• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Transportation - Use it or Lose it?

Jessiemendez1

Mouseketeer
Ok, I am in need of some advice. We are going in first half of September, 6 of us + a 1 year old. Is Disney transportation (buses) efficient? What are the wait times like in September? Will I save time driving? We went last June, and rented a car, and not sure if the time we spent parking and then walking would be more than waiting for the bus etc. And what about the Magical Express?? Didn't use that last time either!

On our trip last October, we used Magical Express, Disney transportation, and taxis for offsite. We rented a car for two days to go to Busch Gardens. While my boyfriend (now fiance') had previously loved Disney Transportation, having the car opened is eyes to new options. When we go again, we will have a rental care AND use Disney Transportation. We kind of liked the options and are willing to pay the extra for it.

I think it is a mixed bag. Disney transportation can be faster, or slower. No way to know at any point in time which it will be. Could be faster on your way into the park in the morning, then slower on your way back to the resort. The big advantages I see to Disney Transportation are I don't have to buy gas, and I can return to the hotel as exhausted as I want to, and not have to worry about driving in that condition. Generally, the ONLY time I use my own car is if I have breakfast at Chef Mickeys before going to the park, then I will drive to the contemporary, and valet park for the day.

Taking the Disney bus to the Magic Kingdom from a WDW resort is really the best way. Using your car to go just about anywhere else is usually faster. Having a car also lets you escape Disney's 24\7 control, if you want to do some of the great Orlando places.

We used Disney transportation exclusively when we were there in April. I loved it - especially Magical Express. While I don't mind driving, there was something SO NICE about knowing that I didn't have to worry about driving anywhere for our entire vacation. It took away a lot of potential stress for me. I do live in the city and am used to taking public transit, so the Disney bus system is like a dream compared to what I'm used to. For a lot of people, it may be annoying to wait, share transportation, etc. Maybe someday we will rent a car but as for now I think we'll stick with Disney transportation. I don't recall waiting much more than 10-15 minutes for any bus/boat/monorail.

We always drive and have a vehicle but last time we took my truck which is too big to park at most places so we utilized transportation more than usual. MK it's just easier to use Disney buses. The rest of the parks we used to drive, if we did rope drop and get parking without using the tram (seemed to be quicker). This last trip was during Easter 2014 and it seemed easier to use Disney transportation. DTD was a disaster and you couldn't drive even if you wanted to. If I was flying in I wouldn't rent a car just for that option of driving but if we had off property plans it's a nice option to drive to the parks except MK.

We started driving to save on air fare 6 or 7 years ago. We tried using a car that first trip to get around rather than the Disney buses, and have not looked back. While Disney transportation is good, not having to wait for a bus, be crammed in a bus like a sardine, or having to stand after a long day in the parks is very very nice. The only time we still use bus transportation is for the Magic Kingdom. While driving there is OK, you still wind up parking, taking a tram to either a monorail or boat, and waiting even longer than just using the bus to the front gate.

Driving around WDW is almost always more efficient, so if that is your sole decision criteria, definitely drive. The exception being MK if you are staying at a monorail resort.

Some people are willing to give up efficiency for not having to drive, like those who may want to enjoy an adult beverage it two or those who just aren't that comfortable driving around property. If you're in that group, then definitely busses.

Personally I'm in the rental car camp. I like being in control of my departure times and I like that it's faster.

Driving is quicker in our experience. I guess for MK the bus could be better but I don't find the ferry a big deal so we drive there too. We drive everywhere when we are there (unless we can walk/monorail)

one bonus is not having to carry your keys, and when I only use a drawstring bag, that's awesome....

as another poster said, convenience is part of it....I don't have to walk far, don't really have to think, just show up and wait 10 min or less, and get dropped off at the gates....another thing I just thought about is park hopping, it is easier for me to just take the bus....

why would I want to rent a car for a budget trip when I have a $74 rate at the all stars, using my AP, and flying southwest for $108? That's a bunch of money I would be wasting just to have a car nearby....

though I don't have a youngin as you do....only you will know how you will handle the on and off from the buses....

It never occurred to me to rent a car. We always fly (sounds like you are too, this time anyway), so I can't see adding the cost of a car, like PP. And with ME, we don't have to wait for our bags; sounds like you'll have a lot to wait for and wrangle with 6 people. We just get on the bus, get a cool drink in our refillable mugs at the resort, and wait for our txt saying our room is ready. I do online check-in, so we bypass the front desk, too. It's about an hour, maybe a little more, from landing to poolside, depending.

Then there's the fact that it's always me who has to figure out the route and do the driving. It's become easier with Google navigation, but with a Disney vacation, I really want to be on vacation. Oh, and I hate parking lots ( the only accident I've been in was in one on Long Island). They bring out the worst in everyone, inside our car and out! So whenever I get a glimpse of the lots from the bus on the way to a park, I think, glad it's not me.

The downside is some resorts have the very last station at the parks, and that can be a long, long way on tired feet. We usually get a seat, but they do get very crowded.

As far as I'm concerned, Disney transportation is the only advantage of staying onsite. If I were going to have a car anyway, I would stay offsite.

We used DME and Disney Transportation last time (end of May), it was very convenient, never really had to wait too long for any bus or the monorail. I think it may depend on which resort you are staying at to some extent. Besides 6 + 1 people in one car?

We've rented a couple of times previously, one time the car just sat in the resort parking lot the whole week until we drove to US at the end of our stay. And then on another trip, we drove to MK and the car got hit in the parking lot. I just don't want to deal with anything extra on vacation.

Wait times in September... we've never been but everything I've read and all the crowd calendars say this is one of the least crowded times.

Magical Express (DME) was great. Waited about 10 minutes at the airport, then off to the resort. Luggage arrived about 3 hours after we did, but as many will suggest bring in your carry-on everything you will need for the first 24 hours, just in case and especially with a 1 year old.

Last edited:
We have done it both ways. The last time we rented a car it sat in the parking lot the entire week. No more
Not driving is part of the vacation for us. We expect to wait 15 - 20 minutes for the bus so we are not frustrated or upset by the wait, Actually we are usually pleasantly surprised by the shorter wait. We too are used to public transportation. Standing on a bus is not a problem either.
We enjoy the benefit of Disney transportation and we do not want or need a rental car.

Rarely ever had a problem with WDW Buses, except if you leave as the park closes.it can be a wait then. Other wise usually we have the bus show up within 14 minutes or so. Even if we have a car, we still usually use the buses.

AKK

We usually take a cab to the parks in the morning. That way we don't have to get up super early to get to a bus stop and wait 20 minutes for a bus (I get really antsy waiting for a bus when I want to get somewhere in a hurry) and we don't have to worry about stopping at another resort or stop at the same resort. A cab will cost about $20 from any point to any point at Disney. We'll usually take a Disney bus when we go back to the resort as we are in less of a hurry.

we use disney transportation and really like it. as pp said, we expect to wait about 15-20 mins and are usually pleasantly surprised by a shorter wait. i like not having to even think about traffic, parking, etc. it's also part of the bubble for me, even if i have to stand and get smushed into a crowded bus, lol. it just wouldn't be the same for me to drive. the only advantage that i could see for us in having a car would be to store a change of clothes etc which admittedly would be nice, but not worth giving up the bubble.

I drive down every time, valet park my car (cause I'm lazy) and don't see it again until I leave. I love the convenience of not having to drive and worry about parking. When DS was little and still in a stroller, I would rent one of the Disney strollers while in the park so there was no issue of getting a stroller on and off the bus (plus when he was little I stayed at the MK resorts so it was monorail anyway). Even when I stay in a value or a moderate resort, that car stays parked.

The buses are great. I never rent a car but I went with family last time that did and the car was really just used for groceries and stuff like that. I don't think its necessary at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter