Disney trip 8 days after surgery?

lexib

Earning My Ears
Anyone go to wdw 8 days after gallbladder surgery?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,
i had emergency gallbladder surgery tuesday june 2, we are scheduled to drive to wdw from illinois next thursday june11th, right now I basically feel like my stomach has been run over by a truck. I had the surgery laproscopic but instead of 3 holes in the stomach I have 6 because my gallbladder was inflammed and I had a stone stuck in the duct. I would like to cancel this trip but we borrowed points because of our use year Aug, and we are staying one week at kidani in a 2 bedroom, and the next week at home resorl vwl for 5 days in a studio. There will be 22 in our group the first week we are celebrating our 25th anniversary, the other friends are staying some with us, some at okw, some at the campground and some at marriot's cypress harbour.
I guess I am wondering if any fellow diser's have made a trip like this after a surgery like mine, by the way this was the first surgery ever for me and hopefully my last. My husabnd thinks I will be just fine and be normal in a week?

Well...I had my gall bladder out December 10. I felt pretty close to normal by December 20. I was still sore, and got very tired very quickly, but I no longer felt like I was hit by a truck. Just don't plan on running any marathons, and plan to take it easy, and plan time to rest. Don't over do it.

My surgeon told me not to go back to work till after Christmas break...I went back December 23rd for the last day before vacation. I was EXHAUSTED, and it was only a half day. My follow up with the surgeon was that day, and he was pretty cranky with me. Take it easy!!

I too had my gallbladder out a couple of years ago. I remember that I went back to work after a week. The doctor suggested two but I did one. The first few days back at work I regretted it. The standing and walking for long periods of time was a killer. Maybe you can just take it easy and do some relaxing things the beginning of your trip even if it has to be on your own. I think the walking all day would do you in if you went for a full blown Disney day the first four or five days. But if it were me, I know I would still go! Maybe you could do some spa time even since you are celebrating your anniversary! Could be a good excuse! I also remember that I definitely could not eat any greasy food for the first couple of months or I was in extreme pain for hours after, so I would recommend being careful with that too. I hope this helps. I say go and have a great time, just relax more that you would on a regular Disney trip (or more than I do atleast!)

Seems that everyone's experience with this surgery and comfort levels really varies, but I will relate my experience. I

had my gallbladder removed laproscopy and 8 days later I flew to CA for a wedding and beach vacation in San Diego. My activity level was not equal to that of a busy day in WDW, but I was a bridesmaid so I was fairly busy for the wedding.

As far as pain, I really had none...never needed the pain meds. Compared to the pain of attacks before surgery, I felt so much better. I also had no food issues after surgery.

I hope you feel better quickly, and that you are able to enjoy your trip.

Well I didnt go to Disney, but I did get married a week after my emergency surgery, I also had the 6 cuts because it was inflamed, the day before we had the rehearsal and decorating to do, and I was a little tired, but other than that I was fine. the worst is the first 3 days.
I would still go, because you are going for two weeks so you might want to lay around for the first couple of days but then I am sure you will be ready to go.
Eat lightly!!!! I have had stomach problems ever since and have to eat little meals.

Make it easy on yourself. Just rent an ECV. Everyone responds differently to surgery, but it is always wise to give your body a chance to heal. Since you are staying on points, an afternoon chill out period would also be a good idea.

Not everyone can return to a normal diet after gall bladder surgery. I had mine out 19 years ago, and I still have to take it easy on foods containing any kind of fats, because they all act like a dose of castor oil! Just consider it a reason to eat healthy. Also avoid large meals. Same result.

Enjoy your trip!

Several years ago I had a kidney removed. My surgeon said I could go to the Parks but any warning signs for people with bad backs, heart conditions, or pregnancy applied to me also for a six month period.

I would suggest you seriously consider that, and also rental of an ECV for the entire trip.

I would also suggest going over to the disABILITIES Forum. One of the first threads is the disABILITIES FAQs. On Post #2 we have a lot of information for people with mobility problems including suggested locations for off-site rentals of ECVs.. To get directly to the disABILITIES FAQs from here just click on the link in my signature.

Everyone is different, but you should still go. My gall bladder was my first surgery too. I had it removed 4 years ago the Wednesday before Memorial Day and went back to work part time starting the following Tuesday. Two weeks after surgury I went to a convention in Chicago where I was constantly walking for 3 days straight and did not have any trouble. By the time you go, you should have most of strength back, but if you get tired, take a break, or better yet a nap.

I had mine out also (4 small holes), and went back to work in 1 week. On my feet full shift, but I was cautious and on light duty. It would not have kept me from a WDW trip, but I would have avoided a few rides- like ToT.:goodvibes

definitely rent an ecv. You can rent the entire stay offsite, or just rent the first week. Then see how you feel the second week. Plus, you don't have to stay seated the whole time if you don't want. Park it to the side, like in stroller parking areas, (don't forget the key). Then walk around in sections. You could try some each day, but if you feel off or completely wiped out the next day, you over did it.

If you don't want to rent ahead of time. Make sure to grab a couple of numbers for the disabilities section. This way, when you get their and things are rough on you, you can call and get something delivered to your resort. Being that akl could be a long walk, you may want something at the resort.

Had emergency gall bladder surgery on a thursday on Friday I was out riding on back of a harley felt much better after the ride than before as it worked out some of the soreness. That Sunday got in car for a road trip that was about 800 miles long while on my trip I took my own stitchs out.

Dr told me to go home an do what I ever I felt like doing had we went to disney I'd have prolly rode everything I normally would ride.

I believe you said you were driving? How long is the drive, you will want to talk with your doctor about that and make sure you get out at least every 2 hours to walk around, even 10 days later you should be worried about DVT (blood clots). I would not cancel and I am a nurse........but a disney loving nurse:) Take precautions though, rent an EVC but get out and walk around too. Just take it easy, your body needs to recover

I had my gallbladder out years ago and was up and about the next day (5 holes), but tired and slow moving for about a week. I had a newborn and a 4 year old to chase after. By the second week, I felt back to normal.

I went to Disney a month after finishing 3 1/2 months of concurrent chemotherapy and radiation treatment for cancer. Exhausted takes on a whole new meaning during and after treatment. Everyone told me not to do it, rent a ECV, etc, but I found that I did OK on good old-fashioned foot power. I was the slowest member of the family, but I did just fine.

Take breaks, do what feels right to your body and enjoy your experience. If you need to sit some things out, do it. :thumbsup2

Have fun and be well!:flower3:

My mother had hers out a few years ago and left for an extended trip to China 2 weeks later. Her doctor wasn't thrilled with her leaving the country, but the trip had been planned for almost a year. She didn't want to be in pain over there, so she opted for surgery before. She did really well. As some have mentioned, take it easy and don't push yourself.

I went back to work exactly 2 weeks after I had my gallbladder out. I'm a nurse on a med surg floor. I was pretty sore and tired, but it wasn't that bad.

I had my gallbladder taken out back in October of '07, doctor told me to take a week off from work, but I work in a call center. I sit at a position all day. I went back on thursday, had the surgery monday afternoon, everyone's pain threshold is different. Just take it easy, if you get tired,relax and if they gave you some good pain pills(they did me) bring them with you. make sure you dont do any real heavy lifting or real extreme physical activity unless you are cleared by the surgeon.

i really think that 8 days would be too soon. gallbladder surgery is still a major surgery even when performed laproscopic. a trip to disney requires a lot of energy. people in good health get worn out. if you do decide to go, i would consider getting one of those handicapped electro carts to make it easier. i would think it would be well worth the money to enjoy your stay. myself , i'd postpone if i could. if i couldn't postpone, id' figure out how to make myself as comfortable as possible. (ask for a room close to the transportation, order an electric cart, etc. etc. good luck to you and here's to a speedy recovery!

Everyone is different, but I there's no way I'd cancel a Disney trip! Just take it slow and you'll be fine.

I had mine out on a Thursday, DH went back to work on Monday and I was back in the grind of taking care of DS5 & barely 2. Sure I was sore and got tired easy, but moms don't get breaks. ;)

No one has mentioned eating afterwards......

I still (3 years later) have food issues. Some people don't have any issues at all afterwards. I can't eat fatty or fried foods. Well, let me take that back. I can eat them, but I need to make sure there's a bathroom close by within 30 minutes afterwards. :rolleyes1

So take it easy for several weeks and make sure to be careful what you eat for awhile. You don't want to be in a 2 hours line for Toy Story Mania and have to make a break for the bathrooms. ;)

I remember feeling like I had done 1000 sit ups for a couple of days. I could not stand straight my stomach was so sore. But like I said, that only lasted a few days. The more you move the better you will feel. Just be careful of what you eat because your bathroom needs will be a little different for a while. I think you should do what you feel like you can. If you want to sit a while take advantage and do a little people watching., that is one of my favorite things anyway. Have a great trip!

I had a different surgery prior to a WDW trip several years ago. I got an ECV and it made the trip possible for me. We stayed at SOG and I used it there too. I did park it and walk often. A few times, some other exhausted adult used it while I walked. It was a good thing to have in a large group as it saved several people, lol, but mostly me. I was thinking about that long drive of yours and mostly about the blood clot thing. I'd be adding some time to the drive with regularly scheduled stops to get out and walk around.
go, have fun but easy does it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter