• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Wonder Alaska Aug 1-8, 2016

Goofysports47

Earning My Ears
Planning to cruise on the Disney Wonder to Alaska from Vancouver on August 1, 2016. 7 Night Cruise. If you are as well, reply to this thread and we can all help each other out with questions, excursions, fish extenders, meet & greets, etc.

Well August 1st is the annual long weekend for the locals....
  • Celebration of Lights fireworks competition on Saturday night, causing evening downtown gridlock
  • Pride Parade Sunday afternoon cause morning/afternoon downtown gridlock. Don't expect to use the Hop On Service on this day. Think Grouse Mountain/Capilano this day to get out of downtown.
  • lots of border congestion getting into Vancouver on Saturday and Sunday evening for those thinking of flying into Seattle
  • hotels vacancy will be a challenge
  • if the Canadian dollar hasn't recovered... expect more record tourists in town from Asia and the Americas.

Last edited:

Welcome Msidescooter! As we get closer to sailing, we'll set up Fish Extender and Mixology groups. Until then, post any questions/comments, etc and we'll try to help.
xlxo: thanks for the info. Definitely need to plan around that!

We are so excited as well. First time for any of us to be in Alaska. We have 2 cabins. The first for myself and my husband, and the other for my brother, sister in-law and their 2 kids (14 1\2 yr old girl and 9 [almost10] yr old boy). We are seasoned cruisers, but REALLY are looking forward to this once in a lifetime type of trip! Am a bit concerned (and yet excited) about the festivities that weekend. We were hoping to get into town a day or 2 before hand and do touristy things, but hotels and crowds might be an issue. I guess we we will just have to wait and see...

So glad I found this thread...we definitely want to do FE, when those start! Looking forward to sharing ideas, questions and information. Anyone know if there is a FB group yet for our trip? I am on one for a cruise we are taking in October this year, and it is a great resource!
:earboy2:

jennig, nice to see some other teens on the cruise! My twin girls will be 15 1/2 at cruise time and we know of a similar aged friend that is going. My girls had fun on our last cruise, but as it was not a typical school week, they didn't have many kids their own age. They were concerned that this would be another one of those cruises, but it's looking better all the time.

FE will start in (very) early 2016. Hope to have a good pool of people by then to make some fun groups!

Which boat are you sailing this October? I've only been on the Fantasy, so looking forward to checking out the Wonder next year....but it's so far away!

Last edited:
Just off the Fantasy an hour ago and ready to plan our 2nd Alaskan cruise!!! It will be myself, hubby & our daughter (18). Part graduation present for her and part normal family vacation.

[QUOTE}
  • hotels vacancy will be a challenge[/QUOTE]
Knowing that, I decided to sneak a peek at some hotels & was able to find the Pan Pacific for $290 (usd) a night. Jumped on that right away!!! No stress about where we're going to stay AND my hubby gets to watch the Wonder come in that morning!!

Hi everyone! My husband and I booked this cruise while on the Magic this summer! Needless to say, we are really excited to head to Alaska! Is anyone a repeat Alaskan cruiser and want to share more on what to expect or book for excursions? We are still new to DCL so any information you have would be great!

Is anyone a repeat Alaskan cruiser and want to share more on what to expect or book for excursions?
Here's some excursion ideas...

Limited port time is the biggest reason why many return to Alaska. Do budget extra pre-/post-cruise in that bonus port of Vancouver. It's bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined.

My wife and I will be adding some more teens to the ship, two 17 year old girls (our daughter and her best friend), our 14 year old boy, and we also have a 6 year old boy. This will be our first cruise as gold cc members and the first time to cruise somewhere other than the Bahamas or Caribbean. We are very excited and like Dumbofan we are already booked at the Pan Pacific.

Hello all...Taking the cruise with my wife, brother and sister in law and niece and nephew, so looking forward to it....Question, with the events in Vancouver anybody thinking about going into Seattle and then going to Vancouver on Sunday night....we are coming from East Coast...

Hello all...Taking the cruise with my wife, brother and sister in law and niece and nephew, so looking forward to it....Question, with the events in Vancouver anybody thinking about going into Seattle and then going to Vancouver on Sunday night....we are coming from East Coast...

That is our plan. We are also flying from the East Coast. My parents live in Washington so we are meeting them in Seattle and then plan on taking the Amtrak up the coast. We will probably fly Southwest. When we add in the train and not having to pay for luggage on Southwest, the price is about the same as flying into Vancouver.

Hello Everyone! Just checking in. under 28 weeks to go! I know life keeps us all busy, but the trip will be here soon! YEAH!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter