Disney with Type 1 diabetes

I use an Omnipod and have never had any trouble going on rides....and I'm a wild ride person. If it turns you upsidedown or twirls you in circles, I'm on it. Thank goodness I have an ominpod, I couldn't imagine disconnecting for water rides or showers for that matter. Good Luck!

Thank you all so much! You have put this T1mama's mind at ease! I have another question... She is going to start pumping in another 2 weeks! Super excited! Our endo said that the rides could screw with the omnipod a pdm. If you or your T1 pump have you experienced this? Calling the rep to double check.

we've never had trouble and have never bothered to disconnect. Nothing is going to screw with the PDM and you can't disconnect the Pod anyway. You'll be fine. :)

I've just started pumping via a medtronic, I want to know about the waterparks. I will have to disconnect as the pump isn't waterproof, but how long is it ok to come off the pump for.

Does anyone have any advise please?

Many thanks
Pauline
It really depends on how quickly you develop ketones. My son never gets them, so we just disconnect and periodically go to the locker (where the pump is in an insulated bag, with no ice) and bolus for any highs. It's never an issue as he's always low but we make sure we cover all the food he'll eat as he will skyrocket later from the day's worth of missed basal. .

If you are very ketone prone, many doctors will suggest you do a shot of lantus that morning (or the night before) to cover all your missed basal for the day, essentially just keeping your pump for food boluses for a full day. Most people can go for an hour or two before having to reconnect and making up the missed basal, so that's also an option. Just leave the pump like we do, in the locker in something to prevent it from overheating, and return periodically to bolus for missed basal. :)

I've been using the Omnipod since 2011. IIRC, the warranty on my Medtronic Paradigm was running out shortly before a Disney trip, and I decided to switch to the Omniod because it seemed like it might be easier to travel with! And IMO it has been. ;)

Since then, I have heard rumors about it being affected by the kind of magnets used by the PeopleMover. Now, I personally didn't notice any trouble after riding it. The only mechanical trouble I had was an infusion set falling off on a sweaty morning, and a low battery warning that was anticipated and easily dealt with. Take my anecdata for what it's worth.

Now, the rep who trained me on the Omnipod did recommend that I not go through any of the high-powered backscatter X-ray scanners (I can't remember exactly what they're called!) at MCO, so I opted for the patdown when they wanted me to go through. But, I don't know if they even have those machines anymore, or if there has been more study on their effects, so take that with a grain of salt.

I have one on the animas ping, and one on the omnipod. I was told that we have to be careful on rides with high powered magnets, cause it could wipe the computer chip in the pump. I have talked to LOTS of pumpers though, and no one seems to take theirs off on rides, and no one I have talked to has had any problems.

On the flip side, pods and pdms are absolutely not supposed to go through the backscatter machines, or any of the enhanced imaging security. Some people do it and are fine, but I also know several people who had their pumps fried (including my girls endo nurse).

we've never had trouble and have never bothered to disconnect. Nothing is going to screw with the PDM and you can't disconnect the Pod anyway. You'll be fine. :)

It really depends on how quickly you develop ketones. My son never gets them, so we just disconnect and periodically go to the locker (where the pump is in an insulated bag, with no ice) and bolus for any highs. It's never an issue as he's always low but we make sure we cover all the food he'll eat as he will skyrocket later from the day's worth of missed basal. .

If you are very ketone prone, many doctors will suggest you do a shot of lantus that morning (or the night before) to cover all your missed basal for the day, essentially just keeping your pump for food boluses for a full day. Most people can go for an hour or two before having to reconnect and making up the missed basal, so that's also an option. Just leave the pump like we do, in the locker in something to prevent it from overheating, and return periodically to bolus for missed basal. :)

It also depends on how active you are when you are disconnected. If my girls are running around, a little insulin goes a long way and they can be disconnected for several hours without rising a single bg point. If they are sitting on their bums, then they need to pre-bolus and then make up the bolus' every hour at least.

I have had Type 1 diabetes for about 40 years now since I was 5. All trips to WDW have been since I was diagnosed.

Before I went on the Omnipod, I always had my syringes and my insulin and all supplies with me. Never had a problem. Also, always carried some sort of glucose with me. Sometimes you drop so fast, you don't have time to get to a kiosk or wait in line etc..

Since I've been on my Omnipod (fall of 2009) I've had no issues with it at WDW. I have been on all rides and through the scanner at the airport without an issue.

I do put my PDM in the basket for hand inspection.

Now I always bring glucose tablets AND Disney fruit snacks. I keep a couple of bags on me at all times.
I tend to run a little low at WDW even with all the eating. I think it's due to the walking. We average almost 10 miles a day in the parks.

I do agree with a PP about the stickiness of the adhesive if you're travelling during a hotter month as when I sweat, sometimes the adhesive starts to loosen. Also, if there is going to be time where there is a lot of swimming or a pool day.

I have also used Tegaderm and love it. It's not visually attractive, but what the heck I figure. I use it on DCL when we go snorkelling etc.

You will have no issues bringing her supplies with you, in fact, PLEASE do not leave them in a locker. Bring some sort of fast acting carb with you at all times as well. And don't worry about the Ominipod on any rides. :)

HTH!

one more thing we do - on rides like splash mountain or Kali river, I make sure I have a ziploc bag in my larger bag. I can easily slip his meter into the zippy bag just to make sure it doesn't get soaked. With his pump, I carry a few non-zip sandwich bags and he just covers the pump a few times. It just offers another level of safety.

I've just started pumping via a medtronic, I want to know about the waterparks. I will have to disconnect as the pump isn't waterproof, but how long is it ok to come off the pump for.

Does anyone have any advise please?

Many thanks
Pauline

I have a Medtronic Paradigm. I can disconnect for a couple hours and maintain good BS. The extra running around at the water parks reduces my insulin requirements a bit. I have my meter & glucose tablets on me at all times. Never go anywhere without it. Check out Dyna Paks- water proof bags you can keep on you with your meter. Amazon sells them. I also have a larger Dyna Pak that allows me to carry my pump with me so I don't have to run back to locker for meals or snacks.

Seen alot of great advice so far, and just wanted to add a little bit.

I was a College program custodian in Epcot World showcase, and I know that there were sharps containers in almost every closet, so if your daughter was to need to dispose of a needle in a park, if she gave it to a custodian they should be able to dispose of it safely :)

How is it safe for the custodian to handle the contaminated sharp object?

If she goes on that mission ride in Epcot, she should go the less intense. She might not able to handle to g's in the intense version. The real worry is the lines though.

If she goes on that mission ride in Epcot, she should go the less intense. She might not able to handle to g's in the intense version. The real worry is the lines though.

Idk. I always ride the regular version. Both before I pumped and now as an Omnipod user. Never an issue.

scratching my head on this one. Does g-force work differently in people with diabetes?

:lmao:

scratching my head on this one. Does g-force work differently in people with diabetes?

:lmao:

Maybe the thought is, if she's on a regular pump the G-force affects the pump somehow? :confused3 I'm an Omnipod user so I'm not sure about other types of pumps...

ok, well I was totally confused there for a minute. ;)

BTW, it's completely false - g-force will NOT push insulin through a pump tubing. The only warnings for some pumps is for rides with magnetic induction systems but even then, the risk is very tiny and none of the rides at Disney have these systems in place (not even rock-n-roller coaster). I can't find any credible documentation from any pump company saying g-force is an issue.

It's been years now but we went in 2006 about seven months after dd's dx at age five. I wore a HUGE fanny pack. It was so big, I ended up taking it off and just carrying it or putting it in the stroller. But I took it on all rides, no problem.

I found Disney with diabetes to be pretty easy (well as easy as anything with diabetes can be). Just pack extras of everything, carry a little of everything in your bag that you take everywhere and have her check often. Of course as she was still fairly young we used a stroller which I think helped as it was in the upper 90's in August when we went and we somehow got a week where it only rained once or twice the whole time. It was full on sun. :furious:

I haven't read all the responses yet, but I just wanted to say I know how you feel! DS was diagnosed this July and we are taking a DCL/WDW vacation in January so I'm hoping for lots of good info! I'm happy we are going during January where I won't have to worry so much about the heat affecting his BG or his insulin. Ok, off to read the other replies, I just got impatient. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter