Disney To Open Theme Park In Texas

DixieIrishRose

Peace, Love and Pixie Dust
Does anyone know if the rumors are true that Disney has purchased large plots of land North of Frisco, TX (DFW)? I have heard various rumors along this line. Are they really planning a theme park North of Dallas or is this a hoax? Anyone know? Thanks! :confused3

This is a rumor that has been going around for years, about various locations in the U.S. I wouldn't put money on any of them, myself.

Yes, they are building a park in Frisco. It will be called Disney's Texas Adventure, and will be based on Pecos Bill. One of the rides will be an actual tornado which you can ride. Other rides will be Soarin! This one will take you over Texas landscape, with smells from places like Pasadena, TX, where all of the refineries are!

The above should be taken as satire, as far as I know, Disney is not building any new parks based on Iger's comments to the press.

darren

It is just wrong how new people get treated sometimes.

DixieIrishRose, welcome to the boards.

The rumor that Disney is building a new park at X location is the most common one, but is usually wrong. This one is not wrong just innacurate. It is not Disney looking to build a theme park, but a different company called Winterplex. We discussed this rumor a few months ago:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1069918&highlight=texas

OK, I doubt there is any real truth to the Texas rumor but.....

Bob Iger has been talking a great deal lately about Disney getting much deeper into the family travel business. The new Adventures By Disney is one step in that direction for sure and they have the cruise line, etc.

What other big areas of "family travel" exist that Mickey is not already a part of? What about the all-inclusive resort vacation ala Club Med...or better yet--Beaches? Something more like the DVC's Vero Beach or Hilton Head on steroids. Beaches resorts have mini water parks, a hotel with varried accomodations (and prices), lots of sports, pools, sightseeing trips to local shopping and historic attractions, multiple restaurants and so on.

Disney could do this better than anyone. What about a Texas themed resort, or Colorado, or Hawaii--you name it? Not just another Vero, but a big sprawling all-inclusive family resort themed by the Imagineers!

If Disney's America had become a reality, it was well known that they intended to create these half-day parks and resorts in other places around the country---Disney's Texas, Disney's Wild West, etc. Another thing they were going to do was have these guided tours of the surrounding areas, very similar to what they are beginning with "Adventures.."

Well, one can dream. I know I'd go if they built something like that.

Bob Iger said "no more new parks" but he never said "no more new resorts," did he? Gosh--I sound just like Jim Hill. Ugh!

Jakey, your very right ---actualy i just heard that disney bought a bunch of land up here in northern NH and also the White Mountain Hotel. I think that is their plan for this purchase also.

Thanks for the feedback both positive and goofy....

They were talking on the radio last week about an indoor winter sports facility like winterplex in The Colony but I can't imagine where they'd put something that size in that area (60 acres?).

I think someone is mixing their rumors together...

Winterplex must be the park they were talking about.

Coolzone Winterplex is (probably) not going to be built in The Colony itself -- the company that is trying to build it (Bearfire Group LLC) is based in The Colony.

They are still looking at several locations for it, and north of Frisco is one of the rumored/speculated locations. (There is plenty of room, in several locations, north of Frisco for something that size.)

As far as I've been able to determine from what I've read on the Internet, they are still "currently seeking funding for the project" (read: don't hold your breath because this may never happen since they don't have the money to make it happen yet, so they've got to convince other people to give them money to build it).

They are supposedly "also in discussion with a major motion picture studio to use their intellectual property to theme a portion of the park" -- which is maybe where the "Disney is buying land in Texas" rumor got wrapped into it. (Personally, I highly doubt that Disney is the "major motion picture studio" they are talking to.)

I was looking specifically for a thread in regard to this.

A friend of mine, who is in no way a Disney addict like me, told me on Wed. that Disney bought some land somewhere between LLano and Lampasas, TX for some safari type park. I said, "No way, where did you hear this?" She said someone at the tax assesors office when they were scouting property to buy. Tax office person said the land purchase was a done deal. I still don't believe it is true although I don't doubt in any way that this is what was told to my friends' parents as they would have no reason to make this up.

Just looking in with the experts to see if anyone had heard about this.

I don't think anyone buying property for Disney is going to come into the assessor's office and anounce they are working for Disney. If they did just stand back and watch the price of land go up.

They are also planning on building here in Phoenix: "Disney's Desert Adventure". There will be no admission charge, but bottles of water will cost $10 and 15 minutes in the shade will cost $20....

Tink's Tormentor said:
Disney is building a theme park in the meadowlands of NJ... I swear.. I can see the castle from my house..

:rotfl2: the meadowlands?, I think you are talking about medieval times? which is in fact located in the meadowlands and a castle. yeah..

Pasadena smell?? What? I haven't smelt anything, but I've lived her for 30 years so I guess I'm just used to it.

Jakey said:
Bob Iger said "no more new parks" but he never said "no more new resorts," did he? Gosh--I sound just like Jim Hill. Ugh!

That's great. :lmao:

But honestly, you never mentioned how the Imagineers were told they couldn't have any more candy, right after they were told "no more theme parks!"

ktulu said:
Yes, they are building a park in Frisco. It will be called Disney's Texas Adventure, and will be based on Pecos Bill. One of the rides will be an actual tornado which you can ride. Other rides will be Soarin! This one will take you over Texas landscape, with smells from places like Pasadena, TX, where all of the refineries are!

The above should be taken as satire, as far as I know, Disney is not building any new parks based on Iger's comments to the press.

darren
You got my hopes up for nothing, I was looking forward to riding Soarin just so I could smell those yucky refineries in Pasadena...haha

MATTinNH said:
Jakey, your very right ---actualy i just heard that disney bought a bunch of land up here in northern NH and also the White Mountain Hotel. I think that is their plan for this purchase also.

Haven't heard that one.... :confused3

MATTinNH said:

This intriqued me so I looked some things up. Pretty interesting......

Mount Washington Resort to be sold

BRETTON WOODS, N.H. A developer and real-estate company are planning to buy the landmark Mount Washington Resort at Bretton Woods, including 900 acres and assets such as a ski center and 18-hole golf course, for 45 (M) million dollars.

The purchase of the resort by Celebration Associates and Crosland Incorporated is expected to take place this summer.

Mount Washington Resort Chairman Wayne Presby says the partnership that currently owns the complex says it's very aware of the economic benefits that the two companies can offer to the North Country, particularly given the loss of several major employers in Coos County over the past few months.

Celebration Associates, a real-estate company in South Carolina, formed an alliance with Crosland in 2001, a real estate investment and management company with development experience, to collaborate on projects.

Then I looked up Celebration Associates

The Crosland Group and Celebration Associates Form Strategic Alliance

Charlotte, N.C. (August 23, 2001) - Crosland, Inc., a private, diversified real estate investment and management company with extensive development experience, and Celebration Associates, LLC, a leading advisor and developer of mixed-use, master-planned communities in the Southeast, announced today that they have formed a strategic alliance to collaborate on select real estate projects.

Crosland will invest in select vertical development opportunities within master-planned communities, which are being managed by Celebration. Initial efforts are already underway on the Baxter Health Campus at the Village of Baxter in Fort Mill, S.C., with several other opportunities currently under evaluation.

“We are excited to be entering into this relationship with Celebration Associates,” said Todd Mansfield, CEO of Crosland. “They have a long-standing record with high quality villages and have been able to create a true sense of place in each of their developments. Through collaboration, we feel we can provide enhanced products and services to our clients and partners.”

Charles Adams, managing principal with Celebration Associates, said, “Our firm is pleased to have the opportunity to form this alliance with The Crosland Group. Their 64-year record of excellence and depth of experience in retail, commercial and residential development will enhance our ability to realize the full potential of the communities in which we are involved.”

Celebration Associates, based in Fort Mill, S.C., was founded by former Disney executives who oversaw the development of the Town of Celebration, a widely recognized community near Orlando, Fla., built by The Walt Disney Company. Crosland’s Todd Mansfield worked together with the principals at Celebration Associates for eight years at Disney.
About Celebration Associates
Celebration Associates, is a leading advisor and developer of mixed-use, master-planned communities and villages. Celebration’s principals and associates have extensive expertise in homebuilding, multi-family, retail, office, and seniors housing that they occasionally develop in and around the communities they manage. The firm’s current large-scale projects under management include the Governor’s Club, a 2,000-acre development near Chapel Hill, N.C., and the Village of Baxter, part of the 7,000-acre Clear Springs Plan in Fort Mill, S.C. Celebration communities are known for their natural amenities such as parks, walking trails and golf courses. Most incorporate community cornerstones such as educational, technological and health care facilities. Through its alliance with The Pinehurst Company, Celebration Associates also is involved in resort village development at Pinehurst, N.C., The Homestead in Hot Springs, Vir., and Daufuskie Island Club and Resort near Hilton Head, S.C.

Makes you wonder what the plan is......

Let me add to the rumors about new disney locations.I heard from someone in the military that disney has been looking at property in Summerville,Sc. Which if you think about isn't that far fetched. Summerville is right off of I-95, we already have a vacation club in hilton head and the disneydirect warehouse in the upstate. So I say bring on the parks!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter