Disney with Type 1 diabetes

eeyore68

Earning My Ears
We will visit WDW for the first time since my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. She often drops low when we are on vacations and I am sure it will be the same there. I am worried that if I carry a small back pack for supplies, quick sugars, protein, insulin and testing supplies, I might not be allowed to ride some rides. Has anyone done this? I am scared if I leave it in a locker it might be too far away when she needs it!

do not worry! you will have no problems carrying a backpack full of supplies... I have been a diabetic since i was 10 and have been going to WDW since the 70's and there is no problems to worry about! there is a forum here that is called disabilities and you may want to look there and i am sure someone has some tips for you and your daughter. good luck and try not to worry! :goodvibes

oops.. i guess you were in disabilities... look and search here for some help.. people here love to help!

Oh, yeah, I'm sure my park bag is bigger than the bag of someone without Type 1! I prefer a messenger bag because I'm a bit clumsy and it sometimes takes me too long to get the backpack on and off when I want something quickly.

On the Theme Park Strategy board, every once in a while I'll see a thread about "Har har I'm so smart I put everything I need in one pocket and everyone who carries a bag is so dumb!" and I'll have to remind myself that I'm genuinely glad that person doesn't know what it's like to have to haul stuff around all day as a matter of life and death.

At least BG meters are a lot smaller than they were when I first started out! My memory is probably playing tricks on my, but my first one felt like hauling around a dictionary!

Yes, keep your bag with you at all times. Make sure it's got a good zipper or fastener for coasters and other rough rides. Waiting in line is a GREAT place to test! Plan on testing at least twice as often as at home. Symptoms of lows and highs are really easy to confuse with the usual Disney symptoms of fatigue, overheating, dehydration, overstimulation, excitement, etc. Any funny feeling is a good reason to test, even if it isn't one of her usual symptoms. It's not a bad idea to keep the meter (and/or PDM if she has an OmniPod) in a Ziploc bag on wet rides like Splash Mountain.

I find it helpful to drink when I'm not thirsty; staying hydrated seems to help. Counting carbs at WDW is a challenge, but it all seems to work out. I prefer Dex4 gel to glucose tablets, both for delivery and results.

Frio pouches are great for traveling with insulin. I was a dummy last time and didn't bring any to the parks during the day, so when an infusion set went bad at EPCOT I had to go back to the hotel to change it and missed the Behind the Seeds tour. All the Disney hotels will give you a sharps container, and they're even popping up in some of the public restrooms.

If she's pumping and you're going in hot weather, look into methods for making infusion sets stick to sweaty skin. (I'm a Tegaderm gal).

TL;DR - you can keep your bag with you; test whenever the opportunity arises, and have a great time!

All bags are taken on rides with you. I have ridden all types of rides at WDW with different style bags, sometimes with lots of camera equipment. I just put the bag at my feet and put my foot through one of the handles. This way, it cannot slide around too much and I do not forget it when I go to get off the ride.

If you have anything you are concerned about breaking, try to pack those securely and inbetween items that cushion them for rides that are a little rougher, example Space Mountain.

Seen alot of great advice so far, and just wanted to add a little bit.

I was a College program custodian in Epcot World showcase, and I know that there were sharps containers in almost every closet, so if your daughter was to need to dispose of a needle in a park, if she gave it to a custodian they should be able to dispose of it safely :)

I was a College program custodian in Epcot World showcase, and I know that there were sharps containers in almost every closet, so if your daughter was to need to dispose of a needle in a park, if she gave it to a custodian they should be able to dispose of it safely :)

Wow! I never would have thought to ask about that!

Small note to mine: was costodian from jan 2011- sept 2011, but i'm sure the sharps are still there :)

This will be our first disney trip with 2 T1s, but even before i always had little ones and always had a pack with me. As a pp said just put it at your feet, or slip it around to your front. I would be too scared to leave supplies too far away also. The unexpected always seems to happen when you are least prepared!:crazy2:

I keep both my meter and supplies and insulin and supplies in eye glasses cases. I also carry a needle snipper with me that stores the needles

We got back a few weeks ago from our first trip since DD was diagnosed T1. I was able to take my bag on every ride, no problem at all. As a previous poster mentioned, a FRIO bag is a great investment. DD uses insulin pens, and it kept them at room temp all day, even though it was 90+ degrees everyday. Also, most restrooms in the parks now have sharps containers out in the open, so no need to ask a custodian to dispose of them for you. Have a great trip!

They actually placed sharps containers in all the restrooms since you finished your college program.
(Well, at least I can say all the Ladies Rooms and Companion Restrooms - I have not personally been in the men's rooms ;)

They actually placed sharps containers in all the restrooms since you finished your college program.
(Well, at least I can say all the Ladies Rooms and Companion Restrooms - I have not personally been in the men's rooms ;)

Ooooooooo Coolio :) I will check the make restrooms when I go in June :)

We will visit WDW for the first time since my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. She often drops low when we are on vacations and I am sure it will be the same there. I am worried that if I carry a small back pack for supplies, quick sugars, protein, insulin and testing supplies, I might not be allowed to ride some rides. Has anyone done this? I am scared if I leave it in a locker it might be too far away when she needs it!

We have been to Disneyland a few times and WDW once since my DD's Type 1 diagnosis. She now pumps. We have never had a problem taking a backpack on any ride with us. We carry emergency snacks, a FRIO pack with insulin, extra supplies, spare meter, etc. with us. I bought a small zip up toiletry bag for $1 at Target that I keep a spare inset, syringes, test strips, tapes, cartridge, wipes and glucagon in. We keep the small bag in our backpack. Never had any problems with going through security or getting on rides.

We make sure she checks her BGs more often than at home and we let her snack more than usual. The fresh fruit stands are great!

Have a great time!

DS13 is type 1 and we take a very small cooler w/ his insulin and a small bag w/ 2 or 3 infusion sets and an extra test kit and we leave that at first aid. (I usually put some needles in also just in case things really go wrong!) We always carry a backpack around the park and we just put some snacks (gummy snacks and cow tails) in there along w/ a test kit and keep that w/ us at all times. It's nice to be able to leave the insulin and extra supplies at the first aid, just in case we need them.

**Even when we go to Busch Gardens Wmsburg, they say they won't let you in line w/ a bag/backpack, but all we have to do is tell them it is medical supplies and they have to let you take it w/ you. The test kit and snacks are considered medical supplies.

Thank you all so much! You have put this T1mama's mind at ease! I have another question... She is going to start pumping in another 2 weeks! Super excited! Our endo said that the rides could screw with the omnipod a pdm. If you or your T1 pump have you experienced this? Calling the rep to double check.

things sure have changed since i became a diabetic 40 years ago! my parents brought me to WDW back then, and who would have thought we would be using pumps and testing our own blood sugars!!!( back then we could only check how we were doing by a urine test!)but what i do remember it was a special treat at WDW when I got to have a frozen banana covered in chocolate!!! sorry :offtopic: good luck with the pump and you will do fine down at WDW!!:)

Thank you all so much! You have put this T1mama's mind at ease! I have another question... She is going to start pumping in another 2 weeks! Super excited! Our endo said that the rides could screw with the omnipod a pdm. If you or your T1 pump have you experienced this? Calling the rep to double check.

I know with the pumps that use tubing, they recommend you disconnect the tubing on rides where you have G's, i.e. Rock N Roller Coaster, Everest, Tower of Terror, etc. They say the gravity could push extra insulin through the tube. On the tubeless, since there is no way to disconnect, you just need to watch for lows.

Personally, I haven't remembered on every big ride to disconnect, but DD's never had a problem and her pump has survived.

I've just started pumping via a medtronic, I want to know about the waterparks. I will have to disconnect as the pump isn't waterproof, but how long is it ok to come off the pump for.

Does anyone have any advise please?

Many thanks
Pauline

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter