Disney Transportation

chiburple

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I just got off the phone with DCL and received the following information about Disney transportation between the pier and the hotel. Could someone who's done this verify that what they told me is correct (I've been given the wrong information before).

Disney Hotel To Ship
- They pick up bags the night before at 8pm. If you're arriving late, you can given them your bags in the morning when you board the bus. From that point the bags will be taken to your room.
- Pick up is between 11:00 am and 12:30 pm (Assigned)

Ship to Disney Hotel
- You have to pick up your bags at the terminal and take them through security yourself
- Service to the hotel is offered continuously from 8:30 to 9/9:30

Both Ways:
- Travel time is between an hour and an hour and a half.
- Cost is $35/person each way

I forgot to ask what happens to our bags when we arrive at the hotel. Do we take them off the bus ourselves or does Disney take them to our room for us (as would be the case with the magical express)?

How do people feel about using the Disney transportation to go between the hotel and the ship? Has anyone tried any private service they would recommend over the Disney transportation?

Thanks!
Marise

Hi,

I just got off the phone with DCL and received the following information about Disney transportation between the pier and the hotel. Could someone who's done this verify that what they told me is correct (I've been given the wrong information before).

Disney Hotel To Ship
- They pick up bags the night before at 8pm. If you're arriving late, you can given them your bags in the morning when you board the bus. From that point the bags will be taken to your room.

I thought they pick up in the morning....:confused3.

Ship to Disney Hotel
- You have to pick up your bags at the terminal and take them through security yourself

Buses can leave as early as 8:00 am from the ship and yes, you do have to claim your own luggage and bring it through customs and it will be put under the bus.

Both Ways:

Yes...give or take a few minutes....and you may make more than one resort stop depending on how many people are going to different resorts on your bus.
I forgot to ask what happens to our bags when we arrive at the hotel. Do we take them off the bus ourselves or does Disney take them to our room for us (as would be the case with the magical express)?

How do people feel about using the Disney transportation to go between the hotel and the ship? Has anyone tried any private service they would recommend over the Disney transportation?

DCL transfers are costly but very convenient. You have to see what is best for your needs.
Thanks!
Marise

Answers in bold above.

MJ

Hi,

Disney Hotel To Ship
- They pick up bags the night before at 8pm. No, no, no! they pick them up the morning of the cruise, around 8 a.m. If you're arriving late, you can give them your bags in the morning when you board the bus. From that point the bags will be taken to your room.

Ship to Disney Hotel
- You have to pick up your bags at the terminal and take them through security yourself It's through customs, but yes.

Both Ways:

I forgot to ask what happens to our bags when we arrive at the hotel. Do we take them off the bus ourselves yes or does Disney take them to our room for us (as would be the case with the magical express)?

Thanks!
Marise

We've used DCL transfers, and private transportation. Depends on how many people are traveling with us. If it's 4 or more, it's cheaper to use a car service, such as Happy Limo or Tiffany Town Car.

Just to clarify...this is regarding DCL transfers between WDW and Port Canaveral, correct?

This sounds about right, though I haven't taken DCL transfer from WDW to port. But I thought the luggage pick-up is 8am, not 8pm.

Transfers from PC to WDW post-cruise will start as soon as the bus fills, with debarkation typically starting about 7:30am, so first bus might pull out as early as 8am (we've been at resort check-in by 9am). When you arrive at the resort, the bus driver will assist to get the luggage out from under the bus, and usually (depends on your resort) Bell Services staff takes over from there. If you room is available immediately, they'll bring the bags then, or hold them until you call later. Unlike ME, in our experience luggage left with Bell Services will not automatically be delivered until you call for it.

As for other transfer options, it might depend on the size of your party. Car rental is likely your least expensive though involves more effort on your part. Private car service maybe less expensive if you have 4 or more in your party, and can be tailored to your needs - i.e., a grocery stop on the way, not having to be 3rd stop because the bus went to 2 other resorts first, etc.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks all! :goodvibes

See this is why I verify these things. Lol. On the phone she told me pick up would be the night before. Can anyone else verify that this is actually 8am? Seems early since we can't even board till 11?

We're going to be a family of 5 traveling together. I'd actually like to schedule a breakfast at O'hanas the day of our cruise so the first pick up time is a consideration for me as well as what I would have to do in the morning to make sure our bags come with us.

Yes, I'm looking at WDW to Port Canaveral :)

See this is why I verify these things. Lol. On the phone she told me pick up would be the night before. Can anyone else verify that this is actually 8am? Seems early since we can't even board till 11?

We're going to be a family of 5 traveling together. I'd actually like to schedule a breakfast at O'hanas the day of our cruise so the first pick up time is a consideration for me as well as what I would have to do in the morning to make sure our bags come with us.

Bags are generally picked up from inside your room between 8:00-8:30 AM. They are trucked to the port, not on the busses. Getting them there as early as possible helps with the sorting process.

Bags are generally picked up from inside your room between 8:00-8:30 AM. They are trucked to the port, not on the busses. Getting them there as early as possible helps with the sorting process.

So do we have to be in the room when they pick up our bags? Can we just leave them by the door with tags and go to our breakfast?

Thanks for your help!

And you don't have to be there when they pick them up. You can go have an early breakfast. It is only one or two buses they will come to your resort at about the same time...there are not different times for the bus at one resort. If one fills up they may call for another. When you check in to your resort tell them you have a DCL transfers and they will give you a letter with the times you need to meet for the bus. I do not think it would be much earlier than 10:30 ish.

Just make sure your bags are tagged with the DCL luggage tags you will get in the mail with your cruise docs. Put them on the night before or early morning of your cruise (before your luggage is picked up obviously)

MJ

See this is why I verify these things. Lol. On the phone she told me pick up would be the night before. Sounds like the phone CM needs some additional training. Luggage for disembarking cruise passengers is picked up on the ship the last night of the cruise, so that may be what confused her. Can anyone else verify that this is actually 8am? Our luggage was picked up at the Grand Floridian about 8:15 a.m. Seems early since we can't even board till 11?

We're going to be a family of 5 traveling together. I'd actually like to schedule a breakfast at O'hanas the day of our cruise so the first pick up time is a consideration for me as well as what I would have to do in the morning to make sure our bags come with us. I get paranoid about my luggage too. After your breakfast you could go back to your room and make sure your luggage is gone. If it's still sitting there, you could take it with you on the bus.

Have fun!

Thank you everyone for all the help! :thanks: :disrocks:

I do have one last question :duck: : has anyone ever tried renting a car from the airport and dropping it off at Port Canaveral? Did it work well or did you run into problems?

I am very happy to hear that the luggage pick up is am and not pm!:)

I am not happy now that I realize it is am because I was hoping to sleep in:rotfl:

I am rather lazy ::yes:: so will do the am because I don't want to shlep the bags myself:laughing:!

I am happy for all of you - for your continued good advice and willingness to share!:thumbsup2

chiburple said:

I used the disney transfers last year for pre and post cruise transportation. I stayed at CBR and.our luggage was picked by 8-8.30a.m and taken straight to the ship. The pick-up time for us was 12.30. We arrived at PC at about 1.45, went through security, checked in very quickly and.went straight on to the ship !
On the way back we decided to take our luggage off the ship ourselves then back to WDW. It took longer to wait for people, that would be the only down side. The transfers are pricey which is why I will only use DCL to go back to MCO.

Thank you everyone for all the help! :thanks: :disrocks:

I do have one last question :duck: : has anyone ever tried renting a car from the airport and dropping it off at Port Canaveral? Did it work well or did you run into problems?

dozens of times.....yes it works for our family. The rental agencies near the port are:

Avis, Budget, Hertz, Thrifty/Dollar, Alamo/Enterprise (and possibly National).
Check with National to see if they accept drop offs or pick ups at that location.

You can find car renal discount codes at www.mousesavers.com

MJ

I used the disney transfers last year for pre and post cruise transportation. I stayed at CBR and.our luggage was picked by 8-8.30a.m and taken straight to the ship. The pick-up time for us was 12.30. We arrived at PC at about 1.45, went through security, checked in very quickly and.went straight on to the ship !
On the way back we decided to take our luggage off the ship ourselves then back to WDW. It took longer to wait for people, that would be the only down side. The transfers are pricey which is why I will only use DCL to go back to MCO.

Great, thanks for sharing! Especially about the pick up time and arrival at PC - those factors are seriously weighing on my decision now. When did you find out what your pick up time would be? Was it when you arrived at the hotel or before?

dozens of times.....yes it works for our family. The rental agencies near the port are:

Avis, Budget, Hertz, Thrifty/Dollar, Alamo/Enterprise (and possibly National).
Check with National to see if they accept drop offs or pick ups at that location.

You can find car renal discount codes at www.mousesavers.com

MJ

:thanks: That list is extremely helpful. How easy or hard was it to get from the drop off place to the port? I'm starting to lean towards renting a car for the trip to the port and using DCL transfers for the trip back.

Great, thanks for sharing! Especially about the pick up time and arrival at PC - those factors are seriously weighing on my decision now. When did you find out what your pick up time would be? Was it when you arrived at the hotel or before?

:thanks: That list is extremely helpful. How easy or hard was it to get from the drop off place to the port? I'm starting to lean towards renting a car for the trip to the port and using DCL transfers for the trip back.

Very easy...they all have shuttles to take you from rental office to the port. You have two options that morning.

1. Drive to the rental office (all are within 2-3 miles of the port) and unload your luggage, wait for the shuttle bus to the port, load your luggage, load you group and head to the port.

or

2. Drive directly to the port, unload all luggage to be checked with a porter, drop off any other family members, tip porter, drive to rental car office and just one person with no luggage hop the shuttle back to the terminal and meet up with others inside. This option has lots less schlepping of luggage and it is easier for one to find a seat on the shuttle then a family. If you choose this option make sure the one returning the car has a government issued photo ID as they will need that to get into the port area and in the terminal to meet up with the other members of the family inside. A driver's license is fine. The others can have all the cruise docs with them and start the check in process while you are returning the car.

What you are thinking about doing is what we do....use a one-way rental to the port as we usually spend the night in a Port area hotel, go shopping for last minute items, go out for a nice dinner on the channel, pick up some booze, relax by the pool, etc. Cruise morning we are dropped off with luggage at the port and hubby return the car and meets us in the terminal.

On the return we book DCL transfers to take advantage of the Onboard Airline Check In Program which is very convenient. You sign up with DCL and if your flights fit the criteria DCL will check you in for your return flight, deliver your boarding passes and airline luggage tags to your cabin on the last evening. On the last evening you would put your checked luggage out in the hall and DCL will then deliver it to the airport and you won't see it again until your home airport when you land. You do not have to claim in the port terminal after you leave the ship...you just go through customs with your day carry ons. You only board the bus with your carry ons. So very convenient and worth the $35 pp fee for the transfer.

Here is the info on the Onboard Airline Check In Program "OAC"

Onboard Airline Check-In

Enjoy the comfort and convenience of Onboard Airline Check-In when you purchase air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line.

When you register for Onboard Airline Check-In, you are entitled to:
" Receive your boarding passes and check your luggage for your return flight before you disembark the ship.
" Skip luggage claim at the port terminal.
" Bypass the airline check-in counter at the airport.

Here's how it works:
1. Reserve air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line and sign up for Onboard Airline Check-In when you check in for your cruise at the port.
2. On the day prior to disembarkation, your airline boarding passes and valet luggage tags will magically be delivered to your stateroom, along with a letter answering common questions you may have.
3. Attach the tags to your luggage and leave your bags outside your stateroom on the evening prior to disembarkation. Disney Cruise Line will collect and deliver your luggage to your airline.
4. When you arrive at Orlando International Airport, proceed to security with your boarding passes already in hand and continue on to your scheduled departure gate.

Available to Guests flying out of Orlando International Airport on domestic flights (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) on AirTran Airways, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, United Airlines and US Airways.
Pre-registration is required and scheduled flights must be after 11:25 a.m. On the day your cruise ends. Guests are limited to 2 bags per person and each piece must not exceed 50 lbs. Additionally, some Guests may be selected to check in at the airport and will be unable to use this service.

Hope this helps.

MJ

Very easy...they all have shuttles to take you from rental office to the port. You have two options that morning.

1. Drive to the rental office (all are within 2-3 miles of the port) and unload your luggage, wait for the shuttle bus to the port, load your luggage, load you group and head to the port.

or

2. Drive directly to the port, unload all luggage to be checked with a porter, drop off any other family members, tip porter, drive to rental car office and just one person with no luggage hop the shuttle back to the terminal and meet up with others inside. This option has lots less schlepping of luggage and it is easier for one to find a seat on the shuttle then a family. If you choose this option make sure the one returning the car has a government issued photo ID as they will need that to get into the port area and in the terminal to meet up with the other members of the family inside. A driver's license is fine. The others can have all the cruise docs with them and start the check in process while you are returning the car.

What you are thinking about doing is what we do....use a one-way rental to the port as we usually spend the night in a Port area hotel, go shopping for last minute items, go out for a nice dinner on the channel, pick up some booze, relax by the pool, etc. Cruise morning we are dropped off with luggage at the port and hubby return the car and meets us in the terminal.

On the return we book DCL transfers to take advantage of the Onboard Airline Check In Program which is very convenient. You sign up with DCL and if your flights fit the criteria DCL will check you in for your return flight, deliver your boarding passes and airline luggage tags to your cabin on the last evening. On the last evening you would put your checked luggage out in the hall and DCL will then deliver it to the airport and you won't see it again until your home airport when you land. You do not have to claim in the port terminal after you leave the ship...you just go through customs with your day carry ons. You only board the bus with your carry ons. So very convenient and worth the $35 pp fee for the transfer.

Here is the info on the Onboard Airline Check In Program "OAC"

Onboard Airline Check-In

Enjoy the comfort and convenience of Onboard Airline Check-In when you purchase air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line.

When you register for Onboard Airline Check-In, you are entitled to:
" Receive your boarding passes and check your luggage for your return flight before you disembark the ship.
" Skip luggage claim at the port terminal.
" Bypass the airline check-in counter at the airport.

Here's how it works:
1. Reserve air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line and sign up for Onboard Airline Check-In when you check in for your cruise at the port.
2. On the day prior to disembarkation, your airline boarding passes and valet luggage tags will magically be delivered to your stateroom, along with a letter answering common questions you may have.
3. Attach the tags to your luggage and leave your bags outside your stateroom on the evening prior to disembarkation. Disney Cruise Line will collect and deliver your luggage to your airline.
4. When you arrive at Orlando International Airport, proceed to security with your boarding passes already in hand and continue on to your scheduled departure gate.

Available to Guests flying out of Orlando International Airport on domestic flights (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) on AirTran Airways, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, United Airlines and US Airways.
Pre-registration is required and scheduled flights must be after 11:25 a.m. On the day your cruise ends. Guests are limited to 2 bags per person and each piece must not exceed 50 lbs. Additionally, some Guests may be selected to check in at the airport and will be unable to use this service.

Hope this helps.

MJ

Helps a lot! Thank you!!
I think I will do exactly what you suggested about having one person return the car - is it sad I might not have thought of that on my own?:rotfl2: Makes so much sense though!

Can we check our luggage at the ship to be sent to the airport even if we want to rent a car to tour around before boarding our return flight? (ie, not use dcl transfer)

Can we check our luggage at the ship to be sent to the airport even if we want to rent a car to tour around before boarding our return flight? (ie, not use dcl transfer)

I believe the answer is no, you can only do that by taking DCL transfers. Can someone confirm?

chiburple said:

When i arrived in my room after check-in the day before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter