Disney World 40th Anniversary

monkey0816

Earning My Ears
Hi,
We are planning our 1st trip to Disney World for our daughter's 5th birthday, which I just found out coincides w/ Disney's 40th anniversary (Oct 2011). Just wondering if anyone knows from past experience (e.g. Disney's 25th or 30th annivesary celebrations) how crazy/busy this time period will be. Also, do they tend to raise resort prices or give good deals during anniversary years (or months)? Has anyone had trouble w/ not being able to get reservations in the past? Thanks in advance!

Good post.....I wonder if it will start on the anniv. day or beginning of the year? Hope it starts 1/2011 because we will be going in Aug/2011 and we will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniv along with Disney's 40th!!! :banana:

Thanks for the info! What great news for next years planning. We are planning on celebrating my 3yr old's bday and my 5 yr old going off to Kindergarten in Sept 2010...maybe we can delay it and celebrate my 33rd bday in Oct!! =) what a great celebration!

I was just coming to post this same type of question! We are planning our first trip in August 2011!

I would love to see a great 40th celebration but am doubting it will be acknowledged much, the huge Fantasyland expansion is going to be going on then and I'm thinking Disney is going to hold all the super good stuff for when that is done. Now 50th I think they will mega celebrate, but I'm afraid 40th will go mostly unnoticed. As far as crowds any celebration will not really effect the overall crowds much unless it is a killer cheap and good deal.

IMO most (non regular) visitors will wait until the MK expansion is complete to plan a trip and that is slated for 2012 and 2013. Think about it if you only go ever few years and you went in 2011 there will be construction going on at MK, Toontown will be closed and some of Fantasyland will be down too, and then in less than a year several new attractions will be up and runing that you missed too, plus no construction. If we were a once ever few years visitor we would definately wait until after the expansion is completed to visit.

We visited for the 10th, 15th 20th to WDW. They had celebration items for sale and decorations in the MK. We did visit DL for the 35th and they gave out pins to everyone! If I recall one of the anniversaries had some kind of contest going on as well. (not sure which) Disney seems to be doing all these celebrations now so I'm sure something will be done. This years is actually over.

I VOTE FOR A 40TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION!!

We were there for the 25th, 30th, (we were there for the 35th, but I don't think they acknowledged that one - in a big way anyway). C'mon Disney...we know you're expanding Fantasyland....can't you still "celebrate" your 40th Anniversary at the Magic Kingdom anyway? We all want to be a part of that celebration next year!!!:cool1:

Anyone else with me??

oh i cant wait! i just booked my trip for oct. 2011 and will be there for the anniverary! i hope they do something special for it! party: party:

We were at WDW for a few of the milestone anniversaries plus DL for their 35th. DL gave really nice pins for each land every visit. We have a few of these!

We are booked for May, 2011...so I am waiting to see if or what type of celebrating will be going on...popcorn::

I am going to be there in December before my cruise. Hopefully it will be an October through-December thing!!!

I was there fro 25th and 30th. I do remember the castle being a cake for one of them, cant remember whihc one. i dont think the 40th is gonna have a big impact i think they will wait til the 50th. But that is my opinion

I was there fro 25th and 30th. I do remember the castle being a cake for one of them, cant remember whihc one. i dont think the 40th is gonna have a big impact i think they will wait til the 50th. But that is my opinion

River Country, the castle cake was for the 25th Anniversary. We were there during that year. If I recall, there was a special parade, as well. It was a full year of celebration running from October of that year.

Well, it doesnt appear to be a 2011 full year event. We will be there on Oct 1, 2011 the actual anniversary hopefully they will do something!!! I've seen 40th anniversary merchandise already out there of course :)

River Country, the castle cake was for the 25th Anniversary. We were there during that year. If I recall, there was a special parade, as well. It was a full year of celebration running from October of that year.

It ran from Oct. 1, 1996 through January 31, 1998. We were scheduled to for the October 96 celebration but I was injured at work and had to cancel. The DW really wanted see the castle cake, but I was laid up. They announced an extension until Jan 31, 1998 and we were able to re-schedule, arriving on Jan 17th. She got to see the cake!!

Haven't read anything about a celebration for the 40th anniversary and like other posters I don't think there will be much. Maybe a recognition on the day of but my guess is not much else. They do have quite a bit of 40th anniversary merchandise that is fun.

I was at Disney World for it's 20th and 25th Anniversary. I don't remember the park/resorts being more crowded (we always go in September). The marketing materials were changed to reflect the anniversary. I still have bags and park brochures from both anniversaries and I have more stuff from the 25th anniversary than the 20th celebration:cool1:. I am looking forward to going again this year in September. My husband and I will be celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary, my 40th high school graduation, my husband's 40th college graduation from the Unversity of South Carolina and of course Disney's 40th Anniversary - I plan on celebrating every minute......:yay:

We've visited every year since WDW's inception. (Usually multiple trips)
They usually do some special milestone anniversary "branding" and/or events, 10, 20, 25, etc. Logos, castle decorations.

But usually it's not "over the top"

Our first trip to WDW was in August of 1972, so I was really hoping there would be a larger Anniversary celebration to mark "OUR" 40th!! Since there have been no announcements to date, I think you all are correct- they are saving the big parties for the completion of the FL expansion. I'm going to run the Half Marathon there the weekend of October 1st, so I'll be there anyway (just in case...). :rotfl:

Correct me if I am wrong - 2011 is the 40th anniversary year, correct? Oct 2011?

ETA: Yes, it is this year 2011 (Just wanted to double check). They opened in 1971. So excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter