Disney t-shirt and rash???

DisneyFreak06

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone, I have a strange question to ask...

Back in January, I started getting a rash on my back. I didn't know what was causing it, although I kept developing "theories" that I would then debunk. I went to a clinic and the doctor said there was no way of telling what was causing it (that was March.) This week I went to my own doctor and he said that it was Uticaria (which is basically hives from the Internet research I did). He said it's popping up in women in their 20s and 30s. I didn't have the rash when I went to the doctor, but I did the week before. I'm now taking a prescription antihistamine.

Yesterday morning, I put on an adorable t-shirt that I bought from the Disney Store. It is the kind that is tagless. My rash came back yesterday. I'm going to keep track of when it pops up and watch when I wear those shirts, but I've noticed it happens a lot on Fridays, and that's casual day... I wear my Disney clothing a lot on Fridays.

I looked on line and it seems that babies/kids were getting rashes from the tagless onesies and t-shirts from various companies. Do any of you seem to break out in a rash after wearing a tagless Disney (or any other) t-shirt?

TIA

I don't know about the T-shirts you have ... but I always react to new unwashed shirts (I must wash them before I wear them). At 48, I react to more things than ever. Especially shirts with modern fabric like Under armour compression shirts. Plastic lawn furniture will make me react if bar skin contacts it .. or even the straps of a back pack.

I know I am allergic to Dust Mites, Grass Pollen etc, but now I have been told that I have contact hives?

New shirts should always be washed before wearing due to 'sizers' - chemicals sprayed on a lot of clothing. Also you might want to check the blend of material. If it's a poly blend there is a possibility it's not allowing your skin to breathe properly although the poly of today is different of that from the 70's lol.

Ted, that's terrible that you're developing new allergies. I've never been sensitive to anything or had any allergies before.

The shirts have been washed, and worn different times. The label says that it's 50% organic cotton and 50% polyester. It's only where the "tag" is that the rash appears, although it has sometimes bothered my ear too. The only thing I can think of that's different on anything is the tag.

I was kind of hoping that someone was having similar issues and together we could figure out if it was the "tag" or not! :rotfl: Hopefully I can figure it out by not wearing the t-shirts for a bit and then letting the rash go away. Then if I take one out again and my break breaks out in the rash.... well, you get the idea!

Ted, that's terrible that you're developing new allergies. I've never been sensitive to anything or had any allergies before.

The shirts have been washed, and worn different times. The label says that it's 50% organic cotton and 50% polyester. It's only where the "tag" is that the rash appears, although it has sometimes bothered my ear too. The only thing I can think of that's different on anything is the tag.

I was kind of hoping that someone was having similar issues and together we could figure out if it was the "tag" or not! :rotfl: Hopefully I can figure it out by not wearing the t-shirts for a bit and then letting the rash go away. Then if I take one out again and my break breaks out in the rash.... well, you get the idea!

You can buy fusible webbing (often called fusible interfacing) that you would just iron on over the tagless area. It should cover up the ink/rubber that you are allergic to. Walmart and craft/fabric stores carry it. Make sure it only has the adhesive on one side.

My son is very sensitive to fabric and can only wear cotton. All the Disney onesies and sleepers I bought at WDW are fine for him.

You can buy fusible webbing (often called fusible interfacing) that you would just iron on over the tagless area. It should cover up the ink/rubber that you are allergic to. Walmart and craft/fabric stores carry it. Make sure it only has the adhesive on one side.

Thank you! That's a great idea. I will look into this. Friday is the "test" day. I haven't had the rash in weeks, and I'm going to put on one of my Disney store t-shirts. (Funny, I'm wearing a Disneyworld shirt today, with no tag, and it's fine, but the "tag" is smaller and different.)

my daughter gets a rash from the Disney Store shirts too even the 100% Organic cotton ones anywhere where there is print on the shirt and she has to take benedryl for it. Start paying atention to the print or silk screening on your shirts vs your rashes.

my daughter gets a rash from the Disney Store shirts too even the 100% Organic cotton ones anywhere where there is print on the shirt and she has to take benedryl for it. Start paying atention to the print or silk screening on your shirts vs your rashes.

Thanks... I haven't had any rashes at all since I stopped wearing the 4 or 5 Disney Store shirts with the giant "tagless" tag on it. I wish I could find out what "ingredients" they used in the tag to stay away from those chemicals.

It's definitely the plastic ... I react to plastic lawn chairs and other plastics, I have the same reaction when I wear a tag less shirt. I have to put benadryl cream on my back in that tag area.

I had Urticaria around 12 years ago. It started as a really small round red spot on my shin. After a couple of days it would vanish and then appear somwhere else. Each time it got bigger and more itchy as time went on. My family doctor said that it was one of those things that they cannot pinpoint what starts it - it could be stress, virus, etc. I had just had my first baby DS who was 6 weeks old when the first one appeared.

My doctor said it would last anywhere from 6 - 12 months. Sometimes it was so severe I had steriods as well as the anti-histamine. I had days when it was on my eyes and they would swell shut or I would wake up with my whole stomach red raw from scratching in my sleep.

Then one day, around 8 months, I realised that I hadn't noticed it for a while and touch wood it has never come back.

It didn't seem to have any 'triggers' and when it was bad, it felt like nothing would help except calomine and the anti-histamine.

I hope that you don't suffer too long.

I did a quick search online for you, and found this article describing your reaction exactly. It also lists some of the chemical ingredients:

http://parentingsquad.com/tagless-clothing-causing-rashes-and-blisters

Thanks, I'll have to take a look.

It's definitely the plastic ... I react to plastic lawn chairs and other plastics, I have the same reaction when I wear a tag less shirt. I have to put benadryl cream on my back in that tag area.

Oh yuck! I can't imagine reacting to everything like that. I've never had a reaction to anything like that before or after I stopped wearing the shirts. It's been almost a year since I stopped wearing them. (I found it odd that this old thread popped up again, to be honest!)

I had Urticaria around 12 years ago. It started as a really small round red spot on my shin. After a couple of days it would vanish and then appear somwhere else. Each time it got bigger and more itchy as time went on. My family doctor said that it was one of those things that they cannot pinpoint what starts it - it could be stress, virus, etc. I had just had my first baby DS who was 6 weeks old when the first one appeared.

My doctor said it would last anywhere from 6 - 12 months. Sometimes it was so severe I had steriods as well as the anti-histamine. I had days when it was on my eyes and they would swell shut or I would wake up with my whole stomach red raw from scratching in my sleep.

Then one day, around 8 months, I realised that I hadn't noticed it for a while and touch wood it has never come back.

It didn't seem to have any 'triggers' and when it was bad, it felt like nothing would help except calomine and the anti-histamine.

I hope that you don't suffer too long.

Oh that's terrible! Once I figured out what was causing the rashes, I stopped wearing the shirts and it hasn't been back. I was lucky enough to figure out that it was the "tags". I can't imagine having it as severely as you did! I'm glad it went away for you!

i remember a few years ago, there was a notice put out that that was happening to shirts made by carters, my V got a rash too, right where the tags were. i think it was something in the chemicals of the tags. bad batch or something they altered it and have been fine since.

i remember a few years ago, there was a notice put out that that was happening to shirts made by carters, my V got a rash too, right where the tags were. i think it was something in the chemicals of the tags. bad batch or something they altered it and have been fine since.

That's good to know. I wonder if Disney changed what they use. It was odd that it was only the Disney Store shirts, nothing from DL or WDW. I'm glad V hasn't had to deal with it either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter