• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney with food allergies!

dontthrowsand

Mouseketeer
Hello! My first thread on the forums!

I am making my first non family trip with my boyfriend and a friend to WDW in August and we are staying at a resort (they are surprising me as I have never stayed on site before). I am very excited but slightly concerned, I have severe seafood allergies.

They made our Dining reservations already and I believe they noted it and selected places with lots of choices for me. I was just wondering how accommodating Disney is to allergies? I sometimes have to get up and leave restaurants because of the smell and have had to go to the hospitals.

Has anyone had any experience with allergies at Disney?

When I was younger, my parents took care of everything and we ate at our condo a lot or brought food.

You will be very happy with the results. Just make sure your reservations are marked with your food allergy. Once you arrive, confirm the food allergy note with the host/hostess. Once seated, ask to speak with chef if they do not offer He/she will work with you to make sure you are absolutely safe. Visit our website for some other tips. When you get back, please stop by the site and submit a review.

As long as you plan ahead and work with the chef (or Quick Service Manager) you will be very satisfied with your vacation to Disney.

Another option is to order your meals vegan. I was looking at the Dining Thread and several people mentioned they themselves or their children have food allergies and they order all meals/snacks vegan. If vegan food is a no go for you that's understandable, I just thought I'd give you another option.

Good advice...in addition to telling them upon check-in be sure the slip they use to seat you is stampled in red Food Allergy..The Chef:cool1: will come out and speak to you. If its a buffet they will walk with you explaining all items you can have and items to avoid including anything that might be made off site. They always have things they can bring in or make special to accodate you. My dd14 had a tree nut allergy and they are wonderful. Another friend has a dd13 and she has celiacs disease and she loves Disney its the one place she can eat so many things and special items made just for her.:thumbsup2 So many place aren't accommodating. We were of group of 14 out to breakfast in the Outer Banks. It was like moving mountains to see if they could clean a grill and make a batch of pancakes not contaminated so my daughter could eat. She was willing to eat snacks from the car and I wasn't going to eat as I felt bad. Then they told us they could do it, it took a little while but we were happy to wait. Traveling abroad was terrible. They just don't guarantee anything or even try to accommodate you. :scared1:

There is lots of allergy info on the disability boards. The posters over there can tell you the steps you need to take and which restaurants to avoid.

I noted in your comment that even the smell of seafood can send you to a hospital. Personally I would check the menus at every single ressie made and make sure there is not any strong fish or seafood smells on the menu. In my experience, Disney is very accommodating as far as what a person can and can't eat. However, scents in the air are fairly uncontrollable when a restaurant is cooking fish and seafood. . .

thanks for the advice. it looks like the large majority of places i can go and I will double check the food allergy stamp. We're avoiding a few places and the couple of places the guys want to go, I am going to skip out on and head back to the resort or grab something somewhere I know I can eat.

I also am stocking up on Benadryl this trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter