• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney vs. RCCL

We are debating too. It's so hard to decide. The Aquatheater looks cool, and so does the boardwalk! I printed out their brochure to show dh and his head was spinning from all of the information.

I see your cruise date is in June. We had looked into that same cruise date for Freedom of the Seas, but the price was $1000 more than our March 14th date. That's when our kids are off for spring break, so we'll take advantage of the cheaper price.
I'd love March 14th (my b'day week), but our Spring Break isn't until April (around Easter). Oasis would cost me $1500 more plus airfare, and that is hard to justify since we would drive to PC.

Just checking in with a sale price - I can't do this sailing (kids are just starting back at school) but I would LOVE too. Might help someone here...

Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas - September 5, 2009
Five Night - Western Caribbean
Fort Lauderdale, Grand Caymen, Cozumel

Resident Rate (depends on your state)
$249 - Inside - Cat M
$349 - Large OV - Cat F
$549 - Balcony - Cat D1
$729 - Suite Guarantee - Cat W (means at least a Junior Suite)

I'd love March 14th (my b'day week), but our Spring Break isn't until April (around Easter). Oasis would cost me $1500 more plus airfare, and that is hard to justify since we would drive to PC.

Yes, the ability to drive to PC is what is leaning us toward Freedom of the Seas. Airfare during spring break will be very high.:scared1:

cruisinmama06, those are great prices! Too bad I can't take advantage.

We rebooked while on our June 21 Freedom cruise for the Oasis ship next June..........but we are SERIOUSLY considering switching to either Freedom or Liberty instead..........until the Oasis looses a little of her newness and her prices come down just a tad. Having done both Liberty and now Freedom, I KNOW I can have a great vacation!!!!!!!!! (And not eat Ramen Noodles all year to afford it!):rotfl:

Just checking in with a sale price - I can't do this sailing (kids are just starting back at school) but I would LOVE too. Might help someone here...

Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas - September 5, 2009
Five Night - Western Caribbean
Fort Lauderdale, Grand Caymen, Cozumel

Resident Rate (depends on your state)
$249 - Inside - Cat M
$349 - Large OV - Cat F
$549 - Balcony - Cat D1
$729 - Suite Guarantee - Cat W (means at least a Junior Suite)

Enchantment is a great ship. We loved our time on her.

I am only on your first page but, I REALLY wanted to do a Disney cruise in 2010, my travel agent quoted me and then she told me about RCCL. We are only looking for a 3 day cruise, as this will be our first one. When we looked at both pricing, it is like a $2500 difference with RCCL being the cheapest of the two. We are stil thinking about it....we are looking at the Monarch on the Seas, I think that it is called, going to Nassau and CoCo Cay, leaving out of Port Canavaral. I was so happy to see your report, since I have nothing to compare a cruise to.

Thanks for the help!

Stacy

I am only on your first page but, I REALLY wanted to do a Disney cruise in 2010, my travel agent quoted me and then she told me about RCCL. We are only looking for a 3 day cruise, as this will be our first one. When we looked at both pricing, it is like a $2500 difference with RCCL being the cheapest of the two. We are stil thinking about it....we are looking at the Monarch on the Seas, I think that it is called, going to Nassau and CoCo Cay, leaving out of Port Canavaral. I was so happy to see your report, since I have nothing to compare a cruise to.

Thanks for the help!

Stacy

Hey Stacy, I saw you on the July thread. Been back 1 week and started planning a cruise. The price is what hurts. Still trying to figure out what to do in 2010

Well, we cancelled the RCCL for next summer. Having to get a new car this weekend instead.

Good discussion, lots of good information. We love Disney but I am curious about RCCL... I know that if I did do another line I would not be able to be anywhere at the same time as DCL, it would be too hard!

We are stil thinking about it....we are looking at the Monarch on the Seas, I think that it is called, going to Nassau and CoCo Cay, leaving out of Port Canavaral. I was so happy to see your report, since I have nothing to compare a cruise to.

Thanks for the help!

Stacy

Be warned.......I have never been on the Monarch. It is one of RCCL's older ships. If you look at cruise reviews on cruise critic, some of those are not as favorable. Personally, when it came time for us to "try" another cruise line.....I was not even going to consider another ship, if it wasn't fairly new. You have to remember that on other lines, these short, 3 day cruises attract a different atmosphere.......That is not saying that it is a "party" boat, because you will read how some families LOVED it........I would just do a little investigating first.:surfweb: I think a 3 day Disney cruise attracts maybe more of the atmosphere that you are looking for. I would start looking around.....you may be able to find a RCCL 5-7 day cruise, on a newer ship, that is about the same price as your Wonder 3 day. If your children are young enough (elementary age) Going Disney in October can really be a bargin! I would just be careful and read a little more first. As much as I have loved my RCCL Freedom and Liberty cruises.....I'm not sure I would do an older ship. JMHO.

Thanks for the help!

Stacy

I agree with the PP about the ship itself. This is one of the older if not the oldest ships in RCI's fleet. The staterooms are very small, so we don't want you to think all of RCI's ships have the same size rooms. The ports will be the same regardless, but the ship itself is not entirely indicative of RCI as a product. The much larger ships from Vision right on up to Freedom and Genesis classes will give you many more options, not to mention larger staterooms. I saw on here that Enchantment of the Seas is offering great deals on 4 and 5 night cruises. This is a beautiful ship that I have sailed on and is similar in size to the Magic/Wonder.

Thank you for all of the great information! I will check with my TA and see what she can come up with for me. I will also jump over to another board and see what I can find out about this boat...I have been looking around trying to find discussions about the cruises. My kids will be 8 and 14 if we get to go on a cruise next year...

Thank you, Stacy

Hey Stacy, I saw you on the July thread. Been back 1 week and started planning a cruise. The price is what hurts. Still trying to figure out what to do in 2010

Hi Will5mom, I know what you mean, I am still trying to figure out what to do as well. I REALLY wanted to try for a Disney cruise but I just not sure that I can swing the price...

Stacy

Well, we cancelled the RCCL for next summer. Having to get a new car this weekend instead.
:sad2:
Sorry to hear that! :wizard: But....this is life and sometimes life throws you a curve ball.

Here is some Pixie Dust to make your search easier......I HATE BUYING A CAR!!!!!!!!:wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard:

. . . we don't want you to think all of RCI's ships have the same size rooms.

. . . the ship itself is not entirely indicative of RCI as a product.
RCI has 22 ships in six classes.

So it's not like booking Disney -- with just two nearly identical ships.

Woody

Thanks for the comparison between Disney and RCCL, makes me feel much better about my choice. I've had to postpone my trip on the magic for this October and move it to next November due to finances. I just booked a 5 night Western on the Enchantment of the Seas for $319.00 each person. the itinery is pretty much the same as DCL with us travelling to Labadee Haiti, Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

I just had some questions regarding food and drinks. I've heard you must buy a drink card if you or your kids want pop, if this is true do you remember what that cost? Also are the snacks and some room service also free or are there additional costs? Was there a lot to do for 14 year olds and were there any excursions you would recommend? In Cozumel we will be doing the dolphin swim so we are looking for suggesstions in Grand cayman.

Sorry, I know I'm asking alot of questions, I just like to be prepared.

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your suggestions. Tneah, you are right. Oasis sails out of Ft. Lauderdale. So, I could fly non-stop with Southwest. But airfare will be high for spring break.

The plus in sailing on Freedom of the Seas is that it is in Port Canaveral and we could drive if airfare is too high. Ft Lauderdale would take several hours more on a drive, so I don't think we'd be willing to do that. Maybe Freedom would work out better then.

Hi, I see you live in Kansas right? or am I wrong.
Try Southwest airlines if your airport has them. Then fly into Jacksonville.
My dd flew from Jacksonville to Vegas for under $125 last Oct.
Southwest in finally coming to our state-WI, and I can't wait.

My question concerning the RCCL. We are doing Freedom of the Seas, and this is my question. I don't want to carry around to much cash, but could I put some of my cash on a VISA Gift Card?

Hi, I see you live in Kansas right? or am I wrong.
Try Southwest airlines if your airport has them. Then fly into Jacksonville.
My dd flew from Jacksonville to Vegas for under $125 last Oct.
Southwest in finally coming to our state-WI, and I can't wait.

Yes, we'd be flying out of Kansas City. I'll check out your suggestion. Thanks for the tip.

Does anyone know of a TA who is giving OBC when booking RCCL? It doesn't seem like DU gives out OBC's for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter