Disney with an ADHD child....

Wouldn't do the full days. That's a long day for any kid but harder with ADHD, no matter how much they like Disney or Star Wars. I recommend building in some kind of downtime mid-day, something unstructured without any waiting (swimming, playing in sand, watching cartoons at hotel, etc). Have a good trip!

My six year old has many of the same issues. He had a huge meltdown at Jedi Training 2 years ago. He got scared and backed out, then had a fit when he realized he wasn't going to be able to fight Darth Vader after all. But we went again last year, and he did great and loved it.

I think planning is really important. I think you'll find that he does better this time since he's been exposed to it before. And you know him and what kinds of attractions he likes vs. ones that might not bring out the best in him. And when you sense that he is done for the day, don't try to do more. Get back to the hotel for down time. Make sure he isn't hungry, thirsty, or tired. Schedule in lots of breaks and just free time to play.

On our last trip, the only true fit he had was about souvenirs. Our rule has always been that you can have one souvenir on the last day of the trip. Previously, this has not been a problem. But for some reason, he just had to have his light saber on day 2. He ran screaming from me to the gift shop. I had to hold him in full view of everyone for about 15 minutes until he calmed down. It was awful.

The rest of the trip was great though. He tried lots of rides that he previously thought were too scary, and handled long lines and minor disappointments pretty well. Did we get to do 100% of what we wanted to? No, but there will always be a next trip!

Kellykins1218 said:
I sent you a PM :thumbsup2

Thank for staring! I sent you an email but your server rejected it because I'm not on your accepted senders list. :(

PatsMom said:
For SWW be prepared for massive crowds - and I mean massive! The last time we were there for SWW, they closed the park to non-WDW guests. People were parking at Epcot, walking through the park, then over the walkway to get to the studios. Once inside, it was gridlock. We were there mostly because my daughter wanted to see what it was like. And I work with a huge Star Wars fan and I told him I would try to get him a special pin or coffee cup. The line for the special merchandise was over an hour long.

Lines for the character pictures were also huge. There are no fast passes for those. But if you son is at all like my niece, he might wait in the lines. My niece is pretty severely ADHD - medication helps but it isn't perfect as you know. But she really, really wanted to meet the Fairies. The line was posted as 45 minutes. I told her I was going to be pretty annoyed if we waited almost an hour and I had to remove her because she was acting up. Much to my surprise, she was very good in line. A little fidgety but nothing out of the ordinary! That was my first experience with her wanting something badly enough that she would do whatever it took to get it! Your son might be like that if he really wants a picture with Chewbacca!

If you go early, you should be able to do some things before the park gets mobbed. Then you could leave early and take advantage of your hotel pool, etc and go back on the next day for more.

Good luck and I hope you have a good trip.

Wow, and we're also going Memorial Day Weekend (20-27th). We won't be doing the celebrity lines, and I only plan on waiting on lines where he insists he wants a photo and autograph - and Boba Fett! I want my Boba Fett pic :)

We plan on getting there before open to see the Stormtroopers and possibly sign up for JTA so he can possibly fight Darth Maul (his favorite).

I've been considering the stroller with a seat since we have our 1 year old as well. Just don't know how a 7 yer old will take to that yes.

Thank you all so much once again for the wealth of advice.

LoKiHB said:
Wow, and we're also going Memorial Day Weekend (20-27th). We won't be doing the celebrity lines, and I only plan on waiting on lines where he insists he wants a photo and autograph - and Boba Fett! I want my Boba Fett pic :)

We plan on getting there before open to see the Stormtroopers and possibly sign up for JTA so he can possibly fight Darth Maul (his favorite).

I've been considering the stroller with a seat since we have our 1 year old as well. Just don't know how a 7 yer old will take to that yes.

Thank you all so much once again for the wealth of advice.

In past years, Boba swaps out with Jango and can be difficult to anticipate, and they may swap while you're in line. If Boba is that important, be prepared for that possibility.

mesaboy2 said:
In past years, Boba swaps out with Jango and can be difficult to anticipate, and they may swap while you're in line. If Boba is that important, be prepared for that possibility.

Thanks Mesaboy. But Boba Fett is for me. Lol. I plan on doing that wait myself!!!

I've been there.

I had success with using a DS or ipod during lines or other wait times. My suggestion is to bring some new games and activities that he has never seen before, and dole them out over the course of your stay. Don't let him see them before you get there if you want the full benefit of this tip.

Also bring some snacks to enjoy during the lines that you don't normally allow them to have. I don't suggest a bunch of high sugar snacks, but some extra special fruit snacks, or fruit rollups that they don't normally get because they're too expensive, and any other treat that falls into that category. That will also buy some happiness during the lines.

I agree with others about a routine and that you're more likely to enjoy your trip if everyone isn't exhausted all the time. Plan some down time at the resort. The pool is a great energy buster, and gives you some breathing space as well. After a couple of hours at the pool, some chill time watching cartoons, or taking a little nap will get everyone refreshed and ready for another round at the parks.

I pair baby steps with small rewards, i.e. "if you are quiet and respectful while we're in this line, you'll earn a Mickey bar when we get off of the ride." The reward can vary, and can be as small as a piece of gum or as large as one of the games you're hoarding. Just one step at a time, and it's more manageable for both of you. The most important part of this tip is that you follow through, not only with the reward, but with WITHHOLDING the reward if he actually doesn't earn it. If you give in and give him the reward when he throws a fit about not getting it, you'll lose any leverage you might have the next time you offer a reward based upon good behavior.

Good luck. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter