Disney vacation account vs. regular savings?

ugggg - I usually hit target on Sunday and am hoping this is just an online glitch

I posted in the Disney Gift Card Deals thread already but this is currently NOT possible. You can try for yourself. Also, Disney gift cards are currently out of stock online. I just did it last week but myself and others have tried today and it will not give 5% off for ANY gift card.

Thanks for the heads up. Obviously we can't test until they restock for online purchase, but it wouldn't surprise me if they finally closed this loophole. IIRC, Disney cards got the discount because they weren't classified as a gift card (which have never received discounts via REDcard), but rather as an entertainment card. I'm just glad I finalized all my purchases a month ago while I could still get the discount!

Really it depends if you are a saver that will not spend your savings for that shoe emergency.

If you can open a saving acct and put 3k in it without touching it perfect.

but, if you are like most Americans that cant save pennies and live paycheck to paycheck, DVA might be perfect for you or buying disney gc to pay for trip.

Don't have a DVA, but for this next trip I have been buying GC with extra money, while still contributing to our regular vacation bank saving acct.

After this trip is over I plan to open a DVA and conti buying GC for dinsey, because I know I will go again. Plus its been fun to think of crafty ways to save.

Thanks for the heads up. Obviously we can't test until they restock for online purchase, but it wouldn't surprise me if they finally closed this loophole. IIRC, Disney cards got the discount because they weren't classified as a gift card (which have never received discounts via REDcard), but rather as an entertainment card. I'm just glad I finalized all my purchases a month ago while I could still get the discount!

I did test with Southwest gift cards and it didn't work this time when it worked in the past.

I just found this thread which has been very helpful since we are trying to figure out if DVA is better or putting money in a CD. A regular savings account wouldnt really give you enough interest. It seems like leaving the money in a CD then taking out what you need for your disney vacation shortly before your trip and putting it in your DVA would be a good idea.

Edited 6/01/2107 because this thread was bumped:
I no longer recommend using the DVA except at the very last minute and only to pay for your Disney vacation in multiples of $1,000. Gift cards can be combined on the disneygiftcard.com website if you find that a stack of $50 GCs is too unwieldy.

Timely update! I read all of the Disney faqs on this today, and like everything else Disney, it's pretty complex! Can you confirm that giftcards can be combined on the disneygiftcard.com page and then later applied to the vacation account? We're eyeing travel before the end of December and will have at least 2000 to contribute, which as I understand it should mean $40 in giftcards. Wanted to check that there isn't any red tape there.

The faq did not mention the purchase of an annual pass with disney vacation funds. Any insight on that? I found this disboards thread from 2014 that concerns me:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/using-disney-vacation-account-to-purchase-annual-passes.3237166/

Additionally, I have seen many bad things about it. One example:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/those-using-disney-vacation-account.3533265/

Worth it? Thanks!

Last edited:
Timely update! I read all of the Disney faqs on this today, and like everything else Disney, it's pretty complex! Can you confirm that giftcards can be combined on the disneygiftcard.com page and then later applied to the vacation account? We're eyeing travel before the end of December and will have at least 2000 to contribute, which as I understand it should mean $40 in giftcards. Wanted to check that there isn't any read tape there.

The faq did not mention the purchase of an annual pass with disney vacation funds. Any insight on that? I found this disboards thread from 2014 that concerns me:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/using-disney-vacation-account-to-purchase-annual-passes.3237166/

Additionally, I have seen many bad things about it. One example:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/those-using-disney-vacation-account.3533265/

Worth it? Thanks!
Yes, I have combined GCs on the Disney GC website. I have entered those GCs into the DVA just prior to paying my DVC fees. No problems there. I would never keep funds in it.

Yes, you can use the DVA to purchase an AP - online only. You cannot use it in the parks or resorts for anything.

Yes, the DVA has had and continues to have problems. It's fine if you never encounter a problem but if you have an issue, you are trapped in an endless loop of poorly trained individuals that either don't know how to address your problem or don't care to. Lots of posts from people who have had problems with ill-executed refunds, GCs that were zero'd out when trying to apply funds to the account but account balance not increasing, and account balances going down when no purchases were actually made.

Yes, I have combined GCs on the Disney GC website. I have entered those GCs into the DVA just prior to paying my DVC fees. No problems there. I would never keep funds in it.

Yes, you can use the DVA to purchase an AP - online only. You cannot use it in the parks or resorts for anything.

Yes, the DVA has had and continues to have problems. It's fine if you never encounter a problem but if you have an issue, you are trapped in an endless loop of poorly trained individuals that either don't know how to address your problem or don't care to. Lots of posts from people who have had problems with ill-executed refunds, GCs that were zero'd out when trying to apply funds to the account but account balance not increasing, and account balances going down when no purchases were actually made.

Thanks! Maybe it's worth a skip then. I'm new to the whole Disney thing, and I've already experienced strife with their customer service/employee consistency- from their parks to their stores (online and brick & mortar) to online and phone cast members. Really baffling to me, as they run the Disney Institute! Bonus gift-cards would be a nice perk, but it sure doesn't sound worth the time, stress, and endless phone calls to make the "magic" happen. ;) I got an advertisement at work for their "Quality Service" program recently, and I'm pretty sure if I ever forked over the thousands it would take to go I would laugh the entire time. So completely confused by it, but fascinated at the same time.

Really appreciate your posts on these boards- you have been one of the most repeatedly insightful posters as I learn how this all works!

I use the DVA regularly whenever I'm going to makes a purchase from Disney - hard ticket events, dining plan, DVC fees, etc. I've lost count of the bonuses I've earned, but if you are definitely going to spend the money at Disney and don't plan on cancelling your plans, a little extra spending cash is a nice perk!

I have used DVA enough to earn (and max out) the $500 bonus (that is, multiple trips up to $25,000). My parents and brother also have DVAs. I have their passwords so I can easily drop in a gift card or two for father's day, birthday, anniversaries, etc. If we go on a family trip, then they bring along their gift card that their DVA has earned. It's been a good program for our extended family.

I have used DVA enough to earn (and max out) the $500 bonus (that is, multiple trips up to $25,000). My parents and brother also have DVAs. I have their passwords so I can easily drop in a gift card or two for father's day, birthday, anniversaries, etc. If we go on a family trip, then they bring along their gift card that their DVA has earned. It's been a good program for our extended family.
I was wondering if they would really cap it at $500 (I know it says it, but still - Disney tech and all). Can you close the account and reopen it or use another email?

I was wondering if they would really cap it at $500

They did for me! I was expecting a $220 gift card and received $140. I was surprised until I realized I had gone over the $25,000 spend (crazy, I know). I believe the physical address to which they mail the gift card is their consideration.

Is anyone else having issues trying to log into DVA site? Getting this error message:
upload_2017-6-4_9-8-13.png

I do have an account so not sure what's going on:confused3:confused3

Is anyone else having issues trying to log into DVA site? Getting this error message:
View attachment 241919

Oh dear - I hope they get it fixed quickly. I actually just opened a DVA yesterday, funded with $10. Like Marionnette, I don't plan to keep any funds in the DVA but instead to fund it just before I need to actually make a payment. We are hoping to do a March 2018 trip. It probably will be a room-only purchase (still have some days left on non-expiring tickets). My planning is currently stuck because the rates for 2018 aren't out yet. But just thinking this through, when would I need to have the DVA funded? At the time I make the reservation or at the time of the actual stay? Or sometime in between?

View attachment 241919

I just tried to log into my DVA account and got the same message. Looks like another DVA SNAFU. Doesn't surprise me. Hopefully people's accounts will be restored to their previous states when the site is back up.

Oh dear - I hope they get it fixed quickly. I actually just opened a DVA yesterday, funded with $10. Like Marionnette, I don't plan to keep any funds in the DVA but instead to fund it just before I need to actually make a payment. We are hoping to do a March 2018 trip. It probably will be a room-only purchase (still have some days left on non-expiring tickets). My planning is currently stuck because the rates for 2018 aren't out yet. But just thinking this through, when would I need to have the DVA funded? At the time I make the reservation or at the time of the actual stay? Or sometime in between?
You account must be open 120 days prior to spending any money in order to qualify for any bonus GCs. If opened yesterday,, that would mean you would not earn toward the bonus if any money from it is spent prior to October 1, 2017. You can pay the deposit for your room-only reservation online with the DVA but there's no way to pay the balance that way. You would have to call Disney to use your DVA, otherwise RO reservations do not get charged until you check in and then you cannot use the DVA for payment.

You account must be open 120 days prior to spending any money in order to qualify for any bonus GCs. If opened yesterday,, that would mean you would not earn toward the bonus if any money from it is spent prior to October 1, 2017. You can pay the deposit for your room-only reservation online with the DVA but there's no way to pay the balance that way. You would have to call Disney to use your DVA, otherwise RO reservations do not get charged until you check in and then you cannot use the DVA for payment.

Thanks - I almost certainly will call Disney before making the reservation, just to see if there are any discounts available. Can the Disney reservations people take the DVA information, or would I have to call DVA separately?

Thanks - I almost certainly will call Disney before making the reservation, just to see if there are any discounts available. Can the Disney reservations people take the DVA information, or would I have to call DVA separately?
You can give the reservations CM your DVA number. It's just like giving them a GC's number. However, make sure that you have the full DVA account number. The last 4 digits are displayed on your account web page. The first 12 were included in the confirmation email that they sent you. You need all 16 numbers. Since accessing the website can be hit or miss (like today, for instance), it's a good idea to make sure that you have the entire account number recorded somewhere safe.

You can give the reservations CM your DVA number. It's just like giving them a GC's number. However, make sure that you have the full DVA account number. The last 4 digits are displayed on your account web page. The first 12 were included in the confirmation email that they sent you. You need all 16 numbers. Since accessing the website can be hit or miss (like today, for instance), it's a good idea to make sure that you have the entire account number recorded somewhere safe.

Wow - I had no idea about the account number being in two different places. Thanks. And I have been watching the threads about the DVA issues for a few years now so I will definitely leave time for a few thing to go wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter