Disney Trip Insurance?

d1sneyf4n

DIS Veteran
I am not really sure if this belongs here and sorry if it doesn't but I have a question about the trip insurance that Disney gives you when you book a trip through them. Do you take their trip insurance if so why and if you decline it, why do you decline it. I am going to book a trip for Dec and I am not sure if I should get the insurance or not. TIA

I buy mine from insure my trip . com

Disney's is to expensive.

As my parents got older I began insuring my trips. Two years ago my father became ill and I had to cancel my trip unexpectedly. Life happens and you never know what might come up.

Disney insurance is non-refundable. (not sure if others are or not) The CM who booked my last bounceback offer didn't bother to tell me that. My friend had to cancel due to the economy, but her portion of the insurance I added stayed on the bill. She was nice enough to pay it, but it would have been nice if they had told me that.

My TA says I can add it closer to the trip, which is my plan. As for is it worth it...I think so. I can't afford to loose the money for the trip and not get anything out of it. Life happens and you never know what or when it will.

I get it becauseyou just never know. As a previous poster said, "Life Happens"

One of my coworkers got it last year and actually had to use it. Their flights were cancelled due to weather and he was able to book flights on a different airline with a different route. The insurance paid for the new flights 100%. So, I know it works.

Disney uses Travel Guard for their insurance. You may find cheaper prices elsewhere, but you don't get the same coverage as you would with Travel Guard...so, before you look somewhere else for cheaper insurance, please compare what you're getting. I researched this for our trip, and getting it through Disney was the best deal because of the amount of coverage they offered as opposed to the "cheaper" places with less coverage.

Disney insurance is non-refundable. (not sure if others are or not) The CM who booked my last bounceback offer didn't bother to tell me that. My friend had to cancel due to the economy, but her portion of the insurance I added stayed on the bill. She was nice enough to pay it, but it would have been nice if they had told me that.

My TA says I can add it closer to the trip, which is my plan. As for is it worth it...I think so. I can't afford to loose the money for the trip and not get anything out of it. Life happens and you never know what or when it will.

You can add insurance closer to your trip, but it may not cover cancellation for pre-existing conditions or financial default of a supplier. Check with your TA about that, it should have been discussed if it hasn't. Most policies have a timeframe in which you need to purchase insurance after trip deposit to have it cover pre-existing conditions or financial default, Travel Guard and Travel Safe are 15 days (with date of deposit being day 1).
Both of these companies offer various levels of coverage and pricing, depending on what you need.

Although travel insurance is not refundable, both Travel Guard and Travel Safe will allow you to use the policy towards a future trip as long as you cancel before any penalties are incurred and there have been no claims on the policy. Travel Guard will issue a credit which is good for 2 years and is transferrable, and Travel Safe will let you apply the amount of your policy purchase towards a new policy as long as you book your new travel prior to the departure date of your original trip.

I cannot comment on other insurance companies, these are the 2 we sell (but we primarily sell TravelSafe).

I'm a TA and am a huge believer in trip insurance, but I usually tell my clients (not that I have many for WDW, I do mostly corporate travel!) not to bother with WDW packages. Disney has a really decent refund policy, as long as you don't cancel just before the trip, you get all or most of it back anyway, and even just before you still get a good chunk of it.

For a WDW trip, I tell my clients to just insure the airfare and not worry about the rest. I do of course let them know the cancelation policy and the cost of the insurance so they can decide for themselves, but once they see the cancelation policy, they usually follow my advice.

This is just my opinion, as always, your mileage may varry.

I've never insured my trips, but I've never had any concerns like health issues either. I'm sure if I did I would.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter