Disney with a baby

littlelambie

Mouseketeer
We have recently found out that we are expecting #2 in Sept. My ds is 5, and him and I were planning a DLR trip with my parents and sister for May of 2008. My baby will be about 9 mths old. The youngest ds ever was at DLR was 2.5 yrs. What are some helpful tips for doing Disney with a baby?

I have heard of people mailing a box of diapers to their hotel. Has anyone ever done this?

With my parents there, I know I will still be able to do the bigger rides with ds, but what rides did you take your baby on? I will still be nursing, but besides that, what have you done for food? I will make my own baby food at home, but will not be able to fly any down with us.

Thanks for all your help!!

We have recently found out that we are expecting #2 in Sept. My ds is 5, and him and I were planning a DLR trip with my parents and sister for May of 2008. My baby will be about 9 mths old. The youngest ds ever was at DLR was 2.5 yrs. What are some helpful tips for doing Disney with a baby?

Done it a bunch at 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 11 months. For me it's not really been a problem at all and that is with 2 older siblings along also and no DH! Now I have to say that personally, the 8 and 10 month trips were the worst so you are taking new baby at my least favorite time to take them. 2, 3, and 4 months was a breeze, you nurse on Pirates, Small World, Railroad, baby is happy to be held, they sleep wherever they are with no problems, and they don't touch all the germy stuff (highchairs, etc) yet so it's pretty safe. All they come into contact with is me.

At 9 months they are usually crawling and wanting to get down a lot and that makes it challenging. You really have to find spots where it's okay to let them spend some energy. Me being one that doesn't let my baby crawl on public floors makes it hard. I did let him crawl around a bit in Playhouse Disney, but other than that he was kinda stuck which made for a long 4 days. That said, it is totally do-able and hopefully you will have a content stroller lover like my first two!!!

I have heard of people mailing a box of diapers to their hotel. Has anyone ever done this?

I don't bother, I just pack about 5 for each day and I've never had a problem. If I was going for more than 4 days or flying, I might just go to Target down the street when I got there. But for me, putting 20-25 in my bag is no big deal.

With my parents there, I know I will still be able to do the bigger rides with ds, but what rides did you take your baby on? I will still be nursing, but besides that, what have you done for food? I will make my own baby food at home, but will not be able to fly any down with us.

My kids went on anything that didn't have a height requirement, and no Autopia because they have to be one year! Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, all of Fantasyland, Buzz, etc. my babies all went on just fine! You really only can't take them on the Mountains and Indy. CA was Bug's Land, Monsters, Golden Zephyr, and Carousel. There are the few big ones there that you can't but baby swap is great!

For food, all of my kids had lots of teeth (atleast 8) by 9 months so they were eating chicken breast, fruit plates, pizza and soft pretzels and stuff that I ate. If you need baby food, I would run to Target or it is available (limited) at the baby center and you could buy some there. I just made sure I ordered something the baby could eat!

Thanks for all your help!!

You will have a wonderful time, take lots of pictures and the characters always gave the baby TONS of attention. It was awesome!!

Andrea

BTW, Sorry I forgot but Congratulations!!!

Forgot to add, things that make it easier (for me) It may not make a difference for you that much since it seems you will have a few extra pairs of hands, but here goes:

1. Staying across the street so I don't have to deal with shuttles and the stroller, kids, and all the stuff in the baskets. Also works for those quick trips back where you forgot something, need yet another outfit, etc.

2. I prefer table service to counter because it's hard to balance the tray, push the stroller/hold the baby, pay for the food, keep track of the other kids, etc. It's easier to have someone wait on us and I can sit and feed the baby if I need to.

3. Nursing on rides is a great way to keep the older one entertained and still take care of the babies needs. Pirates, Small World, Railroad, any shows like Muppets, etc, are great for nursing where everyone is facing the same way and no one knows what you are up to. Not that I care that much, but it jsut makes it a little easier, plus you get to enjoy the ride with your family instead of sitting out.

4. I take lots of little baggies of snacks at that age, cheerios, fruit puffs, etc that I can just pull out quick to buy a few more minutes in the stroller.

5. A carrier or a sling is great and will allow you to hop on a few rides even if baby is sleeping on you. Some you will have to have the baby facing forward, or like teacups they have to sit next to you, but quite a few you can just hop on with baby still in carrier.

6. The baby center is great but not always convenient to get to. Also you can't take your 5 year old in the nursing room with you so make sure you leave him with others or you can't utilize the room. (technically you could, but I wouldn't leave my five year old in the other room while I did, I wouldn't be able to relax.)

7. Have fun and do what you can do. If you had a choice to go when the baby is smaller, more portable and not so anxious to explore, I would say whole heartedly to take it. But if this your only time frame, you will be fine and you will be in good company as there are tons of babies there of all ages. The good news is that usually they aren't afraid yet of the dark rides so you can hit everything without worrying at all.

Okay I've rambled on enough. Let me know if you have any other questions!

BTW, Sorry I forgot but Congratulations!!!

Forgot to add, things that make it easier (for me) It may not make a difference for you that much since it seems you will have a few extra pairs of hands, but here goes:

1. Staying across the street so I don't have to deal with shuttles and the stroller, kids, and all the stuff in the baskets. Also works for those quick trips back where you forgot something, need yet another outfit, etc.

2. I prefer table service to counter because it's hard to balance the tray, push the stroller/hold the baby, pay for the food, keep track of the other kids, etc. It's easier to have someone wait on us and I can sit and feed the baby if I need to.

3. Nursing on rides is a great way to keep the older one entertained and still take care of the babies needs. Pirates, Small World, Railroad, any shows like Muppets, etc, are great for nursing where everyone is facing the same way and no one knows what you are up to. Not that I care that much, but it jsut makes it a little easier, plus you get to enjoy the ride with your family instead of sitting out.

4. I take lots of little baggies of snacks at that age, cheerios, fruit puffs, etc that I can just pull out quick to buy a few more minutes in the stroller.

5. A carrier or a sling is great and will allow you to hop on a few rides even if baby is sleeping on you. Some you will have to have the baby facing forward, or like teacups they have to sit next to you, but quite a few you can just hop on with baby still in carrier.

6. The baby center is great but not always convenient to get to. Also you can't take your 5 year old in the nursing room with you so make sure you leave him with others or you can't utilize the room. (technically you could, but I wouldn't leave my five year old in the other room while I did, I wouldn't be able to relax.)

7. Have fun and do what you can do. If you had a choice to go when the baby is smaller, more portable and not so anxious to explore, I would say whole heartedly to take it. But if this your only time frame, you will be fine and you will be in good company as there are tons of babies there of all ages. The good news is that usually they aren't afraid yet of the dark rides so you can hit everything without worrying at all.

Okay I've rambled on enough. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks so much for all your help!! We have been 3 times with ds, so I am pretty familiar with the parks, but going with some one so young will be a new experience for me. We are planning on staying at the BWPPI, we have stayed there in the past, and found it had the best breakfast. How hard was it for you to get to the Target? We won't have a car. I never though about nursing on the rides, great tip!! My dad has MS, and we will be renting him a scooter, so we will be taking it pretty slow anyway. Have you ever borrowed a crib from one of the hotels? Well, I think that is all for now, but I will definately get in touch with you when more questions arise. We haven't told anyone yet, I am sure they will all be shocked at our newest tag-a-long!!:rotfl2: I think the only thing that will change with the plans everyone is making is that my mom and dad might stay in their own room instead of with me and ds, now that I will also have the baby. I think 5 people plus a crib and a scooter will be too much for all to handle!! Did you ever give your kids gravol at a young age when flying? We have given it to ds, and it has been a life saver, but he was almost 3 the 1st time. If we fly straight through, it would be about 5 hrs.

Thanks again for all your help!

My dd was almost four months old last time we went. I took her on everything that they would let me take her on.

Pretty much everything in fantasy land, Pooh, pirates, etc. She had no problem. She just sort of sat there like a blob and stared at everything.:lol

Thanks so much for all your help!! We have been 3 times with ds, so I am pretty familiar with the parks, but going with some one so young will be a new experience for me. We are planning on staying at the BWPPI, we have stayed there in the past, and found it had the best breakfast.

Oh good. We usually do the Desert Inn and Suites, same distance just the other side of the crosswalk. They have rooms that I get from $89-$129 a night that have 4 queen beds and 2 bathrooms, so that might work if you all want to be in the same room but not.
How hard was it for you to get to the Target? We won't have a car.

Well you would have to take a taxi, or you could set it up with a grocer to have the stuff delivered right to your hotel room. You could do diapers, bottled waters, snacks, juice, etc and they will bring it to your room. There is a minimum ($40) I think, but that is not hard to hit with diapers involved!

I never though about nursing on the rides, great tip!! My dad has MS, and we will be renting him a scooter, so we will be taking it pretty slow anyway. Have you ever borrowed a crib from one of the hotels? Well, I think that is all for now, but I will definately get in touch with you when more questions arise. We haven't told anyone yet, I am sure they will all be shocked at our newest tag-a-long!!:rotfl2: I think the only thing that will change with the plans everyone is making is that my mom and dad might stay in their own room instead of with me and ds, now that I will also have the baby. I think 5 people plus a crib and a scooter will be too much for all to handle!!

If you do stay at BWPPI, I think two rooms would be best. Maybe you could try like above so that you wouldn't need two completely seperate rooms. They have one that has a parlor room in front that is great for parking the stroller (or your scooter) and I fit in a Pack N Play no problem. I rented a crib once and decided to bring the Pack and Play after that. My son always smooshes into the corner and he kept hitting his head on the metal bars all night waking himself up. I got way more sleep when I brought our comfy bed! But my friends son had no problems in a crib so it will all depend on your baby and their comfort level.

Did you ever give your kids gravol at a young age when flying? We have given it to ds, and it has been a life saver, but he was almost 3 the 1st time. If we fly straight through, it would be about 5 hrs.

That's a long flight. We flew 4 hours to MI with the kids, and will be doing it again in August. We haven't ever given any meds and knock on wood, my kids did fine. But I would if I had ot to make them comfortable. 5 hours is a long flight, are you going during the day or a red-eye?

Thanks again for all your help!

No problem at all! How exciting, we never told anyone till I was 13 weeks because it was hard for us to get and stay pregnant. It's kinda fun to keep it to yourself for a while, but I am sure they will be thrilled! Babies make Disney so much fun! The more the merrier!

Andrea

Congratulations!

I've done the baby thing several times. When I worked at WDW I thought bringing babies to the park was cruel because they always seemed unhappy and never remembered it anyway. I was 19 then and didn't have kids plus it was summer in FL(UGGH). While I didnt take my first born I did take my son several times. We just couldnt stay away from DL and why deprive my 2 1/2 year old just because her brother was born.

Anyway, usually I'm a go-getter in the parks and do everything very aggressively but I actually enjoyed coming back to the baby center every now and then to change diaper and nurse. Plus it gave Dh a chance to further bond with dd. I just took my time and via cell phone met up with them later. One hint about nursing on POTC, make sure if they have teeth to start after the drops......learned from that one the hard way.:rotfl:

We stayed across the street so I could walk back with naps if necessary. This was more important as he got a little older. Before 7 months he was content to sleep in the stroller.

We've had a blast and it's neat to see the pictures of him growing up at Disneyland!

The dark rides are great for nursing, too.

I nursed all over the place at DL. She is my third, so I had it down (no skin showing, certainly not as much as some of the women I've seen with low-cut tops, but of course there are always people that are just bothered at the *thought* that you might be, *gasp*, feeding your baby with your breasts!).

You'll have so many adults in your party, that trading off, or doing parent switch will be a breeze for you.

I did WDW with an 11 month old. I spent a lot of time in Fantasyland and Toontown. But, you can also do rides that aren't wild - i.e. Jungle Cruise in other parts of park. And, DL isn't that big - I would definitely use the baby center even if you have to walk a little. It is very comfortable. And, while some of their supplies were a bit expensive it made it easy not to have to carry everything or to stock up if I needed something unexpectedly.

We took DS when he was 10 months old. We just made sure we let him nap when he needed too, in the stroller or back at the room. He wan't fully walking yet, more stumbling, but had the idea so he wanted to test his shoes as often as he could. We took a thin blanket with us that folded small but still big enough for DS to sit on and walk if he wanted. We took a few toys but not many because he was bored with them. I remember buying him a back scratcher (the only thing we could find that was safe) to play with and he loved it. He loved Mickey and the bright colors.

As for food, I did a bunch of pre-made/pre-packaged stuff. I too made almost all of DS babyfood but on trips like this I would just buy some so I didn't have to worry about refridgeration, etc. I got those take and toss bowls and cleaned and cut about 3-4 bowls each of grapes, watermelon, honey dew...different fruits. Cheese sticks are easy. Each morning I would cut one up into tiny bites and put in a on the go bowl. Yo-Baby yogurt is great to have and easy to take as they are portioned sized already. For snacks, I would take bread and cut it into strips, dry it in the oven for an hour and then they have breadsticks, great for teethers to naw on. Other snacks, crackers, gerber puffs, cheerios, etc. For lunch, we would take a piece of bread, cut it in half so the peice are really skinny and melt a piece of cheese in it and maybe a slice of deli meat. The cheese will hold it together so you can dut it up into tiny bite sizes. Again put it in a toss bowl and you're good to go. I took oatmeal packets for breakfast and at that time DS would still let me sneak in a jar of baby veggies in it. (gross I know, but he loved it!) The reason I took the toss bowls is so DS could hold it and feed himself. I always kept the bowls and reused them. Hmmmm, trying to think of other things... Each morning we would pack a small insulated ice chest (8"x8") with enough food for the day so we were set and didn't have to worry about finding friendly food for him. Your child may be too young for some of this stuff, it all depends on the child.

I was also half nursing so I took a bottle and some of those 4oz travel packs of formula that we could mix up in a moments notice. We packed more diapers than needed, just in case because we didn't want to go offsite to buy more.

We took DS on all sorts of rides, including POTC and HM. He was fine. The go gaget coasters were the only one I think I wished we hadn't taken him on because they are sort of jerky.

They also have the baby stations in DL and DCA if you need them they come in handy!

We took our DD at 10 months - (it was right after 9/11 and we had a free trip, and couldn't bear to leave her alone, so we chose DL) and it was an absolute breeze. Everyone has pretty much covered all of the basics - I definitely agree to go with a pack and play - we attempted a crib and as soon as we saw it there was NO WAY our child was going in there. Another thing to keep in mind is if your child has a binky - bring some sort of clip and about five extras!!!! We were binky chasing out of the stroller the whole time - ended up at the baby center, but they didn't have the right size - we ended up with way big ones that cost a ton that she didn't like - so if the baby has a binky - bring many extras!!! Our DD was terrified of the characters - so we kept her away - but she loved the rides and just checking out all the sights from her stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter