disney visa

momsal

DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple><i>We are FAMILY
is it worth getting a card for the discounts??

For us, yes. I just signed up a few months ago from a mailer! They were offering a $200 gift card after you charged $500. Since, we place almost all of our expenses on a credit card, we racked up $500 in less than a month, and received the gift card within a few weeks! We're excited to get the free photo AND to continue to accrue disney reward dollars for future trips!

I have been wondering the same thing. I'm currently paying for my September trip and I'm probably going again w/ my mom in March.. I don't usually charge things other than travel though so I can't decide if it's worth it!

Probably not. If you can get the card use it, get the $200 and then pay off the card and let it sit with nothing on it then its worth it.

Otherwise the interest rate is not that good, the rewards aren't that good and the jump on the discounts is not that good. Very rarely if EVER has a resort become completely unavailable between booking under a visa window and a public offer window.

That being said the cards are totally cute and I have one (ok 2), I am a charter member and I have a hard time letting it go.

Probably not. If you can get the card use it, get the $200 and then pay off the card and let it sit with nothing on it then its worth it.

Otherwise the interest rate is not that good, the rewards aren't that good and the jump on the discounts is not that good. Very rarely if EVER has a resort become completely unavailable between booking under a visa window and a public offer window.

We just got it, even though the trip is mostly paid for already, we are going to save the $200 for the time in the park. What we are going to do is basically dump all our "monthly expenses" that can be card paid, like insurance, cable bill, phone bill, etc onto that card, and pay it off every month. May seem like an additional step, but it will earn us 1% towards money we can use towards Disney as well.

The Disney Visa is my go-to card. As I pay it off every month I confess to not knowing the interest rate. The discounts are good, and the gift card is even nicer.

Judy

We run everything through on our card and the last few years, no debit card, no cash, no checks if at all possible and we have taken between $500-$900 with us every year. Granted, these were record years with two weddings, two new grandbabies, four showers, new windows and siding. Once, I was standing in Lowe's with my son who was about to write a check for new kitchen cabinets and I yelled "wait!" I put them on my Disney card and he wrote me the check! I'll probably be in for a shock of how little we earn if we ever have a "normal" year. :)

I have some dollars accumulated. I've never redeemed before. If I get a card with my Disney dollars on it, how do I add points and is there a minimum you have to have to add?

if you are disciplined, it is well worth it.

it is a higher interest rate.. you have to chage things that you normally woudl pay cash for. put that money aside and pay it off every month.... voila! free disny money!

of course chase is counting on you not paying it off every month and paying the interest.

be sure to keep up on when the reward dollars expire and get a gift car before they do.

ou son works in the credit card division at chase and tried for quite a few years to convince us. I kept saying,, but the interest rate is higher than our other card.

his response... be diligent. only use it to pay for things you were going to pay cash (or check ) for anyway.. and MAKE sure you do that every month!!!

ok you have a car insurance bill every 6 months? you are used to sending a check for that? pay for it with the disney visa and send that check to to the disney visa (on top of the money you would already be sending)

We use ours for everything and pay it off every month. In less than a year we have almost $500 and by the time we go in November we will have close to $700.

We love ours. I like many others use it for everything and pay off. Even if you never used it I would get it just for the 200.00 gift card (though you have to spend some on it to get the gift card) I have a code that is good until the end of the month if you want to apply (side not I do get a 50 reward bonus if you use my #)!

Jill

I Have one and it is worth it for the reward dollars. We just went to Disney and used what we earned to pay for meals.

I have some dollars accumulated. I've never redeemed before. If I get a card with my Disney dollars on it, how do I add points and is there a minimum you have to have to add?

You can request a Disney Rewards Redemption Card either by phone or you can go to your on-line Chase account and request one from there. You need to have at least $20 in available Disney Dollars in order to transfer dollars to your redemption card. Once you are holding a card, I believe then you only need a minimum of $10 available to do additional transfers.

Disney Reward dollars expire 5 years after they've been earned, and your statement will track when they expire. The one good thing is that when the 5 years are up, if you have dollars available, you transfer them to a redemption card and it buys you at least another year, minimum, to use them.

Going back to the original topic. I've never thought the additional perks were enough for me to get or use the card. We've gotten the free photo at Epcot, have used it to get an additional 10% off at certain stores (basically pays the tax) but have never booked any vacation package due to a Disney Visa offer.

For us, its all about earning the Disney $. Right now we just went over $1,000 available and that goes a long way to making things more affordable. I got the card when it first went public (hard to give up as it has the coveted "Day 1 - Charter member imprinted on it :thumbsup2) and we've probably accumulated around $3000 in reward dollars since we first started charging on it. For me, that makes the difference of whether we can go or not, so the card is definitely worth it for me, and if we use it for some secondary perks, then that's just a bonus.:woohoo:

If you know you are going to Disney within a year or two, I'd certainly get the card, if nothing else for the introductory $$ they usually throw at you.

I've been searching for the offer of $200 gf after $500 purchase, but have no found it. Anyone have a link to it?

ou son works in the credit card division at chase and tried for quite a few years to convince us. I kept saying,, but the interest rate is higher than our other card.

his response... be diligent. only use it to pay for things you were going to pay cash (or check ) for anyway.. and MAKE sure you do that every month!!!

ok you have a car insurance bill every 6 months? you are used to sending a check for that? pay for it with the disney visa and send that check to to the disney visa (on top of the money you would already be sending)

Hmm there is no surcharge from the car insurance to pay by Visa?
I'll have to check that. I have a son that hasn't been driving long and his insurance is through the roof. If I can make $25 by paying off his insurance.....would be worth it. (yes insurance in MA is that expensive)

We run everything through on our card and the last few years, no debit card, no cash, no checks if at all possible and we have taken between $500-$900 with us every year. Granted, these were record years with two weddings, two new grandbabies, four showers, new windows and siding. Once, I was standing in Lowe's with my son who was about to write a check for new kitchen cabinets and I yelled "wait!" I put them on my Disney card and he wrote me the check! I'll probably be in for a shock of how little we earn if we ever have a "normal" year. :)

Way to go! Good catch. I just put a deposit on my new car to get some points before financing the rest. Wish I could have done the whole car. LOL wishful thinking.

We just got it, even though the trip is mostly paid for already, we are going to save the $200 for the time in the park. What we are going to do is basically dump all our "monthly expenses" that can be card paid, like insurance, cable bill, phone bill, etc onto that card, and pay it off every month. May seem like an additional step, but it will earn us 1% towards money we can use towards Disney as well.

It does add up fast. I've been trying to see what I can pay without a surcharge from the utility company. Some of them charge a fee to use Visa.
But my son's college doesn't and guess what I did the past two years with his tuition. LOL Last year I broke the payments up so I would clear the limit. This year I just asked them to extend the limit. LOL
His college is paying for Dinner one night. :goodvibes

I have been wondering the same thing. I'm currently paying for my September trip and I'm probably going again w/ my mom in March.. I don't usually charge things other than travel though so I can't decide if it's worth it!

Last November I was able to get the points up there and saved $800.
Then February I saved $200 so I treated myself to a Spa treatment during my solo trip.
Now this November I'll have probably about $300-400. I do try to use it for anything that won't end up being a surcharge. I even charge and then come on and schedule an online payment before the bill is due. Last month I made 3 payments so I could keep charging. I pay only things I could afford cash so that I don't have interest at the end of month. I almost daily track how much is there trying to guess how many rewards Ill get that month. ;)

I Have one and it is worth it for the reward dollars. We just went to Disney and used what we earned to pay for meals.

Yup I like to do that too. Because if I apply it to my trip, then it subtracts points to earn when I charge the balance. ;)
I guess it doesn't matter because then I'd be charging at the parks and accumulating for the next trip.
However I also plan to buy gift cards with my points and save them for Christmas Gifts. I can give a bigger gift that way and it's not technically costing me anything.

I would no way be able to afford to go to Disney if I didn't have my points.
I'm addicted to getting points. :banana:

It's only worth it if you pay off your balance every month. Chase charges the people you pay with the Visa so that is how they make their money. Or of course that one month I didn't watch the balance on line, I blew it and they zapped me. I lost the points basically that month. I was so bummed.

Not to sound like a jerk and in response to the comments about only using it for things you would pay cash for anyway...
you shouldn't put anything on a cc that you don't plan on paying off in full anyway
That's exactly how people end up in big trouble, spending more then they can afford and buying things they don't have money for

That said I'm thinking of upgrading the to premium card as I looked at my last yrs end statement and in "grocery" I spent over 12k which with the extra % would cover the annual fee and make me money. I'm just not big on annual fees

Not to sound like a jerk and in response to the comments about only using it for things you would pay cash for anyway...
you shouldn't put anything on a cc that you don't plan on paying off in full anyway
That's exactly how people end up in big trouble, spending more then they can afford and buying things they don't have money for

That said I'm thinking of upgrading the to premium card as I looked at my last yrs end statement and in "grocery" I spent over 12k which with the extra % would cover the annual fee and make me money. I'm just not big on annual fees

yes you could get into BIG trouble that way. that is why you have to be disciplined. ONLY use it for things you were going to , in my case, send out a check for, anyway. jsut send one check at the end (actually, middle) of the month.

but, yes this could get quite a lot of people in trouble.. which, I'm sure, the credit card companies count on. of course they don't want you to pay your balance off every month... they are counting on unexpectred expenses coming up in our life, and you don't pay the balance, and you DO end up paying those high interest rates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter