Disney workers agree to contract extension

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
Disney workers agree to contract extension

Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted May 22, 2007, 12:17 PM EDT

An earlier version of this story included an incorrect date for the contract's new terms.

Walt Disney World and the unions representing 21,000 of its employees agreed late Monday to a labor contract extension, following last week's rejection by the union members of a proposed three-year contract.

On Friday the members of the six-union Service Trades Council voted 2,870-2,583 to reject the proposed new contract that Disney and most union negotiators had endorsed.

The previous pact expired at the end of April, and work had been continuing under a previous extension. The new extension keeps work going under the previous contract's terms until June 20. Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said the theme park company and the unions were considering their next step.

The Service Trades Council represents the Teamsters Local 385, UNITE HERE 362; UNITE HERE 737; United Food and Commercial Workers; Transportation Communications International Union; and the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts, Local 631. They in turn represent a wide variety of Disney workers, including parking lot attendants, vacation planners, custodians, costumed characters, food and beverage servers, stage technicians and bus drivers.

Just FYI, I've been told that any union member who doesn't vote at all is counted as a yes, so the yes votes on this may be inflated.

i have been negoitating contracts for a local UFCW union for over 20 years and i have never ever heard this. whenever we have a contract ratification vote each and every person has had their names checked against their company's roster and then they are allowed to vote. if you do not appear to vote there is no vote cast in your name.

in fact the companies i have dealt with love it when there is a low voting turnout. we have been told on a few occasions that the people dont care enough to vote why would they strike.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter