Disney Transfers vs Private transfers to Ship

NJBILL

Always Keep An Eye To The Sky
I currently have the Disney Ground Transfers from AKL to Ship. My only issue is the timing of the bus to the ship. HAs anyone used Disney, and what time do you actually get to the ship. It seems if you use private transfers, you can get there a lot earlier. The price of both are similar for the (5) of us. :confused3

I am quite sure if you ask DCL (call the toll free number) they should be able to tell you an approx. time.

I've read that the first transfers from the airport leave at 9 or 9:30. That would be early enough for me, probably.

However, I was annoyed by the cost of the transfers. Our total would have been $240 r/t for a little trip from the airport to P.C. and back. I found that a bit steep. We've tentatively decided to drive down from Kentucky straight to P.C., about a 12-hour drive. Gas might be expensive, but we'll definitely save money on airfare and those transfers, and can arrive at P.C. as early as we like. We would have already had to get a hotel room with a flight anyway. We may as well spend that hotel money on a hotel en route to P.C. from here.

I have used the dcl transfers from resorts, 3 times and we arrived at the ship 1:30pm. (we never left before 12pm)

The buses tend to arrive to the port quite close together so there are a lot of people getting through.

This year we are getting a town car from FLtours its picking us up @9am so we should arrive @ the port about 10:15 in time for it opening.

I found it very frustrating waiting around at a resort when I knew people were on the ship.

Some rent or drive. Many people choose to hire a towncar/limo. It's sometimes cheaper or about the same price as DCL transportation. The bus from WDW resorts don't get you there until early to mid afternoon in some cases, from what I've read & from other posts. Ask them what time they pick you up & which resorts you'll stop at. When we checked they wouldn't pick us up until after 12 & then we had to made stops at two more resorts.

There are discounts by using sponsors on this site or on allearsnet.com's site.

We are splurging a Hummerzine for fun w/ another family on the way to the boat & the 14 passenger sprinter van on the way back is the same price as DCL transportation would cost for a one way to the airport. The driver will have Disney movies & pop for the kids.

Check your options. Good luck! Here are some links to what others have done:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1062045&highlight=limo+DCL

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=872496&highlight=limo+DCL

we went from GF to port and port to AKL this Jan. The former took about 1 hour including two stops at other resorts, and the latter about 45 min, but we had to wait 30 min for some guys who was suppose to board but never did show so it ended up being 1hr 15 min. It was actually quite nice because you get to watch disney cartoons on the way. I was also concerned about the late timing prior to our trip.But we ended up arriving at 1pm and the queue wasn't all that bad just yet.Heard it got really long after 2pm.

When we took the transfer from AK we arrived at the ship at 1:30. I wish I had arrived sooner! It was also raining and there were loads of people trying to get onto the bus. It was a bit crazy. :rolleyes:

If the price is the same, I would go for the private transfer!!!! While I really liked the DCL bus and it did add to the excitement. Check with Disney and see what time the bus arrives at AKL -- if it's early, stay with it, if it's a later pick up (say noon) then go private. We had to find something to do the morning of the departure. At AKL at least you would have the animals ;) Plus it drove me nuts knowing that people were boarding and I was just sitting there waiting for a bus! Then it did appear as tho every single bus arrived when we did along with a tour bus because we were in line for about 2 hours which I hear is not the norm. but it sure was frustrating for us! When we finally got on board it was really rush rush to get us to lunch because they were closing to switch to dinner. Hope that helps!!!! Enjoy your trip!!!

We are flyingin the night before and decided to rent from Avis so we would have car seats for the kids. A 24 hour mid size car w/ pickup in Orl and drop off in PC was only $40 (plus car seats). This was cheaper than any transport I found, plus it lets us get around Friday night in PC.

For our Turkey 2005 Cruise (that being our first) we used Happy Limo to and fro... splurged on the to with a stretch and meekly returned in a town... while I did read the boards and listened about the prices being quite comparable... I would never do it again... I had my hand in my pocket tipping nonstop!!!

I don't want to mess with my bags AT ALL AT ALL AT ALL... we had tons and it was a big PIA ... and this time we are doing Disney transfers for that reason!!

Now of course this all takes into account a pre-cruise hotel stay!

Think about it (and this is after landing at MCO... we tipped at our airport also) ... airport porter to ride $.... Ride $.... Hotel Porter to Room $.... Hotel Porter to Bus to Cruise $$$.... Bus Driver to Port $$$... then the Port Folks $$$... NOW THAT IS JUST ONE WAY... if you add it up it is way more expense PLUS the hassle of bags, bags, bags... NEVER AGAIN!!!

of course I haven't experienced the disney transports yet but several folks on these boards have been happy with it and especially having not to deal with the bags!! This time we are staying at the airport the night prior --- as an aside --- how do you deal with just being at the park for 1 day? do you actually go into the park? my kids would go bonkers---

I was going to say I was surprised you were finding DCL and private transfers to be about the same with a group of 5. Usually with a larger group private transfers are cheaper, but Scorpio made a good point about all the tipping, so maybe they do work out to be close.

We also do the rental car. I always seem to come up with something I've forgotten. :rolleyes:

Last time it was DD's prescription meds.
Thank heavens we had transportaion and found a fabulous pharmacist at Walgreens who really went out of her way for us and got emergency clearance from our ins. co. to cover a months supply. (I had just had her rx filled before leaving home)
That could have been a $1200 dollar mistake. Yikes!

Oops - that last bit was way OT. Sorry :guilty:

We DO like the convienience of having our own transportation though.
There, back OT at least a bit. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter