• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney to Close Pools Overnight

hhuummm, what about all the "quiet" pools? They never have guards. Are they going to guard them now or close them entirely?????

This was my initial thought as well. I assume this means they intend to staff all quiet pools with lifeguards during approved swimming hours

What is this about a drowning at Pop? A google search turned up nothing for me...

Nevermind: Google News search turned up nothing; found it in regular Google. How sad. :(

How does a 13 year old boy die in a 4 foot pool with everyone around him? I don't get it.

I do think in the interest of safety the closing of pools overnight would be a good thing and as previous posters have mentioned this will cut out the noise from the pool for those trying to sleep

Another vote for closing the Pools overnight. Sorry but safety should always come first. JMHO :scratchin

I assume this means they intend to staff all quiet pools with lifeguards during approved swimming hours

It does appear that will have to be done.

I think it is going to be "strange" seeing ALL pools fenced now too after seeing most of them "open" all these years.

I think it's sad. One bad apple spoils the bunch. One in attentive parent ruining it for everyone.

Hmmm, Disney is responsible for everything huh? So if I allow my kid to run through my villa with a knife and she falls and stabs herself it is Disney's fault because they provided the knife? Are they going to fence the utensil drawer?

Seems overboard to me.

Great, another simple joy of life (swimming at night with hardly a soul around) taken away in the interest of "safety". I wish they would just wrap us up in bubble wrap already and place chips in our arms so that they can monitor us every second of the day so that we will all be safe.

:thumbsup2

As a couple others have said, I'm sure that noise is as big a reason as safety. I've seen mentioned in reviews talk about noise from pools at night. It's not like it seems like a huge issue, but it's certainly one that I've read complaints about.

Another vote for closing the Pools overnight. Sorry but safety should always come first. JMHO :scratchin

There is still such a thing as taking personal responsibility, as foreign as that concept seems to be becoming. It is way to easy to do something and then claim that someone should have kept you from doing it, instead of standing up and holding yourself accountable.

This is an extreme move when you look at how many people swim after hours and how few accidents have happened. Why not shut all the parks down at dusk and make everyone sit in their rooms to keep them safe? This is a huge over-reaction.

All the more reasons Disney is coming up with ideas and rumors to make us look else fit a vacation.... If the dumb people can't maintain and control themselves, why punish the multitudes that can.... It's like telling people their coffee is hot...has our society gotten that commonplaces that scruples are a thing of the past...? Closing the pools are at will surely impact one of the reasons we stay at WDW resorts...

You know what I just caught that makes this very silly? The fact that they are planning on opening the pools at 7 am but still are not sure they will have lifeguards that early! What would be the point of making the off limits at some times, and then leaving them open at others with no life guard on duty?:confused3

Of course that could be their out for not having lifeguards at the quiet pools. If this is all in the name of safety it is a pretty lame safety measure. As if people can't drown at 7 am as easily as 11 pm, or as if they can't drown in the quiet pools.:sad2:

I'm all for this decision if it's true. Here's why:

The "simple joy" of swimming late at night by 10-50 people can keep others awake. Plain and simple. It never ceases to amaze me that others can be so inconsiderate so late at night. I'm not suggesting all late night swimmers are loud, but I view this the same as city ordinances that don't allow lawn mowing after 9pm.

The "simple joy" of swimming late at night by 10-50 people can keep others awake. Plain and simple. It never ceases to amaze me that others can be so inconsiderate so late at night. I'm not suggesting all late night swimmers are loud, but I view this the same as city ordinances that don't allow lawn mowing after 9pm.

last time our room was near the "quiet pool" and there were a lot of loud people swimming after mid night. :mad: multiple calls to the Front Desk of course did nothing. Some us us like to do rope drop and have small children. We are early risers and always try to be quiet so as to not wake up those who like to be in the parks late and sleep in.

I don't know why people get so upset over rumors. I have not read anything about pools closing after 11pm except in here.

Although I have a very fond and romantic memory of the AKL pool after midnght a few years ago, LOL, I totally support this new policy. A pool without a lifeguard, especially at night, is not safe at all.

Wait, don't they have the lifts installed in all the pools that don't have zero depth entry? That was required as of March (I think) of this past year. Or do you mean that since there is no one to monitor the lifts at night they have to close the pools for everyone? Of course I didn't think there was anyone at the quiet pools during the day to run the lifts anyway.
I saw them at the resorts I've been at since last spring!!!

As a couple others have said, I'm sure that noise is as big a reason as safety. I've seen mentioned in reviews talk about noise from pools at night. It's not like it seems like a huge issue, but it's certainly one that I've read complaints about.

I doubt it's a safety issue. I think it's more of a noise issue. Not to mention the mess issue. I've walked by the pools in the early morning and man, I've seen some huge messes left by those midnight swimmers. Beer cans all over the place, paper cups strewn hither and yon. And someone has to clean it up!!
I've gone back to my room at Pop at 1am, and walked by the pool with a ton of kids in it!! You would have thought it was 1pm!!!
If Disney does this, they are going to have to fence in the pool areas...which would alleviate a lot of that pool hopping at the MK and Epcot resorts...that's a plus. I have to say that I don't think the pools at AoA are bad looking at all....they are both fenced in. You need a key to get in...well, you're supposed to anyway! Disney can make a fence look quite wonderful and themed!!!

I tend to agree that it may be more of a noise and garbage issue than a safety one. I have gotten to the point where I dread having a room that looks onto a pool-whether it's a main pool or a quiet one. The noise at night can be a royal pain when you're trying to get some sleep. Honestly, guests should not have to be calling the front desk every night to complain about the inconsiderate guests who want a pool party at midnight. And I agree with goofy4tink- the litter lying around in the mornings can be disgusting.

It's really too bad that the self-centered and inconsiderate minority has ruined late night swimming for the majority.

last time our room was near the "quiet pool" and there were a lot of loud people swimming after mid night. :mad: multiple calls to the Front Desk of course did nothing. Some us us like to do rope drop and have small children. We are early risers and always try to be quiet so as to not wake up those who like to be in the parks late and sleep in.

I don't get the issue here, if you don't want the noise from the pool, don't get a room by the pool. I understand its not considerate late at night, and I would never be loud at night if I were in the pool. I think the simple solution is to actually respond to calls about noise if that's a concern. I could say the same thing about morning swimmers. I like to sleep in, and if people are running around and in the pool in the morning making noise, it would wake me up if I was in a room overlooking the pool. You can't put one person's preference of wake and sleep time over another, everyone should just be considerate and they should enforce the "quiet" aspect of the "quiet pools"

For those of you are the "Safety" line, I get it, you don't think swimming past 11pm, or without a lifeguard is safe.

So don't swim after 11pm or without a lifeguard.

Who are you to impose your definition of safety on me and mine ? I wouldn't do that to you.

Its called individual responsibility. Yes there is a risk involved, but there is also a risk involved in many aspects of life. Hell there is probably a far greater risk in driving to Disney World then there is swimming at Disney world without a lifeguard .... but we aren't going to ban people from Driving to Disney are we ?

Didn't think so.

If you don't think its safe, don't do it. For me, its perfectly acceptable and I want to have the freedom to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter