Disney Visa Rewards - How much to Transfer?

Disney71

DIS Veteran
Hello Fellow Dis'ers -

DH and I are off in just a couple of days and we are getting all the last minute things together and while I was transfering my Disney Visa rewards points to my Disney rewards card I came up with a question I wanted to throw out to all of you.....

We have about $375 in Disney rewards (woo hoo), but when I am on the transfer page it tells me what ever I transfer over will expire on 12/08 - eeks! What if we don't use the money? We are on the DDP and staying on property ... so now I am concerned that if we transfer the whole $375 and don't use it we will lose it... what would you guys do?? Help :confused:

Are you sure it expires in 12/08 and not 12/09? I just got my card and it says they expire in 12/09. We have no worries about spending ours...it's over $500 and still need to pay the hotel balance and buy tickets so it will go fast.

yes, if you don't use it, you lose it. but as far as i know, it takes only a few minutes to transfer either over the phone or online.

also you're entitled to 2 cards at any time, so if you only have the 1, no harm in getting another.

you can get another card on site at guest relations at DTD or MK

Transfer it all. You will no doubt buy some 2008 shirts and other souvenirs. Plus you can charge any tips from your DDP to card as well. I had about 340 on my rewards card and the deluxe DDP and easily blew through the money. So go ahead and get that glass of wine with dinner; charge it to your room and pay the charges with the rewards card.

How about getting a new rewards card. It would not expire in 2008, probably 2009. Or you can just transfer some of the points now and then if you use them all you can transfer more while you are at WDW. You can do it on the phone.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Yes, I'm doing the same thing. I"ve got a card that expires 12/08, but I've got $700 in disney dollars and don't want to be without needed funds, but don't want unused funds to expire during our 12/08 trip. SO, I'm requesting a new card. The only problem is you may not have time to go through the normal process to get a card. BUT you might be able to get one at Downtown Disney. I know there is a place in DTD where you can add dollars to your card, maybe they can give you a card as well. Its worth a call.

If you are really concerened, you should transfer conservatively. If you do not have a card, one should call a few months in advance so to be sure to get a card, but you can get one with minimal rewards. If you find that you could use your rewards, you can always transfer points when you are there. They are transferred immediately.
I go through AAA and always use all my rewards dollars ahead of time to pay some of the trip.

as i stated earlier, you can pick up a new card at guest relations at DTD or MK.

as i stated earlier, you can pick up a new card at guest relations at DTD or MK.

We tried to do that in August and they gave us the paperwork that explained how to get the card and the phone number or website to call so I don't know if I would count on getting a new card while there.

Liz

Last year on the day we arrived we were able to call Disney VISA from the MK city hall and transfer the dollars to the rewards card (had the card in hand).

....and we were told we could use it immediately. So we did use it a little later that afternoon.

I have done this the last three trips. I transfer about $200 at first, and then when that's depleted, I just call and add more. I've never had an issue transferring when I'm down there, and it works instantly.

The other reason I wouldn't want to transfer the whole value at once is because if you happen to lose the card without realizing it, someone could use those dollars before you're able to cancel the card.

if you closed a disney visa account are your rewards dollars still available.
i had to close my account because a friend got a hold of my cc and was using it beyond belief. i know i had accumulated some sort of reward dollars but have a now lost them or can i still get them

I could probably spend that easily in 2-3 days or less at WDW:laughing:
If you don't think you will use it all, transfer some now and then you can call when you are at Disney and transfer more.
Since you are leaving in a couple days you do not have time to wait and receive a new card with a longer expiration date (although I think there are places on property you can get a new rewards card:confused3 ).
One trip I transferred some points when I was down there because they were not available before I left for the trip. All it took was a quick phone call and they were immediately available (and spent almost immediately too :lmao: ).

Just for clarification, you can pick up a rewards card on property. This is taken directly from the chase/disney website:

Missed the chance to order a Disney Rewards® Card before your trip?
If you have at least 20 Disney Dream Reward Dollars®3 in your account, you can get a Disney Rewards Card issued at these guest relations areas:
Downtown Disney® Marketplace
Downtown Disney® Westside
Magic Kingdom® Guest Relations Window
Magic Kingdom® Guest Relations at City Hall
Disney's Hollywood Studios™ Guest Relations
Window: Located to the left of Main Entrance turnstiles and Movieland Memorabilia
In-Park: Adjacent to Main Entrance turnstiles and Sid Cahuenga's One-of-a-Kind (Hollywood Blvd.)
Epcot® Guest Relations
Window:
Main Entrance - Located to the right of Gift Stop
International Gateway - Booth before the turnstiles
In-Park: Inside the main entrance just past Spaceship Earth on the left
Disney's Animal Kingdom® Park Guest Relations
In-Park: Adjacent to Main Entrance turnstiles (Oasis)
Be sure to bring your Disney Rewards Visa Card and a valid photo I.D.

Transfer what you know you will use. Take the 800# with you and make a call to transfer if you can use more (unless you have computer access and can do it online.) We are in the same boat for our October trip. DH is talking about trying to have some meals outside of the WDW - not big fans of the restaurants in the world. So I'll transfer enough points for a low ball budget and transfer more if needed.

Jeez, have you guys had your cards long? how come I only have 75 points on mine? After you transfer the points, do you still accumulate more points if you don't pay off the balance?

In a worst case scenario where you had dream reward dolalrs about to expire, could you buy Disney Dollars with them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter