Disney with toddlers -the good bad and ugly

Well, our situation was a little different since it sounds like you're only planning around one child. We have three with a 10 year age difference between oldest and youngest, so our touring plans were pretty much the same as they always are but with notes about places to take DD2 to play while we took turns taking the big kids on the rides. I think that's something I'm actually going to miss when DD2 gets big enough for all the rides - the kids got to ride everything twice because of the baby swap (once with me, once with DH)! But we also left things flexible, with a general plan that we knew wouldn't be followed to the letter.
Yup, DD is our only so far. So its going to be all about her on this trip. She is a pretty easy kid, except that she can't sleep on the go. I am thinking though that after a morning of dealing with my father (who has a lot in common with the 1-year-old sometimes :rolleyes: ) I will need to go back to the hotel for a break from him. :rotfl:

My DD is the same way, I think for the same reason. She's 10 years younger than DS and 7 younger than DD, and she's had no choice but to go with the flow, sleep in her stroller or the baby bjorn, learn to tune out background noise, etc. With the older kids, it seemed sometimes like she spent more of her first year at sports fields and scout meetings than at home. At two, she is the most laid back, flexible, go with the flow kid I've ever known - she doesn't cling to routines or get upset with changes, she very seldom has tantrums/meltdowns even when we have long days, and even though she is very busy and loves to run around, she listens well and enjoys restaurant meals.

Count me in as yet another lucky momma. In our case however it wasn't older siblings that required them to learn to be flexible but rather dh and I. We were older parents from the start (had my first at 38 and fourth and last at 44). Too set in our ways. We were always on the go and weren't interested in putting a halt to it all. They had no choice but to learn to go with the flow.

I honestly do think we have the most flexible, easy going kids I know.

Just have to wait and see what the teenage years bring:)

:rotfl: at number 1. OP are you sure you didn't take my 4 year old with you?

Here are a few of mine from trips passed.

1. When your child/ren are acting tired, slightly cranky, it might be time to take a park break. That means head straight to the hotel and collect your 200 disney bucks and mickey cookies at the desk. No more "one more ride.."! It will be so much better in the long run. If it is too cold/hot to swim, baths work wonders too.

2. If your toddler likes to play with lincoln logs.. do not let him see the table at WCC if you do not have time to play! My son saw these on the way to our table (it was there unbeknown to us), and would not stop crying that he wanted to play with them. Of course, he was barely three.. but nothing could get his mind off of it. Which upset our youngest, and had my DH and I trying to balance two children in the middle of dinner.

3. Baby carriers!

4. Beware of sugar overload. sometimes giving them everything they want in the magic kingdom can and often will backfire on you.

great thread....heading to WDW in May with DD3 and DS 20months....getting alot of great tips from you guys....keep em coming!!!

DD prolly won't be a problem...sleeps well in hotels (we travel alot) and does well in stroller...DS can be a lil stinker sometimes although he's getting better so hopefully by May he'll be better!!!

I will admit we are one of those families that enjoyed every minute of our time there. We really went with what worked for them at the time. We slept in each morning, had breakfast in our room and let them play...we arrived at the parks by 10 or 10:30. Everything went smoothly...no melt downs. On both trips the girls fell asleep in their strollers around 3:00 for an almost 2 hour nap. (The baby had a couple naps throughout the day) We would just take it easy, walk around, shop and have a snack. Then they were good to go all night. We would usually get back to the room by 10:00 -10:30, they would quickly fall asleep and we could relax for a bit before we went to bed. I think the key is that we never pushed it, relaxed and went withthe flow. Each child and family is different, so I think you just need to adapt to your own ways.

This is also what works for our 2 DD'sprincess:princess: If we stayed out late, then we made sure we did not wake them up early the next morning. We found that TS takes to long and they (and us) start getting antsy, so the only time we will need an ADR is if we want to do a character meal. We use to always have a schedule when we went to the parks and then one time we did a last minute trip and just winged it and we found that we enjoyed ourselves more. Our first trip as a family I found the DIS board and read that with a baby and strollers you need to be on the rail. So we ended up picking the POLY to stay at, we had a great time and enjoyed the resort very much. Of course even at the rail resorts you still need to take a bus to a couple of the parks and our first bus trip was not a good one, it's been 5 years and I still feel sorry for the folks around us:sad2: But then we got a routine and we learned that taking the bus with stroller(s) was not even close to the nightmare we read about:confused: Another thing we learned was how much more there is to the parks then the rides. At the much slower baby/toddler pace you see A LOT more, I still remember our 1st trip to MK as a new family and my DW and I saying stuff like "I never knew there were shops down the little side street", how long has that barber shop been there?", "they have a restuarant in the castle?"...

Here's a question that I haven't been able to find the answer to. We are staying at POR and our DD will be 23 months. We plan on eating breakfast in our room with food we bring/buy. I'm trying to think through every situation so I know what I'll need.

Can you bring food you haven't bought in the resort food court to a food court table and eat there using the high chair? Or do we need to pack some sort of portable booster seat for use in our room?

What did you guys do if you had a light breakfast in your room with a toddler?

TIA!

I'm thankful my youngest will be almost 3 when we take out trip. In fact, she is a week and 1/2 shy of being 3. Can you say FREE??

I think she will be alot more manageable at 3 then she is now too. Also, my 5 year old will be 6, which I think is a bit more tolerable.

Generally, they are both pretty well behaved, but my 2 yr old is on a regular nap schedule. I think I'll try to make her naps a little less "pleasant" as we near our trip. Like, making it a little lighter in her room and also no music, maybe a little more noise, etc.. to get her used to it!

Can you bring food you haven't bought in the resort food court to a food court table and eat there using the high chair? Or do we need to pack some sort of portable booster seat for use in our room?

TIA!

Yes. No one really cares what your kids are eating. :)

We took one of those portable booster seats and stuck DD in front of the tv on a chair while we got ready. Easy peasy!

So, DS turned 3 a few weeks ago and my husband lost his mind last night in a tax-return induced bout of temporary insanity and booked tix to Orlando for early June!! So we're giving it another try. DS is still active and strong-willed and a hot mess when he gets tired, but I think his ability to comprehend that we're somewhere fun and special will help him cooperate better this time around. And he's really digging the Disney characters and shows these days too, so he's excited about going.

I have to say though, it is hard to manage my expectations. I understand the point many posters have made about being happy with what you can get and not having high expectations. But you know, I wouldn't be spending the money and time going at all if I didn't have some expectations. So it's a challenge sometimes to keep a balance. There will always be other trips though, and that is how I am going to try to push through any unpleasantness. ;)

Keep your fingers crossed for us, and send us any pixie dust you might have lying around!

I know this is an old thread but I've enjoyed reading it. I'm leaving with my super active 20-month old DS on Thursday. It's not his first trip (we went at 12 months) but there's a big difference between 12 and almost 21.

My expectations are low - riding Dumbo and Peter Pan would be great - I know he will want to ride the carousel over and over again and I hope he still loves the characters (he did great with the Easter bunny!) I know he'll want to walk so I'm packing the leash and we are taking the stroller for him (his big comfy one). This is a short trip - only two parks - and we'll just see how it goes. We are planning on taking a resort break every day - hopefully to nap but if not, to just take a break from the craziness of the parks.

What a great thread!!! I read a bunch of posts and can't wait to read them all. I have 6 months left until we take our toddler to WDW!! :scared1:

Here's a question that I haven't been able to find the answer to. We are staying at POR and our DD will be 23 months. We plan on eating breakfast in our room with food we bring/buy. I'm trying to think through every situation so I know what I'll need.

TIA!

We brought a portable booster seat. This one to be exact. ww.amazon.com/Jeep-Travel-Anywhere-Booster-Everyday/dp/B002IVTUVE
It was perfect! It has an opening that can be used for diapers and wipes as well and can strap to the handles of the stroller. We used it in all the restaurants as well and he felt like a big boy and didn't try to climb out like he sometimes does in a high chair when he's done. It was fantastic!

thanks for the post. I am also taking my 21 month old next week. we also went for his one year birthday last year and it was completely magical. Completely. Can I tell you that the second he saw mickey mouse, it was like a WDW commercial was being filmed. I know he "wont remember it" but the memories we made are captured not only in photos but in my heart forever. Cant wait to take him next week and have very realistic expectations. DH and I have been to the parks w/o kids probably 12 times and that helps b/c we are very comfortable with everything and how the parks "work", takes away much of the unknown. My parents are coming with us this time and they havent been since the 80's (when they brought me) and epcot had JUST opened. Im excited to share the magic with them too. I will make an effort to post a report when I get back.

@Ana and Joseph : would love to hear about your trip. sounds like our sons are alike, mine also went at 12 months and now next week at 21months and no fear of characters of any kind, and I cried too when he first met mickey !

OP...I could have written your post! We took our then 15 month old in December, and I swear, it was so awful she's not going back until she is 15! Would NOT get in the stroller, wanted to run everywhere, refused to nap, they had unseasonably cold weather that week (even for December) and I came home ten times more anxious and cranky than I left. Definitely NOT a relaxing, magical vacation. DH and I said that this year, she doesn't get to go with us...we'll take her to the beach, but not WDW again.

Every family/child is definitely different but for us taking young children to Disney has not been a challenge at all.

We just returned from our third trip in three years and our kids were 6, 4 and 2 this trip. Our youngest was 5 months on our first trip and 14 months on our 2nd trip. We've really enjoyed all our trips and have not had any problems with our kids. On our past two trips we stayed in 2br condos and ate almost all our food there or brought it in with us and got the kids in bed almost every night at their normal 7pm bed time.

This trip though we stayed on property, all 5 of us in one little room at Pop Century. We stayed for 9 nights and didn't adhere at all to their regular sleep schedule, twice we stayed at MK until after midnite and most nights it was 10 or later before they were asleep, had the DxDP and ate at sit down restaurants 2 or 3x every day (we never eat out at home), and we still had a wonderful trip.

The biggest problem we had this time was that our 2yo really, really wanted to ride everything the 4 and 6 yo could but she wasn't tall enough and that made her upset. I think we might wait until she's tall enough for most of the rides before we plan another trip.

We took our DD last year at 1.5 yo. I was so nervous on what to expect. She is generally a good kid, but she is NON STOP from the second she opens her eyes until she crashes out. I did bring the stroller but I also brought my Ergo baby carrier which holds up to 40 lbs. I wasnt sure if I would need it, but I used it in the airport. The morning of MK we realized she was teething...yep...greaaaat. So I brought the Ergo just in case and I am SO glad we did. She wanted to be held the entire time so I would strap her on my back in the carrier and walk her around. This was a major benefit in ride lines. We waited 40 mins for Dumbo and it worked out well. It was pretty comfortable but after a day of walking with a 25 lb weight on my back I was getting sore.

This year we are going again and I think I am gonna have a harder time containing her either in the stroller or Ergo and she is now 2.5 yo and 30lbs. I am bringing the Ergo just in case. I atleast hope I can use it for the ride lines. Last yr we were pretty successful at riding on a lot of rides. We hit Dumbo, PeterPan, Smallworld, Philharmagic FP, Thunder Mountain 2x, Splash Mountain 2x, Haunted Mansion, Buzz, Pirates, Princess M&G, I think thats it. We got to the park at noon and left at 7...so I think we did pretty well after reading a lot of threads here. This year I have done MUCH more research on FP and baby swap and plan to take more advantage of those options and having runners. This year we will have 7 ppl and last yr we had 4 ppl. So organizing a plan will prob be more important.

Cheers to us parents who attempt the theme park with Toddlers!

We just returned from our first trip to Disney with our 20-month-old son. I read these boards a lot prior to coming, and I saw a lot of posts from people who, like me, were anxious about traveling with a young toddler. Therefore, I'm offering my experience with candor. Of course, each child is different, so please don't flame me if your experience was not the same. This is just one perspective. I know it sounds discouraging, but we really did have fun and are planning to return with him in a year or so. But the first 3-4 days were fraught with tears (his and mine), and I think he was generally overwhelmed by all of it and not really feeling the magic. If I had accepted a few truths beforehand, I think we could have made it a little easier on ourselves. So hopefully these points will help someone else:

1. Your child will behave at Disney like he does at home, so be prepared. Logically I knew this was true, but I was so excited for the Disney experience that I pretended he would be docile and just overwhelmed with joy to be doing whatever we wanted to do. Instead, I was upset and angry and embarassed when he consistently refused to get in his stroller at the parks without an epic struggle involving copious amounts of screeching and bucking like a bronco. He wanted to walk, but he can't endure all that yet, and besides, his version of "walking" was darting in and around the crowds at warp speed and trying to climb trash cans. This resulted in a lot of us carrying our 35-pound baby, which in turn exhausted us. This was stressful.

2. If your child doesn't nap during the day, you will have problems. we observed the mid-day retreat to the hotel for his regular nap, but the room just wasn't dark enough and he fought it and wouldn't go down. He did sleep briefly in the car coming and going. But he was not pleasant in the afternoon. Unfortunately, it was 35 degrees while we were there, so we couldn't have a relaxing pool afternoon.

3. Seriously consider a 1BR if you can afford it. We did this and it was money well spent with a very active boy who runs around every waking minute. The garden grocer delivery was also a good call. And the rental crib.

4. Some of the kids' rides are plain weird. Peter Pan incorporated dead pirates laying across the ship deck and even Winnie the Pooh has a strange psychadelic dream sequence that looks like Pooh ate some bad mushrooms. I don't understand this.

5. Some toddlers, like mine, cannot tolerate wait in line for more than 10 minutes. This means that even with expert fast pass usage, you might not get on more than 3 rides all day (and that's in low season).

6. Always carry a sippy cup. Some places, like the Hoop-de-doo Review (which he loved, by the way), don't even have lids. They served his milk in a giant glass bell jar. Not good.

7. Good stuff: he loved the actual rides when he was riding them. The carousel, Dumbo, Aladdin's carpets, Small World, Winnie the Pooh, it was all great. And he loved the character breakfast (or at least he didn't cry). He also loved the Hoop de Doo Review, I think because we were so close to the stage. We had some nice moments, but it wasn't easy.

OK, that's all I've got. Good luck to all you toddler travelers - have fun!

ok #4 really got me laughing! :lmao: i have yet to vist the World but i have seen videos. if i remember correctly that part is when Pooh is dreaming about honey, like a withdraw dream :lmao:

thanks for your input! we are taking our 4 kids next summer (ages 1, 2, 4, & 5) :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter