Disney World before or after the cruise?

We have done both WDW and DCL before, but our upcoming trip will be our first trip with both on the same trip. We decided to do WDW first based on recommendations I have read here and what I think we will enjoy most. As several people already said, DCL is more relaxing, so it's nice to have that relaxation after running all around WDW.

If you have never done WDW before, I would definitely recommend at least four days (so a solid week of vacation total), but if you can do more days, I would. Also, consider getting the park hopper so that you can split days between parks; that way you can return to parks you like later in the trip.

I really think it depends on the ages of your kiddos.

I helped my friends plan their trip and she said that it was perfect for their family. A bit about her family both of the kids are busy busy, travel ball, dance team, church groups, and They ( my friends) own their own business. Here's what we came up with and any adjustment she made along the way.

They flew in the day before their cruise they were at the resort by like 10:00 am ( they did a private car with one stop to pick up water, soda and snacks for the cruise) - They stayed at CBR - They enjoyed the pool, and QS lunch, then cleaned up and went to DTD for dinner at Rainforest, then headed back to the room and went to bed early. QS breakfast then on the Bus to the cruise. - Tips - She kept out their swim wear, sunscreen and such ( Day Bag), then packed 1 bag with clothing for that night and next day. This way they did not have to get into the larger individual bags, it was easy peasy. She did take the time while everyone was getting ready to dry their swimsuits and shorts so that they were not wet and could be packed away without worry.

They went to Nassau and Castaway Cay - Both days they spent at the beach - Nassau some snorkel adventure with a pirate theme, and a quick trip shopping for a few t-shirts and adult beverages, Castaway Cay, the kids did some adventure, while the grown up went to the adult beach and her DH surprised here with couples massage, super relaxing.

She said that they did not make it to any shows as they were all tired and wanted to chill out, they did go to one of the family game shows. She did order milk and cookies which was a big hit with all of them( thanks for the tip DIS). They really never get any down time, and the kids were the ones that wanted to just relax, she said one night that her and DH where out on the veranda and when they went back in both of the kids were asleep, at 9:00.

Back on the bus and they decided to stay at AoA in a family suite for the next 6 nights, they did DDXDP, Park hoppers. Which for their family worked out great. They also used garden Grocer for some items for the room.

She said if they had started at WDW she doesn't think that they would have had the energy to really be on the go and make it to all the parade and fireworks each night.

We're after cruise people. But we go often enough we aren't go, go, go. And we go for a week after. We take our time and enjoy it all.
We arrive at WDW the day before the cruise, cruise and then back to WDW after. Next cruise will be the 4th time doing this.

I can't speak to before or after as I have never cruised(yet!) but having littler kids, as it appears you do, I can say I agree with those that recommend two Mk days. There are just so many rides that are appropriate and two days allows you to move at a more relaxed pace or even repeat things the kids love. We had fun at all the parks with our kids, but each is vastly different. Look at the rides and attractions you think your family will want to do to see if there is enough to make each worth it for you. Consider using touring plans of some sort. At epcot we did the princess lunch at akershus and that helped fill in our day there, for instance. You will not be able to do it all and you will want to go back again so just enjoy whatever you do!

We prefer before the cruise. We did before and after cruise last September and all the relaxation that we experienced on the cruise was gone by the end of our first day in the parks. If you have kids, the available food throughout the cruise will empty your wallet if you go to the parks afterward. Something about being able to have an ice cream or snack without opening your wallet to enjoy it. Can't imagine younger children understanding why it was okay earlier on vacation.

Why not consider both before and after? It doesn't increase the time you have to take off from work or the overall cost of the trip.

We did this two years ago and are doing it again in 42 days, not that I'm counting. Couple days before the trip gets you revved up and excited and in full Disney mode. And as the cruise winds down you don't have to be sad because you know you have a couple days coming up in the parks.

I agree...The cruise is great rest after WDW. We did that last year..
Yes, I agree. Last year we did the parks for 7 nights, then a 7 night cruise right after. Its a great to relax after the parks.

I agree that 5 days at the parks is a good amount of time. That way you can do each park once, and go back to your fave one on the 5th day! Depending on who youre travelling with, i'd either do MK or Epcot twice.

We've always been a before & after family as well, with or without our 2 DDs. We will however extend a few more days during the W&FF :drinking:

We were thinking about adding another day on the post cruise end - F&W, 2 nights might not be enough - but since the bed toppers have been removed my back just can't take too many nights away from home :) My hope was BC would have new mattresses by September but we just received 'that' warning reno letter.

I'm one of the ones in the minority. Did WDW couple years before and by the time i got on the ship I was exhausted and irritable.
Sailed the Fantasy twice last year and then headed to airport. HATED IT! I dreaded going back home. Sailed Fantasy again
in Feburary and at last minute decided to hit parks few days. Loved it! It required a "buffer" before heading back to
the reality of home. lol Stayed at animal kingdom and it seemed extension of the cruise. Everyone came home more relaxed
and happier :)

We're after cruise people. But we go often enough we aren't go, go, go. And we go for a week after. We take our time and enjoy it all.
We arrive at WDW the day before the cruise, cruise and then back to WDW after. Next cruise will be the 4th time doing this.
Exactly what I'm doing! I used to work for Disney so I'm just going the other CM's to do MNSSHP AND Wi e and Food fest.

We're in the same situation - first time for both WDW and DCL, but have been to WDW before. The cruise schedule determined our WDW visit before, but I actually preferred that for most of the reasons already mentioned. We'll hit WDW for 2 days and spend both in MK then on the Dream for 4 days. I am looking forward to relaxing a bit after all that walking and crowds and mayhem of the parks. I always feel like I need a vacation after a WDW vacation :)

We have always done WDW first. For us it is nicer to do the RUSH of WDW parks first and slow down and relax a little while on the ship. IMHO the Magic Kingdom deserves more than one day, especially if you are going during a busier time of year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter