Disney World Announces Dates for the 50th Anniversary Celebration

I’m guessing they want to hold off announcing specific events when they don’t know what the Covid restrictions are going to look like at that time. I imagine they have lots of things in the works, and probably “full” and “reduced” versions of many of them, but why announce and then have to pull back? Kind of like the “adding of park hours at the last minute” times 10. But yeah, it would’ve been nice to hear one specific guest or something besides “projections on stuff!! Ooooooh...”

I’m guessing they want to hold off announcing specific events when they don’t know what the Covid restrictions are going to look like at that time. I imagine they have lots of things in the works, and probably “full” and “reduced” versions of many of them, but why announce and then have to pull back? Kind of like the “adding of park hours at the last minute” times 10. But yeah, it would’ve been nice to hear one specific guest or something besides “projections on stuff!! Ooooooh...”
This is exactly right. They are not going to commit to something now in trying to get people to come and then have to back off it later. I think more announcements will be made as we progress further into vaccinations and see how things move forward.

I took this little teaser as just the opening round of building the anticipation. We have just over 7 months, where little details will be revealed all along the way, with occasional larger announcements. We will be glued to our favourite WDW info sites, watching for every new reveal!

In the meantime, let’s all do our part to conquer the pandemic so that we can thoroughly enjoy this milestone.

With it being 18 months, late winter or early spring 2023 might be the best time to go. Should be the least Covid restrictions meaning you will get the fullest 50th anniversary experiences.

I know it's early to speculate, but what's the chance the celebration gets extended past 18 months. I would think Disney would try to milk the 50th all they can.

With it being 18 months, late winter or early spring 2023 might be the best time to go. Should be the least Covid restrictions meaning you will get the fullest 50th anniversary experiences.
We are seriously considering cancelling our November 2021 trip for a November 2022 trip just because of this. So happy the celebration is lasting 18 months!

I know it's early to speculate, but what's the chance the celebration gets extended past 18 months. I would think Disney would try to milk the 50th all they can.
Isn't 18 months milking it as it is? After 12 months it should be the 51st Anniversary Celebration. It seems odd to keep calling it the 50th at that point.

They have for promotions in the past. The one I mentioned above (Year of a Million Dreams) was scheduled to run for, well, a year. However, was so successful, it was extended for an additional 18 months.

This is an anniversary celebration, but 18 months sort of turns into a promotion. Ambitious during a pandemic. I, too, wonder about their resources (as TomorrowlandKD asked). Are they rehiring CMs, extending hours, increasing attendance...?

2023 will be the 100th anniversary of the founding of The Walt Disney Company. I’m not sure what the specific date of that is, but the 18 month celebration for the WDW anniversary will run to April, so I suspect they’ll then be gearing up for or merging into the Company anniversary, at all their parks worldwide.

Edit - TWDC was founded on October 16, 1923. Ending the WDW celebration in April 2023 gives them 6 months to build attention and excitement for the next celebration.

Isn't 18 months milking it as it is? After 12 months it should be the 51st Anniversary Celebration. It seems odd to keep calling it the 50th at that point.

Disney seems to always do 18 months for these things. Disneyland Paris had their 25th anniversary run for 18 months, and I am sure had Disneyland been open last year, we would still be in the middle of the 65th. Money talks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter