• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney While Pregnant - A few Questions

Jenw83

Earning My Ears
We'll be going to WDW from October 25-31. It will be me, DH and our four kids ages 9, 5, 4, and 1. I'll be 31 into 32 weeks pregnant while we're there. I'm trying to decide how I want to approach this and would like some input...

I can borrow an electric scooter like the ones WDW rent out from my mother (it was my grandfather's, and he passed away in 2011 so it's sitting in her storage building) and she can even loan us an attachment that fits on to the trailer hitch of our car so we could transport it easily. I swell very, very easily while pregnant--we went to the beach earlier this month and just from the five hour drive my ankles were bigger than my calves. If we bring our own, I'm not sure if we will be able to stay on property---it's not like I necessarily need it to get around, it'll just be there to make life easier, so I'd feel stupid having to bring it on the Disney bus--especially since it takes a lot of room and hassle to get it on and off. But if we park at the ticket & transportation center I think I'd have the same problem getting it anywhere. Would it be easier, at that point, to just rent one from the parks? But then I'd feel like it would be unfair to a person with an *actual* disability who may need one. Or I could just walk it and hope for the best. What would you do?

What rides are off limits to an expectant mother? We usually only go to MK and Epcot because those are our kids' favorite parks. I know Splash/Space Mountain and BTMR are off limits, which is fine because DH can take our oldest and my other kids prefer low-key rides. At Epcot, I know Test Track is a no-no. What about Mission Space (green, not orange?) and Soarin? I don't remember MS:G being anything intense--and that's the one my 9 year old prefers, but I've never ridden Soarin' (lines are always too long--we usually go around Christmas, but this year I'm due 12/25).

Can anyone think of any tips that would make the trip more pleasant? I'm not worried about pre-term labor or anything--my other four kids were induced past my due date with very little progress having been made, and I have very ordinary and uncomplicated pregnancies. My OB says that the trip should be fine (unless something changes between now and then) and that his only recommendation is to drink a lot of water and make a lot of stops along the drive (We're 13-14 hours away).

Anyone who went to Disney at this point of their pregnancy and had a great time and would like to tell me that it'll all be ok would be great too. :) Changing when we go isn't really an option because of school schedules, the only other time they have off is Mardi Gras break the first week of March and not only will crowds be higher, but I think the weather would be more unpredictable and I'm not sure how I'd feel with a 2 month old at WDW--the earliest we've brought a child was at 4 months--especially also having a child who will only be 19 months old in March.

Lastly, can anyone tell me what to expect with the weather and crowds the last week of October?

We went in December 2010 with my wife at 33 or 34 weeks. we just moved a little slower and a couple of days she headed back to the resort for a rest, which was fine with our 2 y/o.

She avoided: Test Track, Thunder, Splash, Space, Everest, Dinosaur, ToT and RnR, but the time everyone else spent on those rides was a good chance for her to rest.

Soarin was just fine, as was the Safari (even though the official warning says otherwise). I think the only thing she rode that was uncomfortable was the Astro Orbiter. We were pretty crammed.

We searched the dis boards and read lots of threads before we went about other people's experiences.

As for weather, pretty close to what you experience in the Double L. Definitely better than what we've got outside right now. :sick:

Jenw83 said:
We'll be going to WDW from October 25-31. It will be me, DH and our four kids ages 9, 5, 4, and 1. I'll be 31 into 32 weeks pregnant while we're there. I'm trying to decide how I want to approach this and would like some input...

I can borrow an electric scooter like the ones WDW rent out from my mother (it was my grandfather's, and he passed away in 2011 so it's sitting in her storage building) and she can even loan us an attachment that fits on to the trailer hitch of our car so we could transport it easily. I swell very, very easily while pregnant--we went to the beach earlier this month and just from the five hour drive my ankles were bigger than my calves. If we bring our own, I'm not sure if we will be able to stay on property---it's not like I necessarily need it to get around, it'll just be there to make life easier, so I'd feel stupid having to bring it on the Disney bus--especially since it takes a lot of room and hassle to get it on and off. But if we park at the ticket & transportation center I think I'd have the same problem getting it anywhere. Would it be easier, at that point, to just rent one from the parks? But then I'd feel like it would be unfair to a person with an *actual* disability who may need one. Or I could just walk it and hope for the best. What would you do?

What rides are off limits to an expectant mother? We usually only go to MK and Epcot because those are our kids' favorite parks. I know Splash/Space Mountain and BTMR are off limits, which is fine because DH can take our oldest and my other kids prefer low-key rides. At Epcot, I know Test Track is a no-no. What about Mission Space (green, not orange?) and Soarin? I don't remember MS:G being anything intense--and that's the one my 9 year old prefers, but I've never ridden Soarin' (lines are always too long--we usually go around Christmas, but this year I'm due 12/25).

Can anyone think of any tips that would make the trip more pleasant? I'm not worried about pre-term labor or anything--my other four kids were induced past my due date with very little progress having been made, and I have very ordinary and uncomplicated pregnancies. My OB says that the trip should be fine (unless something changes between now and then) and that his only recommendation is to drink a lot of water and make a lot of stops along the drive (We're 13-14 hours away).

Anyone who went to Disney at this point of their pregnancy and had a great time and would like to tell me that it'll all be ok would be great too. :) Changing when we go isn't really an option because of school schedules, the only other time they have off is Mardi Gras break the first week of March and not only will crowds be higher, but I think the weather would be more unpredictable and I'm not sure how I'd feel with a 2 month old at WDW--the earliest we've brought a child was at 4 months--especially also having a child who will only be 19 months old in March.

Lastly, can anyone tell me what to expect with the weather and crowds the last week of October?

Ok,for your first topic about the ecv. Honestly,if you stay on site there is no reason to be self concious. Just this weekend we went and saw pleanty of non disney ecv loading on the bus and it doesnt take that long,theres also the option of telling the driver you can transfer out of the ecv once loaded and sit on a bus seat. I know how you feel though. With all 4 of mine I had issues,my last baby (whos 7months now) I had a special medical issue that caused alot of pain but I took one for the team and went to wdw for my other kids and my dh all but ordered me to get a ecv after day 1. Being pregnant isnt easy and any one that looks down on you for needed an ecv needs to mind thier own business. So think about your comfort and babys and do what feels best.
Ok,2nd question. MS green IS milder and you should be ok...BUT...if your preggy belly is fairly big Id say skip it. You sit really close to others and the screen closes in on you so that might be a concern for you. With Soarin Id worry about the blood rushing to your feet and making them swell agian your call but that would be my only concern for you there. Everything else at Epcot should be fine. MKs mountains like you said are out :-( as are astro orbiters,speedway,stitch and maybe buzz if agian your baby belly is out there. In fantasyland most things are ok except tea cups. Pirates should be ok,alaadins carpets and jungle cruise are ok. Just main point is be careful the lap and over restraints. With my 2nd daughter one came down to hard @universal and I felt contraction like pain the rest of the day.
Lastly,with all that said Ive gone with all my 4 pregnancies in my last trimester and have had a GREAT time! Stay hydrated,take as many benches of wdw tours as you need(lol) and go your pace. The baby care centers in the parks are an awesome place for you and the younger children to rest in the A/C. Since octobers here in florida are still pretty warm. Have a great time.

I think once you get there you will be fine, since this is not your first pregnancy u know what ur limits will be like......what you need to be careful with is the car ride....walking the parks will help ur circulation but that long car ride could cause swelling that'll be hard to get rid of. Definately stop and walk around.....not just a pit stoop but walk around, and while sitting in the car rotate your ankles and pump them back and forth like you r driving. If you can recline ur seat down and lay on ur side that will help to.....bring a towel to prop the belly on in the car. Ask ur OB if compression stockings are an option, some docs like them and some don't.

Ditto most others. I'd also definitely take breaks and head back to your resort to rest or even just sit in the pool. I'd avoid mission space all together. And, remember you can get ice water at table service restaurants...take advantage and stay hydrated!

I carried snacks and a refillable water bottle with me the entire time...in case I needed energy the little packs of peanut butter crackers are always a good alternative.

I will be 31 wks when me and my DD go for our sept trip. Thankfully I don't swell but I would use the one you have available for free since it sounds like something you will need to help enjoy your trip.

As for rides this being my 8th baby I have learned what my body can handle. I would have no problem on splash. Probably a few others that disney has to warn about but I would be comfortable going on.

Just pack plenty of water. If you have a basket maybe a soft cooler that would fit to fill with cold waters. Also bring some little snacks. That way you don't have to make so many trips for food stops. Like granola bars, crackers, other little things like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter