Disney Wilderness Preserve. What's it like??

twotime

Earning My Ears
Hello All. I hope this is a good forum to post this question.

I'll be in Orlando for 11 days in between March and April. I really would like to see some natural sites of Florida. I don't know what Florida is like. I just envision swamp land and everglades. It would be super cool to see something like this.
The Problem is I will be staying near Disney for the entire duration of my stay and don't want to overnight it at some place far.

Is this Disney Wilderness Preserve worth a visit. What's it like? Will I see swamp and everglades (don't know what everglades are)? Are there hiking trials, airboat ride etc?

It doesn't have to be this particular preserve. Anyplace to see natural florida. But it has to be day trips from Orlando.

Btw, people tell to do a drive towards the florida keys. Realisticlly is it doable for a day trip??

Any input would be appriciated. Thanks.

The preseve does have trails and a lake, there was a brief artcile on it in the last Backpacker magazine. The Keys probably a five hour drive from Disney. Myaka River State park, near Sarasota has some good trails, lake, wildlife. I did a short backpacking trip there several years ago, ran into a wild hog and the trail sometimes involved a little wading, but just ankel deep water in parts. Everglades City is on the west coast, where you canoe rent canoes. The first mile or two is across a bay, before you get to mangrove islands and the Lopaz "river". I think I would try Myaka for a taste of Florida "wilds". It would be doable for a long day trip.
TomM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter