Disney Trip 12/11 to 12/18. NEED ADVICE!

sky7777

Earning My Ears
Dear all,

Ok...ok...after got postponed by the Hurricane in Sept, here comes my first Disney's trip with wifey this 12/11 (Sat) to 12/18 (sat). MAybe it's information over loaded, the more info/reviews/tips i read, the more i felt i am NOT ready for my trip! So, here is my itineary and plans, hope to get some feedbacks and suggestions from u!

DIsney's Hopper pass: 5 days
Universal's Pass: 4 days (4 days for the price of 2 days deal)

12/11 (Sat)
- Flying in to MCO at 1.00pm

Picking up a car from Enterprise : Intermediate car, use own insurance, with tax = $101.15 ; is that too expensive? Was comparing between renting car or public shuttle, but since we need to travel from Disney to Universal for 2 days, I think renting a car might well worth the money, what u think?

- Checkin at Animal Kingdom Lodge - Water/Pool View- Staying for 4 days. HEard I should try asking for a free upgrade to Savanah?

- Plan NOT to waste disney's pass for half day, so will go to Disney's Downtown
a) Cirque du Soleil La Nouba?? Kind of expensive, is it worth it?
b) Wolfgang Puck for dinner

12/12 (Sun)
- Utilize Extra magic hour to enter Magic Kingdom

12/13 (Mon)
-Utilize extra magi hour to enter Animal Kingdom

- PS for dinner at Jiko at 8.00pm.

12/14 (Tue)
-Utilize extra magi hour to enter MGM Studio

12/15 (Wed)
-Utilize extra magi hour to enter Epcot

- Check in to Wilderness Lodge - staying there for 3 days

- Candlelight Processional Dinner Package at 6pm; show at 8.15pm

12/16 (Th)
- Drive to Island of Adventure. Is one day enough?

12/17 (Fri)
- Drive to Universal Studio

- Back to Magic Kingdom around 4pm for MVCP

- Have a PS at 7.30pm at Liberty Tree Tavern. Couldn't move it earlier, so I guess we might not be dining there. What do u think? I should utilize every min for rides and shows right?

12/18 (Sat)
-Utilize the remaining hopper pass for half day in one of the Disney's park! Or u may suggest some other activities or visits?

- Flying back to PHilly at 4.10pm\

I really not sure if I have done enough to prepare for this trip! Am I spending too much time in certain parks??? Some said I can finish MGM in half day, AK in half day? Should i add Sea World to my itineary? Or will it be too packed?

Desparately need ur advice and opinions!

Thanks in advance!

Hi! Looks like a fun trip planned!! Have fun!! The only thing *I* would change would be to break up some of your Disney days (early mornings) with a Universal day. I would switch Tuesday's MGM day with Friday's Universal Studios Day. That way you could sleep in a little on Tuesday (you're going to need it!) and then tour Universal at a leisurely pace mid-morning through closing and then possibly head to Citywalk for dinner. Friday you could do MGM and then hop to MK for the party at 4:00 p.m. It makes more sense to stay in WDW that day since you have the party that evening.

And yes, I'd probably cancel the 7:30 PS at LTT. You'll be missing a lot of the festivities by having a big sit-down at that time.

GOOD IDEA......i should also leave some time for REST right?

Yes...i will drop the PS for Liberty Tree Tavern!

More suggestions are apprecaited for a desparate guy like me! LOL

Btw, can we bring a backpack full of food and drinks into the parks? HAve to be searched and scanned by security?

Sounds like you done a great job researching and planning everything.

My only thought is about AK for Mon. We have been several times and have yet to spend more than 3/4 of a day at AK if you plan to get there first thing in morning and then stay till your PS at 8:00 at Jiko you may find by mid afternoon you have done most, if not everything, you want to do.

You might want to change your car res. If it's $104 for the week or the duration of your trip, take it. If that's the price for one day, try to find something cheaper at a different company, or go online and try to find some coupons for a discounted price. I'm working at Enterprise right now, usually a standard/inter. car usually goes for $50.00, plus tax.

Everybody's preferences are different, so what's right for me might not be right for you, but I'll give you .02 from my p.o.v. anyway. I'm no help on the Universal part, but with WDW trip #10 looming, I've definitely got some opinions on that.

I'm gathering that this is an "adults only" visit, no kids involved, so that shifts some WDW things around on the priority list.

On Sunday, check the park hours, I believe MK is open til 11pm(?) If so, I'm not sure the extra crowding that comes with Extra magic hour is worth the hassle. Heck, it probably is worth it there on Day One of the trip, but only with the caveat that "you should have a game plan". In my experience, Extra magic gives you a chance to work 1-2 sections of park without the eventual lines & crowds. We usually work far left (Adventureland - for Pirates & Jungle Cruise) or far right (Tomorrowland for Indy Speedway & Buzz Lightyear). I'd suggest aiming yourself toward whatever section has the most appeal to you & work it over as much as possible.

As for Monday, it bears noting that I'm definitely not a fan of AK.
AFAIC, a half-day there is plenty, but your mileage may vary. And even then, early opening there has never been anything short of a nightmare for me -- not enough gates open, not enough security to search bags, etc., etc. Have breakfast, miss the 1st wave crush, do it a little later in the morning.

Tuesday, MGM early entry is up to you, I've BTDT enough that it isn't worth it to me, but IMO it is probably the least affected by the "early entry means extra crowds" phenomenon. Just like MK, have a game plan. Use the shortest lines of the day to hit your top priority item(s). On the first visit, I'd say a half-day might be pushing MGM a little bit, but it probably isn't a from open-til-close park either. One option for the time left over is to head to Epcot & browse the nations at the top. You didn't mention a meal planned for Tuesday night that I saw, and Epcot easily has the best variety & selection of counter-service options for the evening meal.

Wednesday, plan ahead for the limited number of attractions open for early entry ... and then do what most people are doing, which is head for Test Track and/or Mission:Space. Of all the parks, I feel like Epcot probably gives the biggest advantage of early opening, grab your TT fastpasses & then get in the still-short line. But don't spend too much time gawking at the scenery on your way up there or you'll lose a good bit of the advantage; you can sightsee later :)

Friday, again I'm not sure off-hand about the park hours, but the dinner takes about 45-50 minutes once you're seated. If they're on the ball with taking care of PS patrons, then it's probably worth doing. A traditional comfort food menu usually goes pretty well toward the end of the week, and you aren't going to get through the line, find a table, eat, etc. that much faster with a counter-service option anyway.

That last half-day, it's become our habit to use doing some final shopping at Downtown Disney. Your option, first trip together it might be a good chance to close out the trip with a personal favorite

Anyhow, that's probably more like .03 worth, but hopefully there's at least a nugget or two of good info in there somewhere.

sky7777 said:
Btw, can we bring a backpack full of food and drinks into the parks? HAve to be searched and scanned by security?
Anything you carry into the parks will be searched by security at the front gate. You can bring in a reasonable amount of food and snacks and drinks without anyone saying anything. NO GLASS bottles of any kind -- that's a safety thing. Also, if you're bringing your own lunch or dinner into the parks, find a place to eat that does not take a cafe or outdoor seating table from a paying customer at that foods area. For example, don't crack open the backpack and spread out on one of the outdoor tables at Casey's or Pecos Bills, unless there are LOTS of empty spaces. Even then, try to sit in an unobtrusive area so that you don't end up with some person's child saying, "Mommy -- THEY have peanut butter sandwiches, why can't I have one?" and starting a major scene! :) Some may not agree with this, but I'd also be careful how much of the restaurants "stuff" (plastic utensils, napkins, ketchup, condiments, sugar, creamers, etc) that you use. After all, you're not paying to eat there, and that stuff is for the folks who are.

:earsboy:

Just a couple of thoughts:

I would not ask for a free upgrade at AKL. I would simply ask what kind of view do I have. If the cm states a savannah view then you know you received an upgrade...if not and you really would like a savannah view then I would ask if any savannah view rooms are available. We upgraded from a pool view to a savannah view for $10 in October.

Remember that Sunday, 12/12, is also MVMCP so MK will only be open until 6pm for regular ticket holders.

For an adult only couple I think AK can be a full day park. We usually arrive by 9:30am and can stay until 5pm easily. We leisurely enjoy the walking trails, shows, and attractions and find that it takes a full day to complete everything we would like to do. I might be in the minority on this one, but we love AK.

Take some time to relax at AKL. The resort is so beautiful!

Have a great trip!

sky7777 said:
GOOD IDEA......i should also leave some time for REST right?

Maybe we are in the minority, but we really don't go to WDW to rest. Even the trips with the kids, we may find a shady spot to sit for a half hour or so in the afternoon, but we don't do the mid-day rests. And an adult-only trip wouldn't warrant any rests for us! We can rest when we get home!!! JMHO!

Have a great time, and I'd love to read a trip report when you get back! We're going the same week in Dec in 05 and am curious as to crowds/temps, etc.

Suzanne, yes...I will cancel PS for LTT....will catch something simple to enjoy the party to the fullest! thanks :)

Kimberly, GOOD IDEA! Yeah..will move things around so that I have Friday go lighter during the day time at MGM and then 4pm to MK for MVCP! :)

kar, AK can be done in half day too???

middlega, THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME to suggest me some great plans! SO, u also think I can get MGM - half day and AK - half day?

Wow....then I have extra days left in my 5 days' hopper pass!!! I can save the left over for a year right? or forever?

WDSearcher..thanks for the answer. WIll try to stuff more food in my bag! LOL. Btw, do u know they will provide fridge in rooms in AKL and Wilderness Lodge? Planning to get some food from grocessary stores! Any tips?

stepman, i'd sent u a pm...can u check? :smooth:

Caribear....u were saying i can easily spend a day in AK?

kimwim..thanks for the advice! :)

BTW, I have done some homework just now....posting here...may be a help to others. :)

12/11 (Sat)
MK: 9.00am – 12.00am (Share a Dream Come True: 3.00pm; SpectroMagic Parade: 9.00pm and 11.00pm; Wishes Nightime Spectacular: 10.00pm)
Epcot: Future World: 9.00am – 7.00pm; World Showcase: 11.00am – 9.30pm (Illumination: 9.30pm)
MGM: 9.00am – 8.00pm (Hollywood Holly Day Parade: 3.30pm; FANTASMIC: 7.00pm)
AK: 9.00am – 5.00pm (Mickey’s Jingle Jungle Parade: 3.45pm)
Island of Adventure: 9.00pm – 7.00pm
Universal Studio: 9.00pm – 7.00pm

12/12 (Sun) MVCP
MK: 9.00am – 7.00pm (Share a Dream Come True: 3.00pm)
Epcot: Future World: 9.00am – 7.00pm; World Showcase: 11.00am – 9.30pm (Illumination: 9.30pm)

12/13 (Mon)
MK: 9.00am – 7.00pm (Share a Dream Come True: 3.00pm; SpectroMagic Parade: 6.00pm; Wishes Nightime Spectacular: 7.00pm)

12/14 (Tue) MVCP
MK: 9.00am – 6.00pm (Share a Dream Come True: 3.00pm)

12/15 (Wed)
MK: 9.00am –7.00pm (Share a Dream Come True: 3.00pm; SpectroMagic Parade: 6.00pm; Wishes Nightime Spectacular: 7.00pm)

12/16 (Th) MVCP
MK: 9.00am –6.00pm (Share a Dream Come True: 3.00pm)

12/17 (Fri) MVCP
MK: 9.00am –6.00pm (Share a Dream Come True: 3.00pm)

12/18 (Sat)
MK: 9.00am – 12.00am (Share a Dream Come True: 2.00pm; SpectroMagic Parade: 9.00pm and 11.00pm; Wishes Nightime Spectacular: 10.00pm)
Island of Adventure: 9.00pm – 8.00pm

Okay here's my sample itinerary of your holiday trip. I am taking into account the 2 fixed days on your schedule--Wednesday at Epcot and Friday the Xmas Party at MK.

12/11 Sat--Arrive,etc....check in to AKL....get settled and check out your awesome resort. Evening....DTD...La Nouba is good,but yes it is expensive. Wolfgang's is a good choice.

12/12 Sun--MK EE. As others have said have a definite plan of what you want to do once you get there. This is the one park you don't want to drive to if you are a resort guest. If you drive, you have to park;take a tram;then take the monorail or ferry to the MK entrance. Resort busses will take you straight to the entrance. If the park gets too busy, remember you return later in the week. Then, you could park hop.

12/13 and 12/14--Mon/Tues--I would use these as your US and IOA days. You can still keep your PS at Jiko since you are staying at the AKL

12/15 Wed--Keep this the same

12/16 Thurs--Animal Kingdom. I really like this park too. We have skipped the shows the last few trips, but probably will see them again in Jan. IF you really explore this park and it's smaller trails, you can spend a full day here. If you don't you can hop.....

12/17 Fri--MGM right at opening. Eat at late lunch at MGM (several good sit-downs there). Head back to hotel and then to party. I too would try and skip the dinner at LTT, it eats right into your time.

12/18 Sat--Check out and head to a park if you feel like you missed out on something or you could save the day as they don't expire. You could just go to DTD and do some shopping.......

12/14 (Tue)-Utilize extra magi hour to enter MGM Studio

Dont know if you changed day for MGM or not ... But I suggest you get PS for FANTASMIC .... not to be missed I hear ! I have mine set up for my trip so I cant tell you about it myself.... here is the link about it ....

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=292551

I am going for 10 days and decided to skip Universal this time... havent been, but decided to go all out Disney and have extra time to take it slow.

USE FAST PASSES !!!!

have fun !!!

Yes...I was going to move my MGM tour to Friday and go to MK for MVCP at 4pm. But like alot of people said (my wifey also wanted to...)...we shouldn't miss MGM's Fanstamic??? So.....any better solution to see Fanstamic without spending all day there.....using my current itineary?

Thanks jordanyosh for the taking the time to run me a sample plan! :)

sky7777 said:
Yes...I was going to move my MGM tour to Friday and go to MK for MVCP at 4pm. But like alot of people said (my wifey also wanted to...)...we shouldn't miss MGM's Fanstamic??? So.....any better solution to see Fanstamic without spending all day there.....using my current itineary?

Thanks jordanyosh for the taking the time to run me a sample plan! :)
Your welcome.....I would think that on either your MK day or AK day you could hop over to MGM for Fantasmic.

Well thats the challenge. Fantasmic lines are long .. can be 30-90 minutes... so why not get a PS for meal and not have to wait in that line ? You should be able to go eat, maybe see a couple things ... and then go to the straight to the show with your ticket they give you at the meal ... either on a MGM day of on the AK day, split it up. I dunno what else to suggest than to chance it and maybe have to wait.

:) PG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter