Disney Wonder ?

rramsr

Mouseketeer
Hi All, planning our second Disney Cruise in April 2016 on the Wonder from Miami. We did the Dream last August, will we be disappointed in the Wonder?

We did the 3day Bahamian and missed so much on the boat. With 2 sea days on the Wonder will the kids be bored? Kids will be 11 and 7

Thanks

Everyone's opinion of the ships is different. We happen to like the Magic/Wonder better than the Dream/Fantasy. It may be older, but they are constantly taking care of the ships and it looks great.

The Wonder is currently going through a mini-makeover and all of the rooms are getting new beds.

Our family loves sea days and we never get bored. There are so many activities offered.

We had 3 sea days on the Wonder while it was freezing outside and even a little rain. We never got bored.

I'm on a mission to try out all the ships.

I did the Dream last year, doing Magic this year....as for 2016, debating whether I should try the Wonder for Spring Break or the Fantasy for Summer. I'm not sure if I want to wait to cruise the Wonder until after her refurb...That's the only question to ask yourself.

We have cruised the Wonder, Magic and Dream. We prefer the size of the classic ships in general, plus it makes a big difference on CC day. We also think the quality of the food is higher on the classic ships as compared to the Dream (including the Palo brunch). The Dream has more variety on the buffet but we consistently felt the quality of entrees and desserts especially were not as good as the classic ships.

Our most recent 5-day on the Wonder had 2 at sea days that were great. The whole family found fun things to do.

Also, we may be the only ones, but we prefer the original Animator's Palate, which is now only available on the Wonder :)

Happy Cruising!

I'm on a mission to try out all the ships.

I did the Dream last year, doing Magic this year....as for 2016, debating whether I should try the Wonder for Spring Break or the Fantasy for Summer. I'm not sure if I want to wait to cruise the Wonder until after her refurb...That's the only question to ask yourself.

If you want to experience the all the ships you should do the Wonder before refurb. Then you can truly say you sailed all the ships.

I finally got to cruise the Wonder in Dec. and mentioned this to one of the officers and they total me now I have to go back to the Magic since it has changed and different. We did our first 5 on the Magic.

Then you will see what the Magic/Wonder looked like starting out.

As for cruising the smaller ships the kids programs are the same the spaces are just different. The Lab and Oceeneer Club are separate spaces on the Wonder instead of all the rooms connecting in one space like the Fantasy.

I've been on all 4 ... er 5 (Magic and New Magic)

Love them All

Prefer the Classic Ships (New Magic included).

I'm sailing for the new ports, and the relaxation on board and I enjoy getting to know a couple of the cruise staff each trip ... too many guests on the new ships to get time to chat with the staff - everyone wants a bit of their time.

We sailed on the Dream and Fantasy before the smaller ships and I was worried we'd be underwhelmed with the Wonder. My kids will tell you they prefer the smaller ships. I still love the Fantasy but I didn't dislike the Magic or Wonder - they're all amazing. Sea days are the best - two wouldn't be enough for my group!

We did Dream in October 2013 and Wonder in November 2014 with the same concerns as yours. Worry not, as the Wonder is an amazing ship. We sailed, 2 families, with 4 kids between us...ages 15,14,12,11... Never bored and liked the Wonder ship better. They'd preferred the teen clubs more on the Wonder. I didn't notice any food differences, but like the home, cozy feeling of the Wonder. She is beautiful shape and it was nice on CC with less people. Don't worry... You'll love the Wonder!! :)

Thank you everyone for your responses. When is the refurb supposed to happen?

We just went in our first cruise last month, 5 nights on the Wonder. Granted this was our first DCL experience, but I found that there was SO much going on and I didn't get t do half of what I planned. That being said we still had the most incredible vacation and booked 4 nights on the Dream for November! I contemplated booking the Magic as I hear many say how it's their favorite ship, and how the classics are more "intimate". The timing just worked out for the Dream, but I'm sure I'll be on the Magic and Fantasy at some point!

Everyone's opinion of the ships is different. We happen to like the Magic/Wonder better than the Dream/Fantasy. It may be older, but they are constantly taking care of the ships and it looks great.

The Wonder is currently going through a mini-makeover and all of the rooms are getting new beds.

Our family loves sea days and we never get bored. There are so many activities offered.

I ditto the above posting. I LOVE the Wonder. :love:

Doing our first cruise (also in April, 2016) on the Pre-refurb Wonder. We'll be able to see the changes when we cruise on it again.

I just booked our February 2016 vacation on the Wonder! I am really excited we got a really good deal for the 5 of us! Let the dreaming / planning begin! pixiedust::cool1:

We cruised 2 weeks ago on Wonder and loved the ship. We have done 10 cruises on RCCL's larger ships and enjoyed the "intimate" feeling of the Wonder. We took the 5 day cruise and have only 2 complaints; the cruise was too short and the ship hardly rolled (the seas were super calm the whole time)!

The public rooms on the Wonder are all in fantastic condition. I did not notice any torn carpets or damaged furnishing. Disney takes very good care of the ship. The ship was extremely clean. I guess it happened by magic; other than the pool deck staff picking up towels and snack dishes from the pool areas I never really saw the staff cleaning the ship. Every restroom I was in was super clean. We were in cabin 2112 and 2116 and they have not been renovated yet. The corridor walls near our cabin and the walls in our cabin are in desperate need of new coverings. You can tell they have tried to patch them over the years; they look awful (dirty, scratched, dented). The dirty, nicked walls in the corridors and our rooms were the only noticeable deficiency on the ship. Hopefully the room renovations include re-covering the walls in the cabins and the stateroom corridors. The rest of the ship was beautiful for being 15 years old.

The adults’ only spaces seemed very under-utilized on our cruise. We ate a Palo one night and had fantastic service and a delicious dinner. The pool areas were nice and the kids had a great time in the Mickey and Goofy pools. There were always available deck chairs in the adult pool area. It was a struggle to find a couple of open deck chairs in the kids and family pool areas during peak sea days, but we managed. Having the lifeguards in each pool area was great to see and comforting for me as a parent.

The Beach Blanket Buffet was nice; it is an old school buffet line (compared to newer ships that have stations). But I liked it. It reminded me of my first cruise in 1998. The aft deck off the Beach Blanket Buffet was the best outdoor dining area I have seen on any ship I have sailed. Breakfast on the back deck was so beautiful. We ate breakfast and lunch here a couple of times and did not find it overwhelmingly crowded.

Mickey’s pool area had a cheeseburger food stand that served quick style foods. The French fries were great. Goofy’s pool has a pizzeria with great hot pretzels (the pizza was terrible frozen pizza; Disney could do better here).

My kids loved the kids club and asked to go each night. They staff would text us on the two cell phones allocated to each room when the kids wanted to be picked up. The wave phones are a great feature on the ship and eliminate the need for everyone to be using those annoying 2 way radios. I have not seen wave phones on RCCL and am surprised because they are a great idea.

Dinner each night was good and each dining room and menu was unique. I was surprised and rather disappointed to see there was a kids menu even for the 10 year olds in our group. The menu typically consisted of a salad and three or four entrees (macaroni and cheese, cheese burger, hot dog, chicken tenders, pizza). Our older kids did end up ordering dinners from the main menu a couple of nights but I felt like our waiter was “sneaking” them the entrée. I found the dining rooms to be very loud and it was extremely difficult to hear conversations at my table especially in Parrot Cay. I feel Disney needs to address the acoustics in all three dining rooms and work in some sound absorption materials. We had first seating and liked the 5:45 start as it is approximately the time we eat at home. I heard the kids club staff comes to get the second seating children about 45 minutes into dinner so the adults can enjoy the meal and was surprised they don’t do this for first seating. The children at our table were served dinner when we received our appetizers. On the third night, we finally started taking our kids up to the club after they finished eating. One adult would take all the kids at our table to the kids club after we finished our salads and before the entree was served as the kids became quite bored sitting there.

There are tons of kids, family and adult activities all day and into the night. There is no way to do everything.

Castaway Cay is the best private island we have been to. It is well laid out and had plenty of chairs for our ship (they said it has over 5,000 loungers).
We did not feel like we were being nickeled and dimed on board like on Carnival and RCCL. The wait staff was always available for bar service but were not constantly hovering or openly pushing drinks every second. The complimentary drink station by the Mickey Pool was great.

We will definitely sail Disney Wonder again.

We just were on the wonder. I have a review if you want to see some pics or read it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter