Disney with a 6 month old

Parrafamily2010

Earning My Ears
Hello, I am new to this board. I am a frequent Disney visitor, but this is my 1st visit with my 6 month old daughter that was more than a day or 2. My husband & I will be arriving on a Sunday and his older children (9&13) will join us on weeks end.

Any tips or suggestions for surviving the park with a little one. Last time we took her she was merely 5 months old & slept the whole time. She is more awake and loves Mickey.

This is definitely a new cup of tea for me... I am used to doing Disney with older kids.... not a baby :)

Jennifer Parra

If she's really only 6 months I think its not that bad of an age. Does she sleep in a stroller? If she does then find a nice place to chill for a ferw hours while she naps at the park or plan on slowly walking from place to place. If she doesn't then you really have to plan on a visit back to the room for a nap. A tired baby is an unhappy baby:guilty: and usually makes for stressed parents.:scared1:.

When our kids were <1 we would take them on most of Fantasyland rides. When not riding they would like to people watch and ride the boat back to TTC. Once they can walk its a different story.

I hope you have fun!

We took DD at 6 months and it was a lot easier than I planned for. Here is what we did, hopefully some of the suggestions work for you too!

1. Disposable everything!
We used the Playtex Drop-In system down there and it was a dream. We could toss out the used liner, rinse off the nipple, keep it in a ziplock until we could wash it. We also took a Munchkin bottle drying rack (Target ~ $7), a bottle brush, and dish soap in a travel container to keep in our hotel room. We worked off a rotation of 6 nipples (3 for in the park, 3 for the room and swapped them out on breaks). We took our formula AND cereal in those little 3 chamber thingies and again refilled at break.
Disposable spoons, bowls, bibs, and changing table covers were great. We would use them and toss them so we weren't hauling dirty stuff in our diaper bag.
2. We split our baby's time between the stroller and a baby backpack. Believe it or not, she got sick of the stroller after so long.
3. Fireworks didn't go over well. She didn't like the sound.
4. We took our own crib sheet to use in the borrowed pack n play. It was an old one, we just left it behind when we came home.
5. Full brimmed hat, sunscreen (for the face)
6. Take your time. If your LO is getting overwhelmed, duck into a longer attraction for some (possible) A/C and a good rest. The train, riverboat, HoP, CoP, Tiki Room, etc are all great for this.
7. DD sat and watched Monster's Inc Laugh Floor and was actually part of the show. :)
8. Know where your baby care centers are in each park.

That's all I can think of right now. I agonized before our trip - I was so nervous of how she'd handle the parks and the characters and she did a lot better than I planned for. All of the characters were great with her. They were very gentle and moved quietly around her. I have a great series of pictures with her and Mickey at Ohana! Goofy at AK came over to her (I didn't take her out of the stroller at the character spots b/c I was afraid she'd get scared) but Goofy came over to her stroller, croutched down to her level and waved to her. I thought it was pretty cool.

We took our 6 month old a couple of months ago and she had a great time! Make sure you take time to get in some naps for the baby - if they aren't a good stroller napper you'll have to go back to the hotel. It makes a HUGE difference. My daughter isn't a great stroller napper but we tried to push our luck the first couple of days and we learned pretty quickly we needed to take the rest at the hotel.

She LOVED the characters and especially the Enchanted Tiki Room and the Lion King show at Animal Kingdom. She went NUTS over all the lights & animals!

Thank you everyone. I am looking forward to it. I appreciate all the tips & suggestions. I will post after we return to let you know how it went :)

:wizard:
Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter