Magic. All three of my boys have read (older two) or looked at it (youngest) from cover to cover. For a good two months they went through it every day.

They did not, however, like the Birnbaum's Disney for Kids. Both the 9 yr old and 6 yr old told me it was made for very little kids (I think they meant the layout design)

When i asked if there were any books thy wanted to bring t oread in Florida, the first thing listed was GTTM for Kids

I agree.. dd (6.5) barely glanced at the Birnbaum's Kid's book...but she pours over the Guide to the Magic for Kids. I would classify the Birnbaum book as a pamphlet in comparison to the GTTMFK.

The guide looks at every ride and attraction, has a small write up, a sticker to placed, and a space for the child to write a short review. There are things to look for, a list of all the monorail colors (and a spot to check off if you've ridden them or just saw them), space in the World Showcase section to not only collect autographs and stamps...but also to draw the map of each country (dd did that before we left), and a double spread journal page for up to 14 days w/ great writing prompts to keep track of where and what everyone did as well as what they ate, bought and rode!

I highly recommend this book...and I definitely wouldn't bother w/ the Birnbaum's book at all!

We always buy the latest copy of Birnbaums for kids. They love the colorful photos, it's a very kid appealing guide.
For Christmas we got our dd the Guide to the Magic for kids....she LOVES it! It's definitely not a book i'd want to carry around in the parks, it's a bit big. But she's planning on taking it and leaving it in the room and writing in it each night.

My DD10 has Birnbaums book for kids and although she enjoys looking through it, I would say it's too young for her. She got it when she was 8 and it wasn't a big help for her planning, but she does browse it on occasion as more of a walk down memory lane for our last 2 trips.

Thanks for starting this thread because I wasn't aware of Guide to the Magic and after checking out the website, ordered it right away. I know my daughter will LOVE it, and I can already tell it's much more appropriate for her age. In the past I've made her a journal for each trip to record her memories (which she enjoys) but this will probably be much nicer.

Thanks again for posting! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info about the Guide to the Magic for Kids. It looks perfect for us! I love how there is so much for my DS to do in it too. Hopefully it will make the wait for parades more bearable!

Thanks to everyone for their responese....wonderful information.

I have seen Guide to the Magic on Amazon and there are a few options. You can get the larger guidebook which is around $30, or there is a smaller guide for $13 and a seperate journal for another $13.

Just hearing that the larger guidebook is quite large and may be tough to carry and am thinking that the smaller journal may be easier to carry around, however I don't want to lose some of the 'magic' by going to the smaller journal.

Does anyone recommend just the journal?

Now, I have to figure out what to give my 3 year old!

Another vote for Birnbaum's for kids. My children love the book, they have been reading and writing in it for a while now. I paid about $10 for in from Amazon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter