Disney with a Senior

kristenelizabethsmom

Earning My Ears
My family is bringing my grandmother with us on this trip. She is really looking forward to it, but I would like to plan some activities that she would really enjoy. I would also like someone with first hand knowledge to tell us how comfortable and accessable some of the rides are for people in wheelchairs. Thanks to everybody who are answering my many questions.

Hi "mom" and welcome to the DIS! I think the DisAbilities Board would be the best place to find the answers to your questions. I will move this over there for you and you may check that board for any replies. Good luck.

<font color=red>
Carol</font>

<font color=blue>Co-Moderator - Theme Park Attractions and Strategies Board</font>
<font color=red>Co Moderator - Cruise Board</font>
<font color=blue>Co-Moderator - DVC Board</font>
<font color=red>Cruise and DVC Chat Host</font>

WELCOME!!! Im Wheelsie Co-Moderator of disABILITIES!! WDW is very accessible....and then sometimes not LOL.....but your Gramma will have no problems....at Guest Service in every park (and in your resort if your staying on site) you can ask for Guidebooks for Guest w Disabilities... I personally am in a wheelchair...have been all my life (Im 26) I have Spina Bifida...so I know all the rides that can and cant be rode while in a chair....altho I cant walk so I cant say how any transferring rides might be for an older person.....Im sure more people will give you answers.....we love to empart our knowledge and tips to everyone who asks! :) and again...WELCOME!!!

Wheelsie Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
and
DisneyTips
wheelsie@mail.wdwinfo.com

cokewheelin.gif

The big question will be does she need to remain in the wheelchair or can she take a few steps to transfer to a ride vehicle. Of course there are some rides she will be able to remain in the chair. All the shows allow you to remain in the chair. Also how much supoort she needs in transferring. Just you, you and another family member or can she do it herself. Then make a game plan. Rides that take a wheelchair in MK are Small World and Pooh. Carosel of Progress, Lion King Show, Country Bear all have spots for wheelchairs. Castle Forecourt Shows you find your own spot. Handicapped seating areas in 3 lacations for parades. Best spot for fireworks and the night parade is at the Hub where all the lands come together.

EPCOT has more handicapped accessible rides, In the Big Ball you access through the back and the will being the wheelcahir right to the ride vehicle if necessary for you to transfer. Some places you miss part of the ride like Living Seas.

Studios is very accessible especially the shows. They seem to park ECV at the top level but when I protested they allowed me to take my power chair to the handicapped seating in the front area, They often assume my power chair is an ECV as it doesn't have a speciality seat,

AK, the only ride I have not done is Dinosaurs. My kids previewed it and deemed it too rough for my back. The Safari has a spot for a wheelchair. Kali Rapids you must transfer but they have an area for the handicapped to get on where the raft is brought to a complete stop. You may get very wet. Shows all accessible.

Have not been to the water parks. BUrn too easy anyway so go to the hotel pool in the evening.

Pooh

Welcome to disABILITIES. I'm the other Moderator of the Board. My dd can't walk or stand without complete support and has ridden everything in WDW except Space Mountain, BTMR and the RockNROller Coaster. I also travel with my MIL and FIL who are getting u p their in years.
Click here for a Mobility Information page on the DIS site. If you scroll all the way down, it gives you a list of rides where you can stay in a wheelchair for the whole ride, w hich ones you need to transfer out, etc.
You can also go to the official Disney site, look at and download a copy of the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park. Click here for that link. If the link doesn't work, go to disney.go.com and enter "wheelchair" in the search area. That should bring you what you need.
Some of the rides are very turbulant. To get into the ride car is like getting into a jeep. The ride itself is what my dd calls a "Grandma all finished ride", what she signs to indicate one that her grandma would not like becasue it is too wild. When you look at the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilites, it does tell you a little about the ride, like is it slow moving or bumpy and if they do not recommend it for people with heart, blood pressure or back/neck problems.
You might want to ask specicfic questions here about rides you are interested in. That way, you will have info about the things you need info about. Anyway, feel free to ask more questions.æ

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter