Disney Wonder June 8, 2015 Alaska Train from Seattle to Vancouver?

doebeleb

Mouseketeer
wondering if anyone has taken the train from Seattle to Vancouver, and if so what was your experience? Flight from Dallas to Seattle are about $200-$300 cheaper than flying to Vancouver, and with a party of 5 that adds up.
Thanks for any input!!

We did the same trip in 2012 and took to the train for the same reason, cost.

The train was one of the highlights of the trip. The train route is along the coast most of the way. We literally had bald eagles flying along side the train. We also splurged for business class and I would say it was worth it because we had table to play cards on.

We took the train to Vancouver the day before our cruise so we didn't have to stress. We stayed at the Pan Pacific hotel and really liked the hotel.

Hope this helps.

I love that train.

It does increase costs and vacation time needed, though. Because most flights will get in after their north-bound trains have left, so you have to stay in the Seatac or Seattle area. Or if you get in early enough to take the train up the same day your flight arrives, it'll be too late to get on the cruise. So you have to stay over in Vancouver that night.

If you stay in Seattle you get to take the early train and assume you will arrive on time, and rush to the cruise.

Or you take whatever train and enjoy a day in Vancouver, stay overnight, and make it the following day.

So we're at 2 nights before you get on the cruise, if you want to take things nice and easy and without rushing. Starts to add up!

Then you have to make sure you have booked the train, and not the Amtrak bus. There's a little bus symbol next to the buses. And yet people make mistakes.

And lastly you have to hope for no landslides along the track for 3 days before your train goes (b/c if there's a slide, they wait 3 days to let trains go through again), and hope that no freight trains have problems in front of you, because they have priority (they own the rails) and if they are stuck you have no choice but to wait.

Whew! Like I said, I love Amtrak. We actually took it to Vancouver before our honeymoon cruise back in '03. But we make sure to put hotel stays on either side, just in case. This takes away from it being a budget choice.

And check their website to see if there has been a slide. We did not do that once when going home, counted on food and water on the train, only to discover we would be on a chartered bus (not even the Amtrak buses because this wasn't a scheduled bus trip). No food, no water. Stops every hour for bathrooms and smoking. No water-view ride along the coast, just I-5, and no eagle sightings at all. Sigh.

Should mention that in June I had the pleasure of going to the Vancouver airport. I would go there again in a heartbeat. While I wasn't a huge fan of the prop plane from Seattle to Vancouver, that airport is gorgeous and pleasant and wonderful. I think the train has just lost out for me, because I would bypass the chance for eagle-sightings to be at that airport (and that probably means there's something very wrong with me, but I love a nice airport).

We are on the same cruise next year. I think we will also be flying into Seattle but we will get a one-way rental and drive to Vancouver.

I took the train up on 7/19/2014 and we loved it. I have free tickets to Seattle so we extended our trip and went around Seattle for two days before taking the train.

The train was very nice. I also thought I read in my research that if there is a train issue you will be boarded onto a bus and driven to Vancouver.

We just did the train from Seattle to Vancouver a few months ago --- loved it. Since we are a family of 4 and checked in early, they gave us a table (we didn't upgrade our tickets or anything). They did have a food car (some breakfast/snack items, drinks), but I was expecting an actual dining car (because that's what I was led to believe they had).

We sat on the left side of the train going up to Vancouver and had wonderful views of the bald eagles on the beach, etc.

My only complaint on the entire trip was how AMTRAK handled our luggage when we arrived in Vancouver. So the minute we arrived in Vancouver, it started to pour, but they wouldn't let us off the train until they took all the checked luggage and threw it by the chainlink fence out in the open (no covering). Fortunately we had waterproof jackets on, but it was difficult finding our luggage in the rain, and it was just chaotic. I am also glad my children are older because if I had toddlers, I would have had a nervous breakdown trying to hold children and luggage. Then we had to wait in a line in the open while it was pouring to check out through customs --- WTH?

I guess that's how they welcome you to Canada :rotfl:

While Amtrak is more scenic... there is also a shuttle that can take you from Seatac straight to the cruise ship terminal or downtown hotels.
http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm

• Shuttle is $45... about the same is Amtrak train... but
  • Amtrak has additional cost from station to downtown Vancouver hotels or cruise ship terminal. Catching a cab? You need to budget for TWO cabs for 5 people.
  • Amtrak has additional cost and inconvenience from Seatac to downtown Seattle, shuttle picks up at Seatac
  • Amtrak has 2 trains a day, shuttle offers 5 to 6 trips per day
  • shuttle offers wifi
  • shuttle is faster on road than train on rail, especially through Canada

Hi!

We loved the train. My trip report below is from a couple of years ago, but it has a section about the train trip at the beginning.

I will say, this year, we did business class and loved it! For the extra money, we were first on and off the train (they disembark by cars) and you get a small credit at the snack bar. When we arrived in Vancouver, it took maybe 20 minutes to disembark and make it through Customs.

mp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter