Disney Wonder 5 Night June 8 - 13, 2010

htmlkid

Gold DCL Member / SSR DVC Member
We just got back from the Disney Wonder 5 night cruise to Key West, Nassau and Castaway Cay. This was our 4th cruise with Disney, out first 5 night cruise. We have done the 3 night, 4 night and 7 night cruise in the past. This was the first time I was somewhat disappointed with portions of the cruise.

We arrived at the terminal and boarded in the typical fashion. Because it wasn't 1:30pm yet, we went topside to have lunch at the Beach Blanket Buffet. Lunch was great and soon after our room was ready. We settled in and afterwards went back to the top deck for the big departure party. Last time at the party they provided everyone red and blue hand pom poms to wave during the party, but this time only the staff had them. I found out after the Disney has cut back and doesn't hand them out any more.

We had an early seating at dinner, and we were a family of 3 that was placed at our own table. We were a little disappointed that we weren't placed at a table with others, but we were initially assigned to the later dinner and when they made the change this was the only table available. Service was defiantly not the usual Disney standard. Even after 5 nights of me and my daughter ordering the same drink, the assistant server would still ask us what we wanted to drink. All the dinners seemed very rushed and didn't leave seem to leave time for the servers to interact much with the guests. I even asked the second night why they were both so quiet, and I was told by the Head Server that the main guy who ran the dining room told them to quickly serve the guests and get them out because they are probably tired. My last comment about dinner has to do with Pirate Night. Here again Disney has cut back and doesn't give the bandanas they use to on past cruises.

Most of the shore excursions were good with the exception of the Key West Dolphin Watch, Kayak and Snorkel. It defiantly wasn't what was described in the Disney brochure. Although they did find Dolphin, the Kayak was next to an island that we couldn't get close to due to the tide being too low and the snorkel was not near a sunken ship, it was over a bed of grass with maybe 5 fish swimming the whole time in 1-4 feet of water.

Disney added two new shows to the cruise which we were very excited about seeing, the first was Toy Story which was excellent and the Second was called Once Upon a Song. It was described as a collection of Disney songs sung by the cast. The complaint I had about this show was that none of the songs were popular Disney Songs that you or any children in the audience would sing.

All in all it was still a good cruise, but defiantly not the Disney standard that we have been accustomed to!!!!

Thanks for the review although I had wished for glowing reviews as we leave in a little over a month for our cruise. I had heard from a few of the 5 night DD that the Once Upon a Song is to be missed. I guess we will go to a movie or swim that night.

Yes the Once Upon a Song wasn't what we expected, and remember the individual server make your experience. I'm sure you will have a great time. All our other cruises with Disney were outstanding and we did have our best experience with the Kids Club this time. Also don't miss the family games like Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer or Who Wants to be a Pirate.... for any age they are awesome!!!!

Did they have tea time with Alice in Wonderland....also which nights are the Pirate Night dinner and the Til We Meet Again Dinner?

Thanks for posting so quickly.....some of us are very anxious to see navigators, etc. I am driving my husband crazy!

Emily

I'm not sure about Tea Time but Pirates Night is the night before the arrival to Castaway Cay. Till we meet again is the last night. Bring post it notes, we did this on our cruise and met so many people with it. We just hung blank post it notes on the door and a pen on the fish and as people walked by they left notes. By the end of the cruise we had almost 70 notes!!! Below is a picture!!!

2010SummerDisneyCruise276.jpg

What was the entertainment on Pirate Night...I think someone mentioned Prince of Persia movie...which doesn't interest me at all:sad2:

Emily

Big party on deck.... don't want to give details cause it would ruin it... but not to be missed along with fireworks!!!!!!!! :banana:

I'm not sure about Tea Time but Pirates Night is the night before the arrival to Castaway Cay. Till we meet again is the last night. Bring post it notes, we did this on our cruise and met so many people with it. We just hung blank post it notes on the door and a pen on the fish and as people walked by they left notes. By the end of the cruise we had almost 70 notes!!! Below is a picture!!!

2010SummerDisneyCruise276.jpg

This is a great idea! I'll have to give it a try next time...

Your magnets are awesome! How did you make them?
Doing the Double Dip June 27th!
Ellen Mills
Buffalo, NY

We grabbed pictures from these boards and elsewhere online then added the writing to them. We then took them to staples for lamination and added magnets to the back. Each day we would put another one up depending on the port we were going to.

Hey we were on your cruise and we saw your door!! Awesome idea!! We had the late seating for dinner and we sat alone too..the table was set up for another family to be with us but were told that they moved...maybe that was you guys?? We missed sharing dinner with another family too... we did end up talking with another family at the table adjacent to ours which was nice. Our servers were good but not quite as much fun as our servers on the Magic last year. Jen from England was adorable though and very personable! George from India was good but still not quite as "fun" ...but still, no complaints! We also thought the food was not quite as good as the food on the 7 night cruise...but we still enjoyed it!!

I second the thanks for the reviews. Sorry the service was less than stellar - We are going on the 5-night Key West on the 22nd. Any chance you are posting your navigators from the trip?

Hey we were on your cruise and we saw your door!! Awesome idea!! We had the late seating for dinner and we sat alone too..the table was set up for another family to be with us but were told that they moved...maybe that was you guys?? We missed sharing dinner with another family too... we did end up talking with another family at the table adjacent to ours which was nice. Our servers were good but not quite as much fun as our servers on the Magic last year. Jen from England was adorable though and very personable! George from India was good but still not quite as "fun" ...but still, no complaints! We also thought the food was not quite as good as the food on the 7 night cruise...but we still enjoyed it!!

OMG!!!!Yes that was probally us. We initially had the late seating and requested standby for the eariler. I guess that might be why we were also at our own table. I hope as you passed by our door you left a message.

I second the thanks for the reviews. Sorry the service was less than stellar - We are going on the 5-night Key West on the 22nd. Any chance you are posting your navigators from the trip?

I don't really want to post them as I feel it sort of spoils the suprise of whats happening next. At the end of the day you look forward to the navigator to see whats going to be happening.

As for the service, I think somoene here summed it up well. Our servers were relatively new and at any restraunt their basic table service wasn't bad, it just wasn't the Magical Disney Service we are accustomed to. And I now understand that takes more time to aquire.

we were also on this cruise and had a great time, but saw some changes.
The bandanas went from full size to disappearing, but I'm sure most people do not save them anyway-so we have a bunch at home and did not miss them.

In 10+ cruises we have never seen pom poms given to cruisers at sail away-so we did not miss this. The food portions were smaller and our servers never offered to bring anything extra to try. I was okay with the portions because I never eat that much at home, but would have liked to try a few things.
Our servers had been on several years and were nice and efficient, but not as personable as others we have had.

We enjoyed Once upon a song, but not for little kids.

I think the service is a hit or miss thing. Our serving team was fantastic...O'Neil and Violetta (who got moved to a server on our second cruise, congrats!). They remembered our drink preferences from night to night, brought out everything quickly and efficiently and brought out some extra desserts for people to try.

I was glad to see they brought in an act for the cabaret show. We thought Jeff was quite good.

As for Pirate night, beyond the pirate party they did have Prince of Persia play in the WD Theater at 5:15 and 8pm. Slightly off from normal show times I assume to get people out in time for the party.

Jim

Hello We too were on this Cruise and we noticed the same little changes too mostly small cut backs to save money and not raise prices as we are sure fewer families are cruising. One other thing we noticed was no lighter fair or vegetarian selections on the menu. and menu selections mostly included fish beef and pasta. our assistant server was much nicer and personable than our server. We do not know if it is normal for 5 night cruises but there was only one cabaret act

Hello We too were on this Cruise and we noticed the same little changes too mostly small cut backs to save money and not raise prices as we are sure fewer families are cruising. One other thing we noticed was no lighter fair or vegetarian selections on the menu. and menu selections mostly included fish beef and pasta. our assistant server was much nicer and personable than our server. We do not know if it is normal for 5 night cruises but there was only one cabaret act

Hmm. Our menus had lighter fare and vegetarian options on them every night. The difference (though this happened a year or more ago) was that a beef lighter fare is no longer there. The vegetarian options are now embedded within the menu and not called out like I think they used to be. Each night had one vegetarian option on it.

The 5N cruises are new so I don't think anything could be called "normal". :) We were pleased they had a cabaret show since I don't think they normally do on a 3N or 4N. I was wishing they would have had a full show in the WD theatre though rather than just a cabaret act.

Jim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter