Disney World 40th Anniversary

Bumping this one :)

Hoping they do something fro 40th - I miss the big 15 month celebrations of yesteryear.

I find it odd that they have sooo much 40th anniversary merchandinse, including Dooney bags and wouldn't have something in the parks to acknowledge. Wait and see I suppose.....

I was at Disney World for it's 20th and 25th Anniversary. I don't remember the park/resorts being more crowded (we always go in September). The marketing materials were changed to reflect the anniversary. I still have bags and park brochures from both anniversaries and I have more stuff from the 25th anniversary than the 20th celebration:cool1:. I am looking forward to going again this year in September. My husband and I will be celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary, my 40th high school graduation, my husband's 40th college graduation from the Unversity of South Carolina and of course Disney's 40th Anniversary - I plan on celebrating every minute......:yay:

I was there for the end of the 20th anniversary in September of 1992. It was wonderful. Everyone was talking about Disney World's birthday. I miss that!

The only rumor I've heard so far was that "rare" characters would be in the parks for the anniversary months, but other than that, most of the 40th "celebration" seems to be in merchandise and pricey events. :confused3 Guess they're waiting for the 50th?

I understand that, with the economic downturn and the expansion of Fantasyland, that a big celebration might not be in order. But it would have been nice to have some celebration or recognition other than stuff to buy, imho.

It doesn't look like there will be much done on October 1st for the 40th anniversary but I am taking a long weekend just so I can be there that day :dance3:

I was pleasently surprised to find that we are going to be at Disney on October 1st. I was just planning a surprise weekend for my oldest daughter and imagine MY surprise when I found out that Oct 1st, the only day that we are going to the park is the actual 40th anniversary date.

I am extremely excited now, and hope that there is a little extra magic in the park that day. :tink:

I was pleasently surprised to find that we are going to be at Disney on October 1st. I was just planning a surprise weekend for my oldest daughter and imagine MY surprise when I found out that Oct 1st, the only day that we are going to the park is the actual 40th anniversary date.

I am extremely excited now, and hope that there is a little extra magic in the park that day. :tink:

Fingers and toes are crossed that you experience some extra Pixie Dust that day!!!:wizard::thumbsup2

With all the 40th merchandise out already, I'll hoping for at least a little celebration something!

We had originally planned to be there the week before, but once I realized the date, we pushed it back a week to make sure we were there for the 40th Birthday!! I worked our touring plans around making sure we were at MK for the actual date - just because I wanted to be there on WDW's birthday - celebration or not.

When we went in July 1987, there were still celebrating the 15th birthday from Oct 1, 1986. And as already mentioned, the 25th birthday celebration went on for over a year. (Though when we went on our honeymoom, I was not a big fan of the pepto bismal birthday cake castle myself. But the other "25" signage was cute and it was nice that they worked the celebration into the parade.) Just hoping the castle looks like a castle for this one! LOL!!

Since Oct. 1 is less than a month away and no special events/celebrations have been announced I guess we're safe in assuming that it will be a day, just like any other day. Too bad.

Oh well- I'm doing my first solo trip, first Wine & Dine event and my first Half Marathon Relay that weekend. I'm having my own celebration!!

Disney posted on their twitter feed today to expect something special at Magic Kingdom on Oct. 1st. They are also releasing special trading pins on that day.

Disney posted on their twitter feed today to expect something special at Magic Kingdom on Oct. 1st. They are also releasing special trading pins on that day.

We happened to be in DL years ago for their 35th and everyone got a pin upon entering. Just looking at the a week or so ago. I don't recall any token giveaways for any of the WDW milemarks but you neber know!!

I know of a person from out of town who is WDW's "twin sister", having been born October 1, 1971. She will be visiting for that weekend. I have been in touch with some high-level Disney PR people who say that, "yes, it would be a wonderful story and to do something for her", but that nothing is planned.

The only assistance this person was to give was to put me in touch with someone from The Orlando Sentinel which is doing a feature, and the major newspaper in that person's state which is also doing a feature.

We will be in WDW for a week, beginning Oct. 1. Knowing how popular the MK is on weekends, we had planned to go to AK on that date. But I keep thinking Disney is bound to do something for their 40th. Then again, the crowds may be overwhelming on such a day. My Grumpy doesn't do well with crowds. Any words of wisdom from those who know? :wave2:

I took a personal day so I can have a long weekend and be in the Magic Kingdom for the 40th anniversary even if there is not much special planned :dance3:

We will be there Oct 1. My 40th is Oct. 5th (darn my mom for being overdue). We will also be celebrating my DD 2nd birthday as it is 9/30. It would be great if there was a little extra celebrating and magic that day, but we will be doing plenty of our own. party:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter